The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DavidW

The media has always had a problem with accurate reporting on science news.  They go for sensationalism, don't understand how science works, describe things inaccurately with overly flowery prose, and are unable to correctly interpret the significance of what they read.  Journalists badly need a good dose of scientific literacy.

amw

Quote from: LKB on September 30, 2021, 10:45:10 AM
That wouldn't buy 251 square ft. where l live. 100, maybe, in the poorer areas.


I always feel weird when realising my home town is no longer the most expensive city in the world—450 in NYC can get you a 600+ square foot one bedroom in a nice neighbourhood close to the subway. (And here's me still finding that too expensive.)

(Of course from a musician point of view, NYC is just about as bad in terms of job situation right now; everyone who's smart and can get a visa moved to Berlin two years ago. Housing prices there are no longer affordable either, now, so a large number of musicians are relocating to places like Belgrade and Athens, which will have the same problem in five years.)

k a rl h e nn i ng

Quote from: steve ridgway on October 02, 2021, 04:52:31 AM
The Atlantic also widens by about an inch and a half per year so good bye America too. ;)

Exactly!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: amw on October 02, 2021, 08:34:22 AM
I always feel weird when realising my home town is no longer the most expensive city in the world—450 in NYC can get you a 600+ square foot one bedroom in a nice neighbourhood close to the subway. (And here's me still finding that too expensive.)

(Of course from a musician point of view, NYC is just about as bad in terms of job situation right now; everyone who's smart and can get a visa moved to Berlin two years ago. Housing prices there are no longer affordable either, now, so a large number of musicians are relocating to places like Belgrade and Athens, which will have the same problem in five years.)
Of the stories that you've heard, are most of them buying homes or renting?

PD

amw

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 02, 2021, 12:33:29 PM
Of the stories that you've heard, are most of them buying homes or renting?
The latter. It's been a long time since being a musician paid enough to be able to afford to buy a home. (Of course I don't know that many longterm orchestra musicians, & those I do know often ended up losing their jobs in e.g. the Minnesota Orchestra lockouts, the Met Opera layoffs, etc.)


Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: amw on October 02, 2021, 01:47:51 PM
The latter. It's been a long time since being a musician paid enough to be able to afford to buy a home. (Of course I don't know that many longterm orchestra musicians, & those I do know often ended up losing their jobs in e.g. the Minnesota Orchestra lockouts, the Met Opera layoffs, etc.)
:(


"Pandora Papers:  Secret wealth and dealings of world leaders exposed"  I wonder how accurate this information is?  It's intriguing though!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-58780465

PD

MusicTurner

#4107
BREAKING:
Facebook has been down now for several hours for quite a lot of users.

Maybe they could do this say for one day every week?

John Copeland

Quote from: DavidW on October 02, 2021, 08:13:51 AM
The media has always had a problem with accurate reporting on science news.  They go for sensationalism, don't understand how science works, describe things inaccurately with overly flowery prose, and are unable to correctly interpret the significance of what they read.  Journalists badly need a good dose of scientific literacy.

+1

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 04, 2021, 09:17:41 AM
BREAKING:
Facebook has been down now for several hours for quite a lot of users.

Maybe they could do this say for one day every week?
Amazing!  Think of all of the time people are now saving?!  :D

PD

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 04, 2021, 09:35:45 AM
Amazing!  Think of all of the time people are now saving?!  :D

PD


Yes, society might benefit quite a lot from this ...  :laugh:

John Copeland

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 04, 2021, 09:38:01 AM

Yes, society might benefit quite a lot from this ...  :laugh:

I can't stand FB.  I hope it crashes for good.   ???

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 04, 2021, 09:35:45 AM
Amazing!  Think of all of the time people are now saving?!  :D

PD

Saving time? They're incessantly clicking, "is it up yet, is it up yet, is it up yet?"
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

MusicTurner

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 04, 2021, 10:12:37 AM
Saving time? They're incessantly clicking, "is it up yet, is it up yet, is it up yet?"

Just give them time ...

k a rl h e nn i ng

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 04, 2021, 10:12:37 AM
Saving time? They're incessantly clicking, "is it up yet, is it up yet, is it up yet?"


(* chortle *)

For those who do, it's an opportunity to reflect, if they are yet capable of reflection.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

MusicTurner

The explanation will be interesting, since one would think that FB is using tons of money for service reliability.

An expert here says that it's probably not a hacking event, but an error in the company that provides IP addresses for all web users, a company that is external in relation to FB.

But we'll see.

k a rl h e nn i ng

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot


Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 04, 2021, 10:12:37 AM
Saving time? They're incessantly clicking, "is it up yet, is it up yet, is it up yet?"
:laugh:

Well, in any event, it's back.

PD

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 05, 2021, 05:03:22 AM
:laugh:

Well, in any event, it's back.

PD

Brings to mind the Simpson episode: cable TV goes out in c and (to the accompaniment of Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony) residents of Springfield are taking walks in the forest, picking flowers, writing poetry, etc. Life is blissful, until the TV comes back on and everyone is grimly glued to their TV sets again...
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington