The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

On BBC Breakfast News this morning there was an item which showed that so many American children are watching the TV programme 'Peppa Pig' (especially during the pandemic) that their parents have noticed them developing British accents; so, for example they are now pronouncing words like 'tomato' as 'tomarto' rather than 'tomayto' and 'Zebra' with the 'eb' as in 'February' rather than as 'zeebra'. I found this very amusing.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jul/19/peppa-pig-american-kids-british-accents
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 19, 2021, 10:28:31 PM
On BBC Breakfast News this morning there was an item which showed that so many American children are watching the TV programme 'Peppa Pig' (especially during the pandemic) that their parents have noticed them developing British accents; so, for example they are now pronouncing words like 'tomato' as 'tomarto' rather than 'tomayto' and 'Zebra' with the 'eb' as in 'February' rather than as 'zeebra'. I found this very amusing.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jul/19/peppa-pig-american-kids-british-accents
:laugh:  Pretty funny!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

I decrashed (a typical day after thing).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

As a father with little ones in the US, I can attest to this, although perhaps not due to lockdown - our schools went on uninterrupted this past school year.

Peppa Pig comes on at 0600, and it is a wonderfully gentle-humored program. That said, the show occasionally uses vocabulary my children are unfamiliar with, so they end up with odd pronunciations or variants on word usages. As a family, we already put different inflections on 'aluminium', 'advertisements', and 'garage' for fun, so my children will probably grow up speaking strangely regardless. The bakery already looks at them cockeyed when they ask for a croissant in a wonderful French pronunciation. ;D

I of course listen to Peppa Pig for the thunderous tones of Brian Blessed!

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Papy Oli

I say, how spiffing !   ;D
Olivier

vandermolen

Yes, apparently a number of American parents have commented on how their young children have had their American accent replaced by a posh British accent, and now regularly use expressions like 'Oh, dear!'
Oh, dear!  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

"The British are coming!  The British are coming!"   ???

"One, if by land...
Two, if by t.v."   ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 21, 2021, 02:54:12 AM
"The British are coming!  The British are coming!"   ???

"One, if by land...
Two, if by t.v."   ;)

PD

Heh. Nicely done.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

T. D.

This is different. Ultra-luxury ultramarathon race.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-57975285

'Luxury' race will be among most expensive on earth

Ultramarathon competitors are used to "roughing it" in races, sometimes sleeping in bivvy bags at the side of muddy trails or even running through several nights.
They set themselves incredible long-distance challenges, often running through remote and difficult terrain.
But now a new ultramarathon race is being launched which gives them luxury few could afford - including butlers, hydrotherapy pools, speed boats and Michelin-star chefs.
Highland Kings Ultra, a four-day camping race covering 120 miles on the west coast of Scotland, costs £15,499 per person to enter.
In contrast, the 95-mile West Highland Way Race costs just £120.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on July 28, 2021, 02:16:50 PM
This is different. Ultra-luxury ultramarathon race.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-57975285

'Luxury' race will be among most expensive on earth

Ultramarathon competitors are used to "roughing it" in races, sometimes sleeping in bivvy bags at the side of muddy trails or even running through several nights.
They set themselves incredible long-distance challenges, often running through remote and difficult terrain.
But now a new ultramarathon race is being launched which gives them luxury few could afford - including butlers, hydrotherapy pools, speed boats and Michelin-star chefs.
Highland Kings Ultra, a four-day camping race covering 120 miles on the west coast of Scotland, costs £15,499 per person to enter.
In contrast, the 95-mile West Highland Way Race costs just £120.

T.D.,

Thinking about returning to your marathon days?  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

T. D.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 29, 2021, 05:20:32 AM
T.D.,

Thinking about returning to your marathon days?  ;)

PD

Unfortunately, I've developed arthritis (ankles) as a result of a multitude of old athletic injuries. Running is completely out, walking is a bit of a challenge (have to avoid uneven surfaces), and I'm worried about possibly needing a fusion of the right ankle. It's not a pretty situation.  :( End of whine.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on July 29, 2021, 11:29:59 AM
Unfortunately, I've developed arthritis (ankles) as a result of a multitude of old athletic injuries. Running is completely out, walking is a bit of a challenge (have to avoid uneven surfaces), and I'm worried about possibly needing a fusion of the right ankle. It's not a pretty situation.  :( End of whine.
I'm so very sorry to hear that my friend.    *Do things like glucosamine & chondroitin help at all or acupuncture or shiatsu or possibly some strength/weight training?  I know that (from my limited knowledge of anyway) that sports medicine/therapy/surgeries, etc. have changed/advanced a lot over the years.  I do realize though that it's tougher healing when one is older.  Wishing you the best of luck checking out your options and research.

