The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 11, 2022, 09:22:12 AM
Maya Angelou to become the first Black woman to appear on U.S. quarter as Treasury rollout begins
Cool!  Though sad that it took this long for it to happen.

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 11, 2022, 09:42:14 AM
The last two times I dropped by a Starbucks the bakery case was basically empty. The supply chain crisis, omicron, Joe Biden's war on bacon? Impossible to tell, buy my diet has improved.
Bakery case and bacon...are we talking mini-quiches here or? :)

Well, good to hear that your diet has improved...though albeit reluctantly.  Personally, I miss the days of making crab meat quiches (with nice large and good crab!).  The price per pound of it is crazy now!  :'(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 11, 2022, 09:47:47 AMBakery case and bacon...are we talking mini-quiches here or? :)

Basically the Starbucks version of an Egg McMuffin.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 11, 2022, 09:49:38 AM
Basically the Starbucks version of an Egg McMuffin.
Gotcha!  I did discover, not that long ago, that one can buy rounds of ham/Canadian bacon(?) that are perfect for making at home Egg McMuffins.  The hardest part is getting the fried egg to be the right size so that it doesn't hang over the edge.  There's probably some sort of ring form that I could use in a pan.  In any event, topped with some melted cheese:   yum!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 11, 2022, 09:57:58 AM
Gotcha!  I did discover, not that long ago, that one can buy rounds of ham/Canadian bacon(?) that are perfect for making at home Egg McMuffins.  The hardest part is getting the fried egg to be the right size so that it doesn't hang over the edge.  There's probably some sort of ring form that I could use in a pan.  In any event, topped with some melted cheese:   yum!

PD

And in that case you would be sure the egg is really an egg, the bacon is really bacon, and the bun is really made from grain products, unlike at MacDonalds. :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 11, 2022, 10:00:23 AM
And in that case you would be sure the egg is really an egg, the bacon is really bacon, and the bun is really made from grain products, unlike at MacDonalds. :)
Eek!  I use real (normally organic, etc.) eggs, real ham or bacon and real English muffins.  What does MacDonalds use?  ???

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 11, 2022, 10:12:51 AMWhat does MacDonalds use?  ???

Who knows really? :)

Chicken McNuggets have been found to come in four distinct shapes, suggesting they are synthesized in some sort of reactor. :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 11, 2022, 10:18:03 AM
Who knows really? :)

Chicken McNuggets have been found to come in four distinct shapes, suggesting they are synthesized in some sort of reactor. :)
"Reactor"?   ???  Some sort of form mold me thinks.   I remember (years ago) learning that they couldn't call their shakes "milk shakes" because there wasn't enough milk in them--recall hearing that there was also a kind of "digestible plastic" in them.   ???

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

North Star

PD
One of these babies should do the job, depending on the size of your buns of course.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: North Star on January 11, 2022, 02:26:45 PM
One of these babies should do the job, depending on the size of your buns of course.

Thanks!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

PD

That's the only kind I know. Are there others ?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on January 12, 2022, 07:04:56 AM
I suspect that what I purchased at the time was rather just ham slices cut into circles.

And I did also find these (which might work better for me as I would not normally be feeding breakfast to a half-dozen people.  ;)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z51X66W/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B07Z51X66W&SubscriptionId=&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtagk70045-20&th=1

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on January 12, 2022, 07:04:56 AM

Here in the states, Canadian bacon is also known as Taylor ham, I think.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 12, 2022, 10:40:28 AM
Here in the states, Canadian bacon is also known as Taylor ham, I think.

More confusion.  :o

I found this article about the so-called canadian bacon :
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/canadian-bacon_n_56e305b4e4b0860f99d8e162

I've never bought or eaten it. When I read 'canadian bacon' in the posts above I assumed it was what I know simply as bacon.

In Canada canadian bacon loses its nationality. It is called back bacon and is not served very frequently - quite hard to find here actually. What we Canadians call bacon (pure and simple) is the same product found in the USA !

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on January 12, 2022, 12:06:43 PM
More confusion.  :o

I found this article about the so-called canadian bacon :
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/canadian-bacon_n_56e305b4e4b0860f99d8e162

I've never bought or eaten it. When I read 'canadian bacon' in the posts above I assumed it was what I know simply as bacon.

In Canada canadian bacon loses its nationality. It is called back bacon and is not served very frequently - quite hard to find here actually. What we Canadians call bacon (pure and simple) is the same product found in the USA !

Merci. I've at times wondered if the term "Canadian Bacon" might be problematic.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 29, 2021, 03:26:37 AM
An artist is loaned $84,000 to reproduce two earlier artworks originally made by himself and instead....well, you can read the article for yourself if interested.   :)

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/jens-haaning-kunsten-museum-modern-art/index.html

PD

The money should have been paid back yesterday at the latest, and following statements by the artist - that he won't be paying - the museum has now asked lawyers to deal with it, in a rather low-key manner not involving the police at first. They don't seem to be too keen on the attention nowadays, whereas the artist, who has already had some international success with his conceptual ~art events, appears to sting to it, and to insist on for example budgets and expenses that surely aren't particularly modest.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 16, 2022, 11:13:33 PM
The money should have been paid back yesterday at the latest, and following statements by the artist - that he won't be paying - the museum has now asked lawyers to deal with it, in a rather low-key manner not involving the police at first. They don't seem to be too keen on the attention nowadays, whereas the artist, who has already had some international success with his conceptual ~art events, appears to sting to it, and to insist on for example budgets and expenses that surely aren't particularly modest.
Thank you for the update MT.  Wonder how this will end?  From what I recall, that would have been way, way, too much money for that museum to have afforded...though I think that what they had offered to pay him was very little too, but he agreed to it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

This is nothing but simple thievery. I hope the " artist " is jailed and forced to make restitution.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

LKB

I just sent this to the former Scumbag-in- Chief:

" Just a simple reminder, sir, that you are the embodiment of everything that all true Americans should strive to avoid.  While many in the GOP ( Greedy, Obsequious Pussies ) continue their pathetic currying in hopes that your treasonous behavior will in some corrosive way benefit their political fortunes, I applaud the Party of Lincoln in their successful endeavor to help prevent your re-election. For you are, in fact, the the utter enemy of all who would preserve American democracy, and while l can't speak to your " political acumen ", I am in complete agreement with Mr. Tillerson's famous assessment of your intellectual capacity. May all your political endeavors continually fail, and your influence wane into oblivion.

Sincerely,

David Cavissi "

Sure, easy pickings and all that, and not the classiest behavior. But I'm tired after working 2300-0700, energy is low etc. So l took the easy route, and l won't apologize since I'm sure he'll never be exposed to it in any case.

G'night!
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

T. D.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/18/magazine/ai-technology-poker.html

Good poker players have always known that they need to maintain a balance between bluffing and playing it straight. Now they can do so perfectly.

Karl Henning

Google deceived consumers about how it profits from their location data, attorneys general allege in lawsuits
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA