The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 10, 2022, 09:06:56 AM
And, in other non-surprising news: Domino's leaves Italy, where — surprise — diners prefer local pizza

Yes, who would ever have imagined such a thing?   ;)

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 11, 2022, 05:57:12 AM
:laugh:

Can't believe that they would have even considered the prospect of trying to open up shop there!

PD

Indeed, that's the question.  :D Honestly, I didn't even know there was Domino in Italy too.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

LKB

Salman Rushdie was just attacked in Western New York, apparently as he was beginning a lecture. Breaking story, but apparently someone rushed the stage and punched or stabbed Rushdie.

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Argentina hikes interest rates to 69.5% as the inflation rate reaches 71%.  Roller coaster.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/12/economy/argentina-inflation-interest-rates/index.html

Todd

A disastrous megaflood is coming to California, experts say, and it could be the most expensive natural disaster in history

Quote from: Payton Major, Judson Jones and Brandon MillerDaniel Swain, a climate scientist with UCLA and a researcher involved in the study, describes a megaflood as, "a very severe flood event across a broad region that has the potential to bring catastrophic impacts to society in the areas affected." He said a megaflood is similar to the 1,000-year flash flood events seen this summer in the St. Louis area and Kentucky, but across a much wider area, such as the entire state of California.

Bold type added.  This story made it to the ABC World News Tonight broadcast last night, with super-hunky weatherman Rob Marciano (formerly a weatherman in PDX!) delivering the grim prognostication.  So this is official propaganda now.  Just think if the entire state of California gets inundated.  That seems, strictly speaking, impossible.  Maybe some more grant money can help sort the whole thing out.

Jo498

el capitan will stay dry, I'd guess.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

ritter

Or at least Mount Whitney, I hope...

Todd

Spotted Horses

I was saddened to read of the senseless death of Anne Heche in a car crash, a talented and charismatic actor who long battled mental health issues probably related to a traumatic family history. I also feel for the woman who lived in the home that burned in the ensuing fire and lost her home and most of her possessions.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

I witnessed (half visually and half auditively) the gruesome murder of a puppy. The problem is threefold compounded: (1) it was a puppy that my son found in the streets and wanted to keep, (2) I could have prevented it but when I realized what was really going on it was too late, and (3) the one who murdered it is a member of my family (husband of my wife's late aunt --- thank God he's not blood-related). Ever since, I can't get it out of my head and I told my wife, my mother-in-law and the husband of one of that man's daughters that I don't want to be with him (the murderer, that is) in the same place at the same time anymore (they all agreed that I am right). He's not a human being, he's a despicable brute.

No, really, I am shocked and I'm afraid it will take a long time to forget the whole thing.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Pohjolas Daughter

Interesting story on NPR regarding the Rhine, water levels and commercial transportation.  One of the facts that came out:  It takes 40 trucks to carry one bargeful of grain.  There is actually more boat traffic on the Rhine than normal because they can't carry as much cargo as usual; they are having to carry less cargo (weight) as they don't want to run aground.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/16/1117658727/shallow-rhine-river-has-a-devastating-effect-on-commercial-traffic

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 16, 2022, 06:24:48 AM
Interesting story on NPR regarding the Rhine, water levels and commercial transportation.  One of the facts that came out:  It takes 40 trucks to carry one bargeful of grain.  There is actually more boat traffic on the Rhine than normal because they can't carry as much cargo as usual; they are having to carry less cargo (weight) as they don't want to run aground.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/16/1117658727/shallow-rhine-river-has-a-devastating-effect-on-commercial-traffic

PD

Gosh!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

PD

And it was just a few years ago that there was catastrophic flooding on the Rhine river. The most unique characteristic of our fossil fuel juiced climate is greater fluctuations in weather.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 16, 2022, 07:33:55 AM
And it was just a few years ago that there was catastrophic flooding on the Rhine river. The most unique characteristic of our fossil fuel juiced climate is greater fluctuations in weather.
Hard to fathom it (Sorry--unintentional pun!).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

PD

I think that most Mid- and South-European major rivers and lakes are now experiencing the drought, that is maybe becoming 'the worst in 500 years'.

We had a little, modest rain during the night, but as usual, without any real effect. It's often above 20 C during the night.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 16, 2022, 07:40:28 AM
Hard to fathom it (Sorry--unintentional pun!).

PD

I smiled, in spite of myself :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 16, 2022, 07:55:52 AM
I think that most Mid- and South-European major rivers and lakes are now experiencing the drought, that is maybe becoming 'the worst in 500 years'.

We had a little, modest rain during the night, but as usual, without any real effect. It's often above 20 C during the night.
Eek!

Apparently at Koblenz, the deepest part of the river is only 5 feet!  Depending upon your height, you could literally walk out to the middle of the river!  :'(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 16, 2022, 08:13:59 AM
Eek!

Apparently at Koblenz, the deepest part of the river is only 5 feet!  Depending upon your height, you could literally walk out to the middle of the river!  :'(

PD

Ouch!

Karl Henning

And, in Amusing Mis-readings: My brain switched one noun with the result, a young, American composer hoping to achieve sobriety
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA