The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Thank you for the explanation of finances in Canada.   :)

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

drogulus

My kidney stone is going through a quiescent phase. I thought you all deserved to know.

In other news, I'm having doubts about getting a new TV. The incumbent is very good and I have no issues with it except for blooming, particularly off axis.

Also, there is a thing about some OLEDs that have a brightness limiter that gets aggressive in a way you can't adjust, probably more of a problem with HDR content than regular stuff. In order to display HDR brightness peaks effectively the TV lowers the brightness of dark scenes more than is desirable according to videosnob scripture. Perhaps I should wait for this to sort itself out before I plunge in.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

MusicTurner

Now that society is opening up here, hopefully without a resulting, major set-back, mobility is better, museums are also slowly coming back into business ...

On Sunday I did a long excursion together with a family member, to sights and landscapes on the Lolland island, about 150 km south from Copenhagen. It's connected by bridges. We also visited the old remnants of a medieval coastal castle, Ravnsborg, and the eccentric artist Richard Winther's home-museum, plus the modern, ongoing sculpture project called Dodekalitten ...

Oh, the feeling of beautiful, unconstrained and natural spaces, Springtime, and fresh air ...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 24, 2020, 05:08:08 PM
The moment a magnitude 5.8 earthquake shakes in Jacinda Ardern live TV interview

way cooler than I would have been
Considering everything that is going on in the world today, I'd give her props!

Hope that all is o.k. with you and others in your country?

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 25, 2020, 02:15:30 PM
Considering everything that is going on in the world today, I'd give her props!

Hope that all is o.k. with you and others in your country?

Best wishes,

PD

So far so good, thanks. Of course anything can still happen in the future so there's a cautious optimism virus-wise but nobody's counting their chickens just yet. The economic consequences remain to be seen, but on a personal note I've learned that I've survived the wave of redundancies at my work.

MusicTurner

Here we actually have laws forbidding parents giving names to their children, that may be considered disrespectful or damaging. This is based on some unfortunate, creative examples (Bandito, Ikea, Petit, Circle, Bacchus, and even some explicitly vulgar ones ...). I'm not sure what to make of that one however.

SimonNZ

We technically have that here also. Nevertheless some idiocy sneaks through. A primary school teacher was telling me she had a pupil named "A-A", to be pronounced as "Adasha".

and then there's this locally infamous case:

Parents lose custody of girl for naming her Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii

"A nine-year-old girl whose parents named her Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii was put into court guardianship in New Zealand so that her name could be changed.

A family court judge, Rob Murfitt, gave the order after hearing that the child was embarrassed about her name and had refused to reveal it to friends. "She told people her name was K because she feared being mocked and teased," the child's lawyer, Colleen MacLeod, told the court.

The judge criticised parents who give their offspring bizarre names, saying it exposed children to ridicule among their peers.

"The court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgment that this child's parents have shown in choosing this name. It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily," he said.

He said the child had a better insight about the situation than her parents, who had apparently not given any thought to the implications of their actions. The judge criticised the growing trend of parents choosing out-of-the-ordinary names for their children.

In his written ruling, he said names such as Stallion, Yeah Detroit, Fish and Chips, Twisty Poi, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit were prohibited by registration officials. Others that were permitted included twins called Benson and Hedges, other children called Midnight Chardonnay, Number 16 Bus Shelter and, the judge added, "tragically, Violence". Another mother tried to use text language for her child's name, he said."[...]

Todd

European spy pact to rival the Five Eyes comes to light

Evidence, not that any additional evidence were needed, of European furtiveness and bad faith.  48 will have to drop the hammer on Europe.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

greg

So I'm brand new to the stock market... discussed with drogulus back a few weeks about stocks, he seems to be discouraging it...

anyways, I've already made over $400 just in the last few weeks. Maybe not a big deal per se, but for me it's quite nice.

can some permanent crash happen later, where i lose my gains? Sure, but seems like things can only get better... see, this is why people misperceive me and many others as being "pessimist" when we are just realist (meaning on occasion we can be optimists). That accusation is usually made when we call out the fake bs optimism ("positive thinking") that gets pushed throughout society.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Todd

Visit financial sites and read periodicals and books that address equity trading if that is what interests you.  GMG is literally the last site I would rely on for investment advice, and that includes reddit and the comments section of The Graun.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Herman

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 25, 2020, 12:04:44 PM
On Sunday I did a long excursion together with a family member, to sights and landscapes on the Lolland island, about 150 km south from Copenhagen.

Oh, the feeling of beautiful, unconstrained and natural spaces, Springtime, and fresh air ...

Love the pictures!

