The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

Quote from: JBS on October 27, 2019, 12:17:09 PM
Let me step in to clarify.
Massachusetts's method of honoring the right to petition for redress of grievances is to allow induviduals to draft a proposed law and give it to their representative in the state legislature, who must file it for them as a proper bill in the state House, no matter what the legislator thinks about the bill.
The legislature is not obliged to actually do anything further, not even hold hearings, vote to table the bill, or anything else.

The b banning bill is one such bill.

That leaves no role for Massachusetts stupidity and is therefore an invalid and unintelligible response. Please reformulate it into trollese.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on October 27, 2019, 11:59:10 AM
I find most of your posts particularly unclear.

The word you are seeking my friend is "pudding". His posts are pudding.

Todd

Quote from: drogulus on October 27, 2019, 12:23:11 PM
     That leaves no role for Massachusetts stupidity

Apparently Massachusetts Democrats have difficulty reading: I never claimed all people of the Commonwealth are stupid.  Just Dems.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

drogulus

Quote from: Ken B on October 27, 2019, 12:59:36 PM
The word you are seeking my friend is "pudding". His posts are pudding.

Butterscotch pudding most closely realizes the Platonic Form of it.

Reformulations into trollese are best left to experts.

Quote from: Todd on October 27, 2019, 01:45:53 PM

Apparently Massachusetts Democrats have difficulty reading: I never claimed all people of the Commonwealth are stupid.  Just Dems.

It's more subtle than it looks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

drogulus

Quote from: Florestan on October 27, 2019, 11:59:10 AM
I find most of your posts particularly unclear.

I noticed that, yet you react with hostility, which is often the correct response. Might it be a form of subliminal understanding?

There is a phenomenon known as blindsight, where people respond to visual stimulation without consciously seeing the stimulus. You can hold up fingers in front of the subject who will say he can't see them, then you can ask how many fingers there are and the subject will "guess" the correct number repeatedly.

I wonder how that works.

Ken B

Quote from: drogulus on October 27, 2019, 07:53:11 PM
     I noticed that, yet you react with hostility, which is often the correct response. Might it be a form of subliminal understanding?

There is a phenomenon known as blindsight, where people respond to visual stimulation without consciously seeing the stimulus. You can hold up fingers in front of the subject who will say he can't see them, then you can ask how many fingers there are and the subject will "guess" the correct number repeatedly.

I wonder how that works.

It works better when you hold up one finger.

drogulus

Quote from: Ken B on October 27, 2019, 08:15:03 PM
It works better when you hold up one finger.

See, you understand me perfectly. I don't think it's on my end at all.

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Ken B on October 21, 2019, 06:41:05 PM
It's official: you can dress up in costume to mock black people and be elected Prime minister of Canada. You can also lean on the solicitor general to get special treatment for big party donors.

Well, some men dress up as women for misogynistic reasons which can also be cultural appropriation and insulting.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Florestan

Quote from: drogulus on October 27, 2019, 07:53:11 PM
     I noticed that, yet you react with hostility, which is often the correct response.

Here are the latest posts of yours that I find completelty unintelligible.

Quote from: drogulus on October 26, 2019, 06:02:09 AM
     To be progressive is to shoulder more responsibility for values construction, it's not an escape clause when you extinguish values absolutism.

You are the caretaker. It isn't even possible for you to not be the caretaker.

Quote from: drogulus on October 26, 2019, 06:18:02 AM
     Values universalism allows people to transcend absolutist claims. That's why we have such ideas.

What things are is what they do.

But nevermind. You are right, I should perhaps stop tryng to figure it out and not respond to them anymore. Yep, that's definitely the best option (if only I could stick to it...  :) ).
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

greg

Quote from: Florestan on October 28, 2019, 01:17:41 AM
Here are the latest posts of yours that I find completelty unintelligible.

But nevermind. You are right, I should perhaps stop tryng to figure it out and not respond to them anymore. Yep, that's definitely the best option (if only I could stick to it...  :) ).
Good to know I'm not the only one who finds his posts to be like a puzzle.

But it's more often that the difficulty is having to guess what the point is as a response to one's own post. Not that I can't understand, but it just takes way more effort (like actually having to think a minute) than for anyone else.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Ken B

It's like that Churchill quote about Russia (the new version): Russia is a pudding wrapped in a custard inside a junket.

greg

Quote from: Ken B on October 28, 2019, 06:44:51 AM
It's like that Churchill quote about Russia (the new version): Russia is a pudding wrapped in a custard inside a junket.
Hm, I've always thought it was more robotic, never really thought of pudding before.

But not like a robot that is preprogrammed, but like one that comes up with its own ideas while at the same time never saying anything extreme or offensive.

Which IMO is not a problem at all, just a sort of unique style.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

drogulus

Quote from: drogulus on October 26, 2019, 06:02:09 AM
     To be progressive is to shoulder more responsibility for values construction, it's not an escape clause when you extinguish values absolutism.

You are the caretaker. It isn't even possible for you to not be the caretaker.

It means you can't escape responsibility for the choices you make by by putting them on a very high shelf and hiding the ladder you used to reach it.

I probably meant modern more than progressive in a political sense, though that's in there, too.

drogulus

Quote from: drogulus on October 26, 2019, 06:18:02 AM
     Values universalism allows people to transcend absolutist claims. That's why we have such ideas.

What things are is what they do.

Ideas have use value. The use value is the sum of what the idea means. That's straight out of Hume and Peirce.

You have to have an idea to adjudicate irreconcilable claims by absolutists, like a universal declaration of human rights, obviously hateful to true believers, yet necessary to stop them from killing each other and many others. What are we of stout hearts supposed to do, wait for the idea to show up? Are we not men, or possibly women? Don't we teach children right and wrong no matter what stupid metaphysics we inherit?

LKB

Quote from: drogulus on October 23, 2019, 06:49:23 AM
    A new movie about Midway is coming out. The clip I saw had awful looking CGI and now I see it's directed by Roland Emmerich.

https://www.amazon.com/Shattered-Sword-Untold-Battle-Midway/dp/1574889249/ref=asc_df_1574889249/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312090128763&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10543714179573811452&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031914&hvtargid=pla-451142347916&psc=1

Recommended for those interested in the Battle of Midway.

As far as the film is concerned, as long as Michael Bay is not involved, I'm willing to reserve judgement.

I do wish someone would create a film or miniseries that could do justice to the Guadalcanal campaign, which has seen decades of cinematic neglect.

Condition One,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

drogulus

Quote from: LKB on October 29, 2019, 12:22:17 PM

I do wish someone would create a film or miniseries that could do justice to the Guadalcanal campaign, which has seen decades of cinematic neglect.

Condition One,

LKB

Did you see The Pacific, the Spielberg/Hanks miniseries about Guadalcanal and then the campaigns all the way to Iwo Jima?

SimonNZ

Seconding the recommendation of The Pacific.

Also Terrence Malick's film The Thin Red Line is about the fight for Guadalcanal.

LKB

I remember hearing about The Pacific when it was first presented. At that time my interest in Guadalcanal still lay in the future, to be ignited by James Hornfischer's excellent Neptune's Inferno. So l haven't seen any of it, which has apparently resulted in my not knowing what l didn't know.  :D

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Pacified,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

At times, I post a reply to in the wrong thread.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot