The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. D.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/24/bob-dylan-sells-recorded-music-catalog-to-sony-music-entertainment.html

Sony Music Entertainment has acquired the entire recorded music catalog of Bob Dylan, the company announced Monday.

"Columbia Records and Rob Stringer have been nothing but good to me for many, many years and a whole lot of records," Dylan said in a statement. "I'm glad that all my recordings can stay where they belong."

The deal includes all of the famed singer's previous albums dating back to 1962 as well as the rights to multiple future releases. The deal closed in July 2021 and is estimated to be worth between $150 million and $200 million, according to Variety.

MusicTurner

Due to his wealth & overall work list, got interested in Dylan's lifestyle; there are photos from a Harlem home he sold recently, and actually it's rather disappointingly bland and conservative, with traits of the ~moderately palatial:

https://www.elledecor.com/celebrity-style/celebrity-homes/a9084132/bob-dylan-house/

Karl Henning

MFA to return stolen 17th-century painting to heirs of Jewish collector

By Malcolm Gay Globe Staff, Updated January 24, 2022, 3:23 p.m.

The Museum of Fine Arts has agreed to return a 17th century Dutch painting to the heirs of a Jewish collector, resolving longstanding concerns over the artwork's spotty ownership history.

The agreement restores ownership of the looted painting to the heirs of Ferenc Chorin, a Hungarian industrialist who placed the artwork in a bank vault before fleeing Hungary during World War II.

Chorin's heirs intend to auction the painting this April in New York at Christie's Old Masters sale, where it is expected to fetch between $500,000 and $700,000. The painting, titled "View of Beverwijk" (1646) by Salomon van Ruysdael, depicts a rural scene on the outskirts of Beverwijk, north of Haarlem in the Netherlands. It went on public view over the weekend.

"I am so pleased that we were able to quickly come to a resolution, leading to the return of the painting to its rightful owners," said MFA director Matthew Teitelbaum. "As a museum, we will continue to do our part to determine the rightful ownership of objects we hold in trust."

The agreement, which comes amid mounting pressure on museums to return stolen objects, is one of numerous claims the MFA has resolved in recent years. In 2017, the museum paid to retain a group of porcelain figurines sold amid Nazi persecution in 1937, and in 2014 it repatriated a group of looted Nigerian artifacts.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 25, 2022, 07:46:28 AM
Due to his wealth & overall work list, got interested in Dylan's lifestyle; there are photos from a Harlem home he sold recently, and actually it's rather disappointingly bland and conservative, with traits of the ~moderately palatial:

https://www.elledecor.com/celebrity-style/celebrity-homes/a9084132/bob-dylan-house/
I wonder how much of that was staging?  And dang, no photos of his stereo setup/music room?!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 25, 2022, 08:32:05 AM
I wonder how much of that was staging?  And dang, no photos of his stereo setup/music room?!

PD

Of course, there's probably been some priorities and cleaning out, but still, some overall impressions remain ... :)

T. D.

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 25, 2022, 08:37:05 AM
Of course, there's probably been some priorities and cleaning out, but still, some overall impressions remain ... :)

Thanks, very interesting!
I had no idea Dylan resided in Harlem (granted, Striver's Row was even then a rather genteel enclave therein  ;) ).

The photos were all taken from the CURRENT OWNER'S real estate listing (credited to Barbara Corcoran's real estate brokerage), nothing to do with how Dylan decorated the place. Dylan sold it to them way back in 2000.

MusicTurner

Thanks, sorry, I missed that detail, so it's uncertain how much of the interior decoration was left by Dylan, and obviously none of the furniture. So maybe his taste is less conventional.

Karl Henning

Quote from: T. D. on January 25, 2022, 11:33:37 AM
Thanks, very interesting!
I had no idea Dylan resided in Harlem (granted, Striver's Row was even then a rather genteel enclave therein  ;) ).

The photos were all taken from the CURRENT OWNER'S real estate listing (credited to Barbara Corcoran's real estate brokerage), nothing to do with how Dylan decorated the place. Dylan sold it to them way back in 2000.

Ah, illuming!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

T. D.

I took some time to carefully read the story, because I always got the impression Dylan was extremely private and couldn't imagine him having a residence profiled in a magazine (which generally requires retaining a PR agent to engineer).

Doesn't look like the owner (seller) is playing the Dylan card at all in her 2017 listing (and Dylan sold in 2000). So I'll attribute the decor, layout, modifications to the owner rather than Bob.

