The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Todd on March 31, 2023, 05:46:05 AMFrom Bloomberg: Trump Indictment Is Going to Make US Politics Even More Divisive

It's never a good look when the government at any level, controlled by one party, prosecutes the leading figure of the opposition party while that figure is running for office.  It has a strong whiff of Latin America about it.  This case could pave the way for more political prosecutions. 

Just when you think chaos and dysfunction couldn't get any worse/better, it does!

Indictment, not prosecution. Grand Jury in NY court voted for the decision, independently of Dem Party in the executive or legislative branches of Federal Gov.

Usually judicial decisions are made independent of their social/political impact.

Todd

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on March 31, 2023, 09:37:36 AMGrand Jury in NY court voted for the decision, independently of Dem Party in the executive or legislative branches of Federal Gov.

Bragg is a Democrat.  Grand juries indict in ~98% of cases they hear.  This is a political prosecution.  People can feel free to believe that this is not a political prosecution if they wish.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on March 31, 2023, 09:12:21 AMOr just make it a News Thread and let the readers decide themselves how important the news are..
You've missed the point, Poju. Let this thread be itself. You want to create a general News thread, feel free!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Not surprisingly, the Red Sox already are back in last place
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 31, 2023, 09:26:32 AMI've seen organic and free range eggs for as high as $8/dozen (at a large supermarket). Various brands are sometimes on sale, but then there's normally a run on them.  Not certain what the large conventional commercial brands are going for these days.

PD

I buy store brand which runs $3 a dozen for large eggs.

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 31, 2023, 11:12:26 AMNot surprisingly, the Red Sox already are back in last place

You know as a Bostonian you should compose some kind of lamentation for the Red Sox's history. 8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on March 31, 2023, 11:14:44 AMI buy store brand which runs $3 a dozen for large eggs.
I know, they're normally a lot cheaper.  All egg prices went up due to the *avian bird flu (here in the US) though apparently (according to one article that I read), one company's "specialty" eggs ended up being slightly cheaper in 2022 due to, from what I understand, the avian flu hit the hardest at the large conventional egg producers and the smaller specialty ones were less impacted by it.  As an aside, at one point in time, egg companies were killing their whole flocks of chickens when they discovered that some of the birds had the flu--it spreads that quickly and rapidly kills the chickens.  :(

*though I also suspect that with everything else rising in prices (like fuel and electricity), there would be a market adjustment too (supply and demand plus rising cost of living).

The fresh farm eggs that I received were obviously from different types of chickens (some brown but some also green) and looked to be a combo of large to jumbo sized eggs.  You can't purchase eggs like these in a regular store--only from a farm stand (and not always there)--or as a gift from someone who raises chickens for their family.  So, a thoughtful gift from someone who also loves to cook.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

From Barron's: China, Brazil Strike Deal To Ditch Dollar For Trade

Russia, China, and India now trade energy in currencies other than dollars.  Saudi Arabia announced in January it will transact in currencies other than the dollar.  Now this.  America's exorbitant privilege is on the way out.  It will take a while, but it will end.  Time to start looking at account requirements for Singaporean banks.

LKB

Quote from: DavidW on March 31, 2023, 11:14:44 AMI buy store brand which runs $3 a dozen for large eggs.

I pay a bit more, and I eat lots of eggs... ( If it turn's out there's a Supreme Being after all, and it happens to be a chicken, I'll have some 'splainin' to do. )
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

DavidW

Quote from: LKB on March 31, 2023, 03:01:01 PMI pay a bit more, and I eat lots of eggs... ( If it turn's out there's a Supreme Being after all, and it happens to be a chicken, I'll have some 'splainin' to do. )

Eggs and toast have become my go to breakfast.

71 dB

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 31, 2023, 10:30:15 AMYou've missed the point. Let this thread be itself. You want to create a general News thread, feel free!

I haven't been very active here recently as you probably have seen. I have also felt better just doing my thing (and not missing the point).
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on March 31, 2023, 03:38:25 PMI haven't been very active here recently as you probably have seen. I have also felt better just doing my thing (and not missing the point).
Very good. Great news about Turkey approving Finland's admission!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Karl Henning

Why Gregg Popovich resisted the Hall of Fame for so long, and why he's OK with being inducted now
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Wendell_E

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 31, 2023, 05:17:17 AMAnd extortion is illegal. In that context Trump actually is a victim. Why wasn't Stormy Daniels prosecuted?

As I understand it, Daniels didn't extort the money, the offer to pay for her denial originated with Trump's people.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Todd

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 02, 2023, 08:56:15 AMAre Video Games the New Comic Books?

That title is a bit misleading.  They either meant in relation to film, or stupidly equate success with film adaptations.  Video games outsell all that Hollywood produces by a country mile.  If you didn't know video games generate $100 billion in revenue per year.

Karl Henning

Transparency needed in Cannabis Control Commission investigations
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Not that this invites cynicism, oh no:

Silicon Valley Bank's risk model flashed red. So its executives changed it.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA