The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Concerning the suffering, that wasn't the conclusion here.

The Danish halal slaughter method with anesthetizing has of course only been implemented because of the Muslim market, including the export, which is big.

Though the number of Jews in DK isn't that huge, traditionally, they tend to be a part of the upper strata in the country's capital, and in society generally.

Btw I see that animal welfare is a subject of concern in Israel, the country also being apparently the first to initiate strong initiatives to a future artificial meat production (2015, cf. Wiki on animal welfare in Israel).

JBS

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 18, 2020, 11:29:59 AM
Concerning the suffering, that wasn't the conclusion here.

The Danish halal slaughter method with anesthetizing has of course only been implemented because of the Muslim market, including the export, which is big.

Though the number of Jews in DK isn't that huge, traditionally, they tend to be a part of the upper strata in the country's capital, and in society generally.

Btw I see that animal welfare is a subject of concern in Israel, the country also being apparently the first to initiate strong initiatives to a future artificial meat production (2015, cf. Wiki on animal welfare in Israel).

Kindness to animals has always been viewed by Jews as a Torah value. F.i. if you have animals you must make sure they are fed before you yourself eat. This includes everyone, including farmers with large agricultural holdings.

Vegetarianism is a small but consistent trend among Orthodox Jews.  The most famous proponent was R. Avraham Kook, the first Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi under the Mandate and a forerunner of religious Zionism (which took on a much more militant attitude after 1967, well after his death).

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

MusicTurner

Passages of the ethical council info paper in my country mention research being done into anesthetizing methods, that could possibly be acceptable for Kosher, like the Muslims accepted some methods back in the 80s here, or immediate anesthetizing parallel to the throat cutting taking place, but apparently no such options exist so far.

JBS

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 18, 2020, 01:06:37 PM
Passages of the ethical council info paper in my country mention research being done into anesthetizing methods, that could possibly be acceptable for Kosher, like the Muslims accepted some methods back in the 80s here, or immediate anesthetizing parallel to the throat cutting taking place, but apparently no such options exist so far.

Jewish law lists a series of wounds which were believed to be signs of an illness or injury that would kill the animal within 12 months. (It doesn't match up completely with modern science). Any animal with such a wound is deemed unfit for eating (this is the precise meaning of the word treyf) and unfortunately every method of anesthesizing seems to result in one of those wounds. Hence the problem.
I'm not sure about stunning at the moment of slaughter. At the very least it would seem to not be quick enough to lessen the pain.

Iota

Sounds like there are a few good'uns in the Somerset Police Department.  :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55522825

André

The story is a bit more complete - and even more uplifting - in other media. The Officer took time to listen.

https://people.com/human-interest/massachusetts-police-officer-buys-holiday-groceries-for-shoplifting-suspects/

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

greg

Anyone investing in bitcoin?
I'm up $1300 now but am thinking about/going to research whether to dump a bunch of money into it (like 10k).
My thinking being, if I do and it immediately drops down to where I lose that $1300 then maybe I'll sell and break even, worst case scenario.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

greg

I'm dying... Robinhood taking so long to transfer 10k from my bank so I can put into bitcoin...

every day it's making me over 100 dollars, but just think what it would do if I had ten times that amount invested in it! But no, just sitting there, missing out on the crazy gains that are happening.

There's some wild forecasts out there about how high it may get in the near future.  But who knows if it will crash hard like it does normally.

Could save so much time from my life so I could spend it on doing something actually meaningful, like make another album in the future rather than working. Also considering Ethereum. There seems to be a strong long-term optimism in these two nowadays.

greg

Meanwhile:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/07/investing/alibaba-tencent-stock-us-bans-intl-hnk/index.html

I have stock in Alibaba, but they're talking about delisting it on Monday!  ???

Idk if I should sell it or not, wasn't making me much anyways, but does that mean my whole investment would be gone or would it just be frozen?

