The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

From the Gray Lady:

W.H.O. Declares Monkeypox Spread a Global Health Emergency

There have been more than 16,000 cases outside Africa, and the virus has reached 75 countries and territories.

Locally, health care providers are following protocols to treat anyone with any rash with extra care and scrutiny.  That includes toddlers with eczema.  Really.  Because it is entirely sensible to ignore the actual risk factors and behaviors causing the spread of the disease outside of Africa. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on July 23, 2022, 06:39:33 AM
From the Gray Lady:

W.H.O. Declares Monkeypox Spread a Global Health Emergency

There have been more than 16,000 cases outside Africa, and the virus has reached 75 countries and territories.

Locally, health care providers are following protocols to treat anyone with any rash with extra care and scrutiny.  That includes toddlers with eczema.  Really.  Because it is entirely sensible to ignore the actual risk factors and behaviors causing the spread of the disease outside of Africa.

You don't want to open that can of worms, do you?  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on July 23, 2022, 06:50:14 AM
You don't want to open that can of worms, do you?  ;D

US public health policy suffers from a lack of candor and succumbs to both sensationalism and inappropriate political pressure.  The response to Covid continues to be muddled two years in, and Monkeypox may very well be comparatively worse.

Jo498

Obviously it is more o.k. to close schools and terminate everyday activities like pubs, concerts, sports, sometimes even normal shopping for millions and for many months than to tell a tiny minority to abstain from unprotected sex parties with strangers for a few weeks...
It's another indication that the Western world has become completely mad in the last few years.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

drogulus

Quote from: Jo498 on July 23, 2022, 11:35:01 AM
Obviously it is more o.k. to close schools and terminate everyday activities like pubs, concerts, sports, sometimes even normal shopping for millions and for many months than to tell a tiny minority to abstain from unprotected sex parties with strangers for a few weeks...

Those are not the options, though. We do tell the general public everyday activities must be limited for sound reasons, and tiny minorities about dangers they face due to activities that the general public doesn't engage in. I trust the complaint here is that this isn't clear enough. But, but......it's clear to me, and to you, and to many others, even though I'll grant that public communication hasn't caught up to optimal. I treat this as typical early days confusion about how best to tell people about something that affects people very differently.

Majorities are being told what applies to them, and we know it. Are minorities being told about what applies to them, or not? I'm not one, so I'd be guessing. My guess is they are getting good info, but that's a guess.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

MusicTurner

Quote from: Jo498 on July 23, 2022, 11:35:01 AM
(...) 
It's another indication that the Western world has become completely mad in the last few years.

The mood and expert advise here in DK is that the recent Monkey Pox statement has been an unfortunate exaggeration. It is not taken literally here.

JBS

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 25, 2022, 10:02:42 AM
The mood and expert advise here in DK is that the recent Monkey Pox statement has been an unfortunate exaggeration. It is not taken literally here.

It's also good to remember that monkeypox is much less lethal and apparently is less likely to require hospitalization than Covid, so it will result in far less strain on the healthcare syatem.

Which is a good thing because the latest variants of Covid seem to be ramping up their spread.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

DavidW

Actor David Warner passed away at 80.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on July 26, 2022, 04:01:37 AM

What a marvelous career!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

US Dependence on Taiwan Chips Is 'Untenable,' Raimondo Says

Quote from: United States Secretary of Commerce Gina M. RaimondoThis is a Sputnik moment for America...I mean that very sincerely. And this is a project we're working on.

The U.S. wants to spend $52 billion to become a chips powerhouse. Experts say that hundreds of billions—and decades—is needed to crack its reliance on Asia

All aboard the gravy train.

LKB

So has Paul Sorvino, aged 83. RIP...
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

LKB

And now Tony Dow, from Leave it to Beaver. He was 77.

MusicTurner

Quote from: LKB on July 26, 2022, 11:28:08 AM

Seems to have been an unfortunate, wrong announcement ...

EDIT: he is at a hospice though.

Karl Henning

Tangentially, even as a boy, I had no patience with either Leave it to Beaver, or My Three Sons.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

Quote from: LKB on July 26, 2022, 11:02:40 AM
So has Paul Sorvino, aged 83. RIP...

Quote from: LKB on July 26, 2022, 11:28:08 AM

A lot of pop culture memories here.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Pohjolas Daughter

This story made me groan and feel like putting my head in my hands.  Why did she bother to attend the event?  Or what was she thinking at the time?   :(  Still, not fun to have your photo in a news story along with the criticism.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/25/golf/fan-golf-ball-korda-evian-championship-spt-intl/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

DavidW

LKB

drogulus

China a a bit larval when it comes to chips. They can't make a CPU worth shit. Chinese electronics mostly contain chips designed in the US and manufactured in enemy territory.

I'm not very heavy on chips. I have Intel and Broadcom, and maybe a taste in tech ETFs. A Vanguard fund I have is tech focused. Onshoring chip manufacture will be expensive, though most will be private investment spurred by government seeding. Given the uncertainties in global tech it makes sense.

I think high end chip manufacture might better be located in Mexico if that could be done.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0