The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 16, 2020, 06:06:44 AM
Neat story!  Can't believe that the birds can actually shrink their internal organs too.

Indeed! Curiously, I recently learnt that, too in The Life of Birds.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

T. D.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on October 22, 2020, 05:46:51 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54650901

Rare green puppy 'Pistachio' born in Italy

Wow!  I didn't know that that could occur.  As I suspected (after reading the article), the puppy will outgrow it.  Love the name that he was given.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

'Edible  plastic  bags for deer'.
I wonder if somebody can make these bags with flavors of BBQ, ketchup, sour onion, etc for humans.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/nara-deer-plastic-bags-scli-intl-scn/index.html

drogulus

You know how a video game only simulates what you can see and doesn't waste resources on simulating what's beyond that? PCs and game consoles have a limited CPU and graphics capacity to make the game as realistic as possible.

If the Universe is a simulation there should be a resource budget for that, too. From inside the simulation what sign would there be of a resource limit?

From SciAm:

It is not often that a comedian gives an astrophysicist goose bumps when discussing the laws of physics. But comic Chuck Nice managed to do just that in a recent episode of the podcast StarTalk. The show's host Neil deGrasse Tyson had just explained the simulation argument—the idea that we could be virtual beings living in a computer simulation. If so, the simulation would most likely create perceptions of reality on demand rather than simulate all of reality all the time—much like a video game optimized to render only the parts of a scene visible to a player. "Maybe that's why we can't travel faster than the speed of light, because if we could, we'd be able to get to another galaxy," said Nice, the show's co-host, prompting Tyson to gleefully interrupt. "Before they can program it," the astrophysicist said, delighting at the thought. "So the programmer put in that limit."

That's good, but another thing occurred to me about "realistic as possible". Realistic compared to what?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Herman

For the time being I deem this typical Soviet style bullshit.

greg

How about that bitcoin?

After my $3k investment for my first 4 stocks ever in May (Alibaba, United airlines, Delta, and Bitcoin), all of them are giving me some returns, adding up to $800 returns total.

My brother says I should consider selling bitcoin, but thinking to hold it more long-term, even despite the surge yesterday.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

drogulus

Quote from: greg on November 06, 2020, 08:47:21 AM
How about that bitcoin?

After my $3k investment for my first 4 stocks ever in May (Alibaba, United airlines, Delta, and Bitcoin), all of them are giving me some returns, adding up to $800 returns total.

My brother says I should consider selling bitcoin, but thinking to hold it more long-term, even despite the surge yesterday.

I'll try not to crash your Zeppelin. Best of luck with the airline play, I can see how it might pan out if you stick with it into the post-vaccine environment. The pent up demand for air travel will be considerable.

I can't accept the idea of Bitcoin as buy and hold, only as a pumpty dumpty move. Any time you sell with a gain is good no matter where is goes next. When it goes up you'll be tempted to ride it "to the top". It's a "greater fool" trade, and as "they" say if you don't know who the greater fool is, it's you.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Quote from: drogulus on November 06, 2020, 11:10:26 AM
   The pent up demand for air travel will be considerable.
Yeah, because that includes me. Two years straight now of being unable to travel due to random stuff happening, was wanting to travel abroad once each year for the next 40 years...

Quote from: drogulus on November 06, 2020, 11:10:26 AM
     I can't accept the idea of Bitcoin as buy and hold, only as a pumpty dumpty move. Any time you sell with a gain is good no matter where is goes next. When it goes up you'll be tempted to ride it "to the top". It's a "greater fool" trade, and as "they" say if you don't know who the greater fool is, it's you.
Bitcoin is the most risky/unpredictable of my four stocks, but it's only a $500 investment so it feels like I have far more to gain than to lose if holding it. And it's the standard for a market that will always exist...