The real sad news is Jack Ma... if the CCP did anything to him, I'd wanna see Winnie the Pooh become Winnie the Piñata.  >:D

JBS

greg

T. D.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-08/european-soccer-super-league-moves-closer-to-deciding-lineup

Top European soccer teams are moving closer to deciding the lineup for a proposed "super league" that could end the UEFA Champions League's run as the premier event in the sport, people with knowledge of the matter said.

Organizers are working to finalize a list of at least a dozen permanent members after offering spots to clubs including Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona, the people said. They hope to publicly announce their plans in the next few months, one of the people said, asking not to be identified because the information is private.

Bayern Munich, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester United and Real Madrid are also being discussed as potential permanent members, the people said. JPMorgan Chase & Co. is in talks to provide financing for the project based on the expectation of future television contracts, according to the people.

T. D.

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/neil-young-music-catalog-hipgnosis-investment-1110037/

More megabucks pop music rights sales: Neil Young, Stev(i)e Nicks and others.

Pohjolas Daughter

Had debated where to post this, but.....:  Trump National stripped of 2022 US PGA Championship

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/55615022

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

It will cost the American tax payers over a half a million dollars for the White House to be deep-cleaned before the Bidens move in due to Covid.  No idea what it typically cost pre-Covid days, but still....  :(

Apparently, Melania has been steadily organizing what will go to their Florida residence and what will go into storage and has already moved most of their belongings out of there.

Above news heard on CNN this morning.
Pohjolas Daughter

greg

It's probably a good idea to invest in crypto right now, pretty much everyone is saying that the next year it's going to increase in value dramatically.

For several reasons, but one that is captivating is the idea that the US Dollar's value will be falling, especially if they went through with the next proposed $2000 stimulus check. So financial institutions are buying it up as a backup, and the attention towards gold is starting to strongly shift towards bitcoin.

Dumped 5k into Etherium and 6k into Bitcoin (originally just bought $500 months ago when it was way lower)...
kind of more than my comfort level, but you have to hang on to the roller coaster ride, regardless, and not get scared.
The final 5k that I put towards Bitcoin yesterday was just at the right time when the dip had ended, so there is an element of trying to time things just right.

Was looking at Etherium and my gains were fluctuating between being up $300 around midnight to droppping to -$100 to going back up to +$116 just now.

MusicTurner

Quote from: greg on January 12, 2021, 07:33:33 AM
It's probably a good idea to invest in crypto right now, pretty much everyone is saying that the next year it's going to increase in value dramatically.

For several reasons, but one that is captivating is the idea that the US Dollar's value will be falling, especially if they went through with the next proposed $2000 stimulus check. So financial institutions are buying it up as a backup, and the attention towards gold is starting to strongly shift towards bitcoin.

Dumped 5k into Etherium and 6k into Bitcoin (originally just bought $500 months ago when it was way lower)...
kind of more than my comfort level, but you have to hang on to the roller coaster ride, regardless, and not get scared.
The final 5k that I put towards Bitcoin yesterday was just at the right time when the dip had ended, so there is an element of trying to time things just right.

Was looking at Etherium and my gains were fluctuating between being up $300 around midnight to droppping to -$100 to going back up to +$116 just now.

You seem outside those considerations, but some are boycotting digital currency for ethical reasons, besides the possible personal risks of fraud.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 12, 2021, 08:00:25 AM
You seem outside those considerations, but some are boycotting digital currency for ethical reasons, besides the possible personal risks of fraud.
I'm trying to remember the name of a woman who created a currency, convinced people to invest, and then ran away with the money and not caught so far last I heard.

Ah!  Here we go.  It was called OneCoin.  It was a Ponzi scheme.  https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-50435014

Have they caught her yet?

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

greg

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 12, 2021, 08:00:25 AM
Interesting.

Does this possibility extend to all digital currency, including the top 2 (Bitcoin and Etherium)?