I saw "elledecor.com" and thought the site might have been connected with Elle magazine. But it appears to be a non-entity that cribs photos of "celebrity residences" from real estate listings. Not too impressive.

SimonNZ

I've always heard Malibu as Dylan's main residence

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 25, 2022, 08:20:37 AM
MFA to return stolen 17th-century painting to heirs of Jewish collector

By Malcolm Gay Globe Staff, Updated January 24, 2022, 3:23 p.m.

The Museum of Fine Arts has agreed to return a 17th century Dutch painting to the heirs of a Jewish collector, resolving longstanding concerns over the artwork's spotty ownership history.

The agreement restores ownership of the looted painting to the heirs of Ferenc Chorin, a Hungarian industrialist who placed the artwork in a bank vault before fleeing Hungary during World War II.

Chorin's heirs intend to auction the painting this April in New York at Christie's Old Masters sale, where it is expected to fetch between $500,000 and $700,000. The painting, titled "View of Beverwijk" (1646) by Salomon van Ruysdael, depicts a rural scene on the outskirts of Beverwijk, north of Haarlem in the Netherlands. It went on public view over the weekend.

"I am so pleased that we were able to quickly come to a resolution, leading to the return of the painting to its rightful owners," said MFA director Matthew Teitelbaum. "As a museum, we will continue to do our part to determine the rightful ownership of objects we hold in trust."

The agreement, which comes amid mounting pressure on museums to return stolen objects, is one of numerous claims the MFA has resolved in recent years. In 2017, the museum paid to retain a group of porcelain figurines sold amid Nazi persecution in 1937, and in 2014 it repatriated a group of looted Nigerian artifacts.
Sorry that I had missed this story earlier.  I'm glad that the heirs were able to get the painting back.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

On my facebook wall I kept seeing posts by "Anne Sophie Mutter" followed by replies by "Anne-Sophie Mutter" saying that "Anne Sophie Mutter" is a fake account. (Notice the account claimed to be fake didn't have the hyphen in "Anne-Sophie".) Now I see comments from "Anne-Sophie Mutter" that posts by "Anne-Sophie Mutter" are fake, and both names link to the same facebook account? Is Anne-Sohpie Mutter claiming her own account is fake? Did Facebook merge the accounts? I don't care! All I want is for both of them to disappear from my facebook feed!
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 28, 2022, 07:28:27 AM
On my facebook wall I kept seeing posts by "Anne Sophie Mutter" followed by comments by "Anne-Sophie Mutter" saying that "Anne Sophie Mutter" is a fake account. (Notice the account claimed to be fake didn't have the hyphen in "Anne-Sophie".) Now I see comments from "Anne-Sophie Mutter" that posts by "Anne-Sophie Mutter" are fake, and both names link to the same facebook account? Is Anne-Sohpie Mutter claiming her own account is fake? Did Facebook merge the accounts? I don't care! All I want is for both of them to disappear from my facebook feed!
Bizarre!  :o

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 28, 2022, 07:38:49 AM
Bizarre!  :o

PD

I discovered I was following Anne-Sophie Mutter (but not Anne Sophie Mutter, apparently). I unfollowed, problem solved! :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 28, 2022, 07:42:18 AM
I discovered I was following Anne-Sophie Mutter (but not Anne Sophie Mutter, apparently). I unfollowed, problem solved! :)
Ah, mystery solved!
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Yes, I noticed it too a while ago (FB will provide you with info about such profiles, if you've shown interest in classical music). The real ASM is the Anne-Sophie Mutter, the one with the 'V' in a blue circle ...

There are many examples of fans creating FB pages allegedly belonging to famous artists, and it's not always obvious what is going on. FB is apparently very tolerant in many cases.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

greg

I didn't read the articles... but from the titles, are they unaware of VR Chat? It's been out for years. I'm sure that happens all the time, this wouldn't be anything new.
Probably they are unaware of it because it would be considered too lowbrow and not connected to any massive corporation, so none of their concern.

Once haptic suits are a thing, I can see the legal aspect of such games being more complicated. At that point, if you put the suit on, you'll just have to accept that anyone, male or female, will be groping your regardless.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

drogulus

U.S. Exposes What It Says Is Russian Effort to Fabricate Pretext for Invasion

Also, this:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtoeKH7BQdzEAClIZoH6vdw/about

The account started up in mid December. I was surprised to learn a US nuclear sub blew up off the coast of China. Also "20 minutes ago! America openly surrendered Ukraine to Russia- Zelensky's fate was decided that night!"
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya