The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Ken B on April 24, 2019, 02:47:19 PM
Some people confuse sardonic observation with outrage. But your position is that it's only an outrage when the bigwigs at Fox bless him?

I should be surprised if someone somewhere is willing to overlook the behavior of this scumbag, presumably because he looks good? There is no one on the planet that does not have a following of apologists. Even the guy who shot all those students in Parkland Florida has internet groupies. Lord, I hear that some GoT fanatics are rooting for the Night King! (Well, I am, sort of.)

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 24, 2019, 02:52:04 PM
I should be surprised if someone somewhere is willing to overlook the behavior of this scumbag, presumably because he looks good? There is no one on the planet that does not have a following of apologists. Even the guy who shot all those students in Parkland Florida has internet groupies. Lord, I hear that some GoT fanatics are rooting for the Night King! (Well, I am, sort of.)
True. Even Boulez has admirers.

greg

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 24, 2019, 02:52:04 PM
Dude... I might be with you on that one. Why the Night King for you? For me it's that that world disgusts me so much that it would be best to just start from scratch tbh.

Other option I wouldn't mind is Jon + Daenerys, which would be great, but not sure that world would be much less disgusting than its current state.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Ken B

Kim Foxx, the Chicago prosecutor who lied about recusing herself in the Smollett case, has been posing for selfies with another accused, and had to actually recuse herself.
https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter/news/state-s-attorney-forced-to-recuse-herself-after-posing-with-defendant-for-selfie-1wG9YSdLE061Zv-elfcevg/

Biffo

From the BBC website  - 'Fake Lego gang' dismantled in $30m Chinese raid - presumably brick by brick

greg

Not news, but something I had the question of: which has a higher fertility rate, blue or red states? So I checked... and yeah, I guessed right. Red states.

Seems the party that wants to promote things such as abortion and blurring the genders is literally erasing its own future. And may be the reason why the newest generation is starting to lean more conservative.

The starkest contrast is the Dakotas vs. Minnesota. I guess you reap what you sow.

North Star

Quote from: greg on April 27, 2019, 09:21:57 AM
Not news, but something I had the question of: which has a higher fertility rate, blue or red states? So I checked... and yeah, I guessed right. Red states.

Seems the party that wants to promote things such as abortion and blurring the genders is literally erasing its own future. And may be the reason why the newest generation is starting to lean more conservative.

The starkest contrast is the Dakotas vs. Minnesota. I guess you reap what you sow.
High fertility rates correlate with young mothers, lack of education, some forms of Christianity (for promoting starting a big family at a young age, for saying condoms are evil, for discouraging education), and poverty - all of which are strong indicators for voting Republicans for the poorest 99% of Americans. And the dark purple in the middle could also be all those young Mexicans getting children while trying to get to the promised land of Canada.  0:) Abortion and LBTQetc are hardly a reason for this difference in demographics. So yes, it's true that Republican politics that keep a majority of the population in the 'red states' poor and uneducated, keeps them in power.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on April 27, 2019, 10:04:28 AM
High fertility rates correlate with young mothers, lack of education, some forms of Christianity (for promoting starting a big family at a young age, for saying condoms are evil, for discouraging education), and poverty - all of which are strong indicators for voting Republicans for the poorest 99% of Americans. And the dark purple in the middle could also be all those young Mexicans getting children while trying to get to the promised land of Canada.  0:) Abortion and LBTQetc are hardly a reason for this difference in demographics. So yes, it's true that Republican politics that keep a majority of the population in the 'red states' poor and uneducated, keeps them in power.
Bigoted twaddle. Seriously, a majority "poor and uneducated "?  ::)
You are smarter than that Karlo.

greg

High fertility rates correlate with young mothers, lack of education, some forms of Christianity (for promoting starting a big family at a young age, for saying condoms are evil, for discouraging education), and poverty - all of which are strong indicators for voting Republicans for the poorest 99% of Americans.
I mean, yeah. Pretty much. If you want to build your numbers, this is the way to go.

As for young mothers, I'd only consider it an issue if it's something like before the age of 20 or so. Having babies at prime fertility age is super important.

And the dark purple in the middle could also be all those young Mexicans getting children while trying to get to the promised land of Canada.  0:)
Well, at least for Texas, it might be the case. I'll see very, very soon when I move to a place that is majority Hispanic.  ;D

Abortion and LBTQetc are hardly a reason for this difference in demographics.
Well... are LGBTQ people procreating at faster rates than conservative Christians? Or any conservative groups, like Muslims? (if you look at the physical aspect, then...)

It's not a bad thing, don't get me wrong. Actually the fact that the US is below fertility replacement rates is great. Keeping the population stable at this point seems ideal.

So yes, it's true that Republican politics that keep a majority of the population in the 'red states' poor and uneducated, keeps them in power.
I'd say that plenty of both blue and red states suck ass. I mean, have you heard about cities like San Francisco or Seattle (both in blue states) lately?

It seems to be more or less all over the map. Though a case could be made for the southeastern region being quite poor.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Ken B

The NYT abandons "literally Hitler"

I guess the editors decided portraying Jews as dogs was best left out of the domestic edition.

JBS

Quote from: Ken B on April 27, 2019, 06:47:10 PM
The NYT abandons "literally Hitler"

I guess the editors decided portraying Jews as dogs was best left out of the domestic edition.

I have no problem with that cartoon. Bibi as Trump's housebroken pet is not a bad illustration of the situation.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Who knows? Mebbe Bibi signed an NDA....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

You think it's just a dig at Bibi? Why is Trump wearing a yarmulke and dark glasses? Why is Trump being pulled along?  The Times itself has referred to it now as anti Semitic and apologized.

JBS

Quote from: Ken B on April 27, 2019, 07:07:46 PM
You think it's just a dig at Bibi? Why is Trump wearing a yarmulke and dark glasses? Why is Trump being pulled along?  The Times itself has referred to it now as anti Semitic and apologized.

I don't see anything wrong with the cartoon.  Bibi has made a fundamental error by openly siding with the GOP, thereby making it easy for Democrats to turn against Israel. The harm to Israel that will come from that will live on long after Bibi is gone.  And all Bibi has really gained is a few favors that are big on style but little in substance.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: JBS on April 27, 2019, 07:17:12 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the cartoon.  Bibi has made a fundamental error by openly siding with the GOP, thereby making it easy for Democrats to turn against Israel. The harm to Israel that will come from that will live on long after Bibi is gone.  And all Bibi has really gained is a few favors that are big on style but little in substance.

That was the thrust of Chuck Schumer's speech at AIPAC this year. The US Israel relationship has traditionally been bipartisan and by openly siding with the GOP Netanyahu is doing great damage.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Apparently the Night King did not win. :(

greg

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 29, 2019, 09:52:25 AM
Apparently the Night King did not win. :(
I was thinking the theory that Bran was the Night King was something... then no...

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

An article I saw today says that thousands of girls born in the US have been named Khaleesi, after the Game of Thrones character. Their parents just found out that they named their daughter after a genocidal maniac!

Oooops.