Thinking of investing in cannabis due to the legalization in some states, but not sure if that's a good idea since unless you really really know a lot about that market it can be hard to decide which company... perhaps small investments in every company would do the trick... just an idea, there's probably already a name for that type of strategy, if anyone knows what that is called let me know.

drogulus

Quote from: greg on November 06, 2020, 12:08:22 PM
Yeah, because that includes me. Two years straight now of being unable to travel due to random stuff happening, was wanting to travel abroad once each year for the next 40 years...

Bitcoin is the most risky/unpredictable of my four stocks, but it's only a $500 investment so it feels like I have far more to gain than to lose if holding it. And it's the standard for a market that will always exist...

Thinking of investing in cannabis due to the legalization in some states, but not sure if that's a good idea since unless you really really know a lot about that market it can be hard to decide which company... perhaps small investments in every company would do the trick... just an idea, there's probably already a name for that type of strategy, if anyone knows what that is called let me know.

I think you put too much emphasis on speculative options. Given where you are with your choices, it would be good to buy something like a utility, maybe NextEra (NEE). I only mention that one because it's a Florida ute and maybe a little because they are in wind and solar. Also, I bought it for someone in 2018 and it's very OK.

staxomega

Quote from: greg on November 06, 2020, 08:47:21 AM
How about that bitcoin?

If you're on the fence one thing you can do is sell half to take some profit and hold the rest. I'm not one for crypto though. One thing that has lowered my heart rate is another red congress, they won't roll back the corporate tax cuts so that is one less reason for the US stock market to crash.

drogulus

A 'growth bomb' is brewing in the US with consumers sitting on $2.5 trillion in savings — and it's poised to give the economy a huge boost, one Wall Street chief strategist says

Yup.....this happened in the '20s after the '21 depression, and again in the '30s after the GD, and once again in the '50s after the WWII savings bomb. The "debt bomb" becomes the growth bomb.

drogulus

Drogulus service announcement:

Don't call the number on the Medicare TV ads. Instead go to the government Medicare site.

To verify that this is the best route I went to the site, put in my zip, chose Medicare Advantage instead of plain vanilla Medicare and searched plans. Mine popped up at the top.

Next, I put in a zip for Genesee, NY to see how things are there and an Aetna plan with a low premium had the highest rating.

So, all you need to do is put in your zip and answer a couple of questions. You don't have to give any personal information. Nobody will try to sell you anything.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Why can some players, dancers, etc. with dementia can recall their performances?
Are the memories of performance deep memories like memories of words such as hello, thank you?

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/instruments/piano/92-year-old-elaine-lebar-dementia-remembers-beethoven/

MusicTurner

Current real life wisdom:

When you're holding a press conference presenting evidence of a allegedly important, yet dubious nature, avoid bringing yourself in a situation, where your black hair dye simultaneously runs down, forming long lines on both sides of your face, due to you sweating while on camera.

North Star

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 19, 2020, 09:58:47 AM
Current real life wisdom:

When you're holding a press conference presenting evidence of a allegedly important, yet dubious nature, avoid bringing yourself in a situation, where your black hair dye simultaneously runs down, forming long lines on both sides of your face, due to you sweating while on camera.

Sounds better than what we had in March. Health institute head stirs concern with sniffly press conference appearance
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

JBS

My next door neighbor has apparently acquired a rooster.

But it seems to keep reasonable office hours.  I don't hear it crowing until about 8:30 or 9 AM.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

greg

Quote from: JBS on November 19, 2020, 12:33:50 PM

But it seems to keep reasonable office hours.  I don't hear it crowing until about 8:30 or 9 AM.
You are either employed or an early riser.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on November 19, 2020, 12:33:50 PM

Interesting!  Any particularly interesting breed?  Believe it or not, at least twice, I have bought wall calendars that were chicken-themed (photos of various breeds).  The photos were amazing!  Beautiful birds...and yes, er, they were in my kitchen!  Trust that your neighbor also has hens?  Hopefully they also share some fresh eggs with you?   :)

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter