The Back Room > The Diner

The unimportant news thread

<< < (838/889) > >>

MusicTurner:
IMO, some compensations for minor stuff can be ridiculously high, as told about occasionally in the international press, but for ruining a person's life due to such carelessness, only millions would do, and that just some of the way ...

There's the case of a woman, Stella Liebeck, spilling McDonald's hot coffee and getting $3 mio in a court case. There were some further details in the case, making it a bit more complicated than the incident itself, yet this is disproportionate, at the opposite end of the scale.

Spotted Horses:

--- Quote from: MusicTurner on December 02, 2021, 10:44:04 PM ---IMO, some compensations for minor stuff can be ridiculously high, as told about occasionally in the international press, but for ruining a person's life due to such carelessness, only millions would do, and that just some of way ...

There's the case of a woman, Stella Liebeck, spilling McDonald's hot coffee and getting $3 mio in a court case. There were some further details in the case, making it a bit more complicated than the incident itself, yet this is disproportionate, at the opposite end of the scale.

--- End quote ---

The initial judgment of $2.7 million in punitive damages was adjusted to $640k, which was three times the compensatory damages (her medical bills). The basis of the claim was that MacDonalds coffee was unreasonably hot, which seems doubtful since their coffee isn't out of line with other coffee vendors (according to wikipedia).

milk:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/12/03/ikea-denmark-snow-stranded/

A massive snowstorm left dozens stranded in an Ikea. They slept on the display beds.

Excerpts:
Store manager Peter Elmose told Ekstra Bladet, a Danish tabloid newspaper, that he encouraged everyone to “pick the exact bed they always have wanted to try.”
That evening, they watched television and enjoyed stuffed pork, hot cocoa and risalamande, a Danish rice pudding served during Christmastime, according to DR.
As everyone tucked themselves into bed, Elmose said he strolled around the floors singing good-night songs. In the morning, they had hot coffee and freshly baked cinnamon rolls.

MusicTurner:
Yes, we've had this winter's first snow here, and the storm in Northern Jutland was apparently a big one, 50 trucks got off the roads, etc. Here in Copenhagen, it was just some snow, for a couple of days; but rather nice with a bit of variation away from the very dark and very grey November.

Pohjolas Daughter:

--- Quote from: milk on December 03, 2021, 11:49:53 PM ---https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/12/03/ikea-denmark-snow-stranded/

A massive snowstorm left dozens stranded in an Ikea. They slept on the display beds.

Excerpts:
Store manager Peter Elmose told Ekstra Bladet, a Danish tabloid newspaper, that he encouraged everyone to “pick the exact bed they always have wanted to try.”
That evening, they watched television and enjoyed stuffed pork, hot cocoa and risalamande, a Danish rice pudding served during Christmastime, according to DR.
As everyone tucked themselves into bed, Elmose said he strolled around the floors singing good-night songs. In the morning, they had hot coffee and freshly baked cinnamon rolls.


--- End quote ---
In case you can't read the Post story, I found one here (with a short video):  https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/12/03/denmark-snowstorm-Ikea-sleepover-Aalborg-Denmark/1261638563791/

Way to go store manager and Ikea!   ;D


--- Quote from: MusicTurner on December 04, 2021, 12:00:45 AM ---Yes, we've had this winter's first snow here, and the storm in Northern Jutland was apparently a big one, 50 trucks got off the roads, etc. Here in Copenhagen, it was just some snow, for a couple of days; but rather nice with a bit of variation away from the very dark and very grey November.

--- End quote ---
Looks very pretty where you are MT!  I'm hoping to get at some more leaves here today myself (though it will be rather cold outside).

PD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version