MusicTurner

Quote from: Herman on June 04, 2020, 09:06:07 AM
Love the pictures!

Thank you, it's a rather overlooked part of my country. We've had sunnier weather too since then.
The name of that island, 'Lolland', is ancient, though it can be slightly amusing nowadays ...

Btw, I just returned yesterday from camping 4 nights on the Stevns peninsula, famous for its coastal cliffs, a church situated literally on the edge of them, etc. ... it's a UNESCO site.

greg

Quote from: Todd on June 04, 2020, 08:35:05 AM
Visit financial sites and read periodicals and books that address equity trading if that is what interests you.  GMG is literally the last site I would rely on for investment advice, and that includes reddit and the comments section of The Graun.
Sure, Todd, thanks for the advice.  :)

drogulus

Quote from: greg on June 04, 2020, 08:21:36 AM
So I'm brand new to the stock market... discussed with drogulus back a few weeks about stocks, he seems to be discouraging it...

anyways, I've already made over $400 just in the last few weeks. Maybe not a big deal per se, but for me it's quite nice.

can some permanent crash happen later, where i lose my gains? Sure, but seems like things can only get better... see, this is why people misperceive me and many others as being "pessimist" when we are just realist (meaning on occasion we can be optimists). That accusation is usually made when we call out the fake bs optimism ("positive thinking") that gets pushed throughout society.

I may revise and extend my remarks. The airline gambit is too risky for a novice. Some of your picks are good if you can handle the likely ups and downs of the next couple of years.

Just use helium in your zeppelin instead of hydrogen and you'll be fine.

Seeking Alpha has some interesting contributors who are not cranks about gold. I inhabit the Macro forum for the most part. You might like Investment Strategy, Stock Ideas, Dividends and ETFs.

I see you have a disposition to be a trader. For reasons only known to some really nasty gods, people think they are traders before they learn to be investors. I would forbid that, not in law but in something. 

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Quote from: drogulus on June 06, 2020, 10:14:44 AM
Some of your picks are good if you can handle the likely ups and downs of the next couple of years.
That's the plan, not going to sell them for a while.

Quote from: drogulus on June 06, 2020, 10:14:44 AM
    Seeking Alpha has some interesting contributors who are not cranks about gold. I inhabit the Macro forum for the most part. You might like Investment Strategy, Stock Ideas, Dividends and ETFs.
Cool, thanks...
not going to obsess over investments, but probably some more things I could get into as well, especially more longer-term (even retirement-oriented) stuff.

drogulus

Quote from: greg on June 06, 2020, 11:43:24 AM
That's the plan, not going to sell them for a while.

Cool, thanks...
not going to obsess over investments, but probably some more things I could get into as well, especially more longer-term (even retirement-oriented) stuff.

OK good, I just fixed your Zep. I'd look at Vanguard ETFs for the long term. They pulverize financial advisors like they were kidney stones, which they kind of are. One of mine is VGT (Vanguard Information Technology Index Fund ETF), which since Nov. 2017 is up 63%. Don't forget utilities for the long haul, either. I bought WEC (Wisconsin Elec.) in 2013 and it's up 131%. ATO (peace and blessing etc) is up 263% in 9 years.

I've had spectacular losers, too. Some will unlose in time, many won't ever.

greg

Quote from: drogulus on June 06, 2020, 12:29:00 PM
     OK good, I just fixed your Zep. I'd look at Vanguard ETFs for the long term. They pulverize financial advisors like they were kidney stones, which they kind of are. One of mine is VGT (Vanguard Information Technology Index Fund ETF), which since Nov. 2017 is up 63%. Don't forget utilities for the long haul, either. I bought WEC (Wisconsin Elec.) in 2013 and it's up 131%. ATO (peace and blessing etc) is up 263% in 9 years.

I've had spectacular losers, too. Some will unlose in time, many won't ever.
Yeah, that's something I thought would be wise to consider for long term since I had discussed that with someone I work with. Fidelity or Vanguard are supposedly the top two for this.

Just kind of a personal decision right now about investing even more money, or to wait a few years... not wanting to live in an apartment forever, while so much money is tied up in investments...

drogulus

Quote from: greg on June 06, 2020, 03:33:55 PM
Yeah, that's something I thought would be wise to consider for long term since I had discussed that with someone I work with. Fidelity or Vanguard are supposedly the top two for this.

Just kind of a personal decision right now about investing even more money, or to wait a few years... not wanting to live in an apartment forever, while so much money is tied up in investments...

Don't stop, go slower if you have to. Always be adding. One person I've known for almost 40 years finally started in 2013. Now she has a nest egg Albert Brooks would be proud of. If I ever let her retire she'll be all right.