The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 08, 2018, 06:29:14 PM
To be fair, the Right has similar fantasies regarding Hillary...

Yes, but she lost the big one, and an imprisoned former Senator and Secretary of State just doesn't have the same pizazz as an imprisoned former President. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Ken B

Todd

SurprisedByBeauty

Having been called an example of "the egregious level to which certain internet music journalism has sunk" by Daniel Hope, I've now had a review called "incredibly insightful" by Philip Glass. I think that about evens the score.  ;D

Ken B

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on April 15, 2018, 05:45:47 AM
Having been called an example of "the egregious level to which certain internet music journalism has sunk" by Daniel Hope, I've now had a review called "incredibly insightful" by Philip Glass. I think that about evens the score.  ;D
Cool!

Todd

Baron Scarpia

One of my friends has deactivated her facebook account. How will I spy on her now?   ::)

André

Only in Canada...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/house-of-commons-hears-tributes-moment-of-silence-for-humboldt-broncos-1.3887236

338 MPs from all political parties donned hockey jerseys in Monday's session to pay tribute to the 16 victims of the bus crash that decimated a local hockey team. A welcome show of unity and humanity from our fractious politicians.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 17, 2018, 03:44:32 PM
One of my friends has deactivated her facebook account. How will I spy on her now?   ::)

The old-fashioned way: with binoculars and a telephoto lens  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 18, 2018, 06:47:30 AM
The old-fashioned way: with binoculars and a telephoto lens  ;D

Sarge

My binoculars are of limited utility at a range of 300 miles. :)

On a more sobering note, I found out that my friend was motivated to delete her facebook account after a very serious identity-fraud attack.

amw

https://donotlink.it/YjZP

Lebrecht & co. on the Pulitzer Prize in Music being awarded to a hip-hop album.

I don't want to keep calling things he does a "new low", but this is probably a new low.

Spineur

kishnevi

Quote from: Spineur on April 24, 2018, 12:05:10 PM
Somewhat surprising and a bit shocking

Anti-Semitic letter by Wagner sold at auction in Jerusalem

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-israel-wagner/anti-semitic-letter-by-wagner-sold-at-auction-in-jerusalem-idUKKBN1HV2KE

Facts are facts. He was a horrible person but a great musician.

Bernstein said of Wagner, "I despise him on bended knee."

Baron Scarpia

The US House of Representatives Chaplin was apparently fired for offering this prayer during the period when the tax cut was being considered:

QuoteMay all members be mindful that the institutions and structures of our great nation guarantee the opportunities that have allowed some to achieve great success, while others continue to struggle. May their efforts these days guarantee that there are not winners and losers under new tax laws, but benefits balanced and shared by all Americans.

The wish that the benefits of tax cuts be shared by all Americans was evidently considered abhorrent by the Republican caucus.  ???

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43925423

Wendell_E

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 27, 2018, 02:21:52 PM

The wish that the benefits of tax cuts be shared by all Americans was evidently considered abhorrent by the Republican caucus.  ???

That's important, but not really news.  ;)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

LKB

This certainly qualifies as unimportant news:

From now until my favorite film re-enters the theaters on May 18th, any posts of mine in the " x-word posts " threads or other such fun threads, will relate to either 2001: A Space Odyssey specifically, or to general cinematic terms, devices etc.

I know, you've been waiting all week to read that...  :D

Just my whimsical way of expressing my building excitement for the event, I'll be back to my normal, boring self soon enough.

1:4:9,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on April 28, 2018, 07:53:16 AM
This certainly qualifies as unimportant news:

From now until my favorite film re-enters the theaters on May 18th, any posts of mine in the " x-word posts " threads or other such fun threads, will relate to either 2001: A Space Odyssey specifically, or to general cinematic terms, devices etc.

I know, you've been waiting all week to read that...  :D

Just my whimsical way of expressing my building excitement for the event, I'll be back to my normal, boring self soon enough.

1:4:9,

LKB

Follow your bliss!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Baron Scarpia

On an earnings call for Tesla, an analyst asked about revenue and production levels of the Model 3. Musk replied, "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next." The stock lost 8% of it's value.

Time to short Tesla? I think they are going down, hard.  :o

Todd