*Not trying to say that you haven't already checked out various things, but just wanting to offer some possible suggestions if you haven't already looked into them.  And I'm sure that there are more too.

All the best wishes to you,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

T. D.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 29, 2021, 01:11:21 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear that my friend.    *Do things like glucosamine & chondroitin help at all or acupuncture or shiatsu or possibly some strength/weight training?  I know that (from my limited knowledge of anyway) that sports medicine/therapy/surgeries, etc. have changed/advanced a lot over the years.  I do realize though that it's tougher healing when one is older.  Wishing you the best of luck checking out your options and research.

*Not trying to say that you haven't already checked out various things, but just wanting to offer some possible suggestions if you haven't already looked into them.  And I'm sure that there are more too.

PD

I've practiced yoga for quite a few years, which has really helped with balance and mobility.

The US medical system stinks, and orthopedics is a particularly dodgy branch (thrives on recommending costly elective surgeries for boomers), so it's difficult to get trustworthy advice. I had terrible experience with an orthopedist firm this past winter/spring after a bad injury at the end of the year. Not eager to go back down that road. Considering some kind of "holistic" physical therapy, but not sure of reliability or coverage under insurance.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 29, 2021, 01:11:21 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear that my friend.
[snip]

PD
+ 1
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on July 29, 2021, 01:18:16 PM
I've practiced yoga for quite a few years, which has really helped with balance and mobility.

The US medical system really stinks, and orthopedics is a particularly dodgy branch (thrives on recommending elective surgeries for boomers), so it's difficult to get trustworthy advice. I had terrible experience with an orthopedist firm this past winter/spring after a bad injury at the end of the year. Not eager to go back down that road. Considering some kind of "holistic" physical therapy, but not sure of reliability or coverage under insurance.
Yes, I knew that you were a yoga practitioner, so imagine that that would have/have helped with balance and mobility.  I'm wondering how one might check into sports medicine/facilities/options/doctors and surgeons who are within a decent area of where you live?  Trying to think outside of the box....wondering how you could get the best care.  Perhaps look into more and see what your options might be and then figuring out whether or not your insurance might cover it, or if not, what it might cost you/can you afford it/and how much does it mean to you to try and fix things (and in terms of budget and what you might be able to do there).  Maybe, if you find some possibly encouraging news/results, you could make an initial appointment which could help you to decide where to go from there...even if the doctor was not part of your health plan? 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Novak Djokovic beaten by Sasha Zverev at the Tokyo Olympics.

Novak, who was hoping to become the first player since Steffi Graff to have won a Golden Slam (something no other tennis player has done--male or female), was beaten in the men's singles semi-finals today.  To be fair, Sasha had beaten Novak before, but Novak was also playing mixed doubles for Serbia (despite apparently having been advised against it) [He also lost here the same day.].  It's also been quite hot and sticky on court too.  In any event, Sasha was certainly the better player today and came back from a 1-6 loss in the first set to win the next two (ran away in the last set too), so congrats to him.  https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/khachanov-advances-gold-medal-match-olympic-tennis-79160963

Note:  Novak can still go on and win a *Calendar Slam this year--if he also wins the US Open--which is quite an impressive feat all in of itself.

*Something no male tennis player has done since Rod Laver in 1969.

And, he's also not out of the running for a bronze medal at the Olympics.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

And, I do think that this is important, but don't know where else to post it:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pink-offers-cover-norwegian-women-s-beach-handball-team-fine-n1275013

Women have been fighting to be clothed in uniforms that they feel are comfortable, appropriate for the sport that they are playing, and are NOT overly sexualized.

You go Norway, Pink and Germany (for starters...there are more athletes, fighters and teams there from what I've seen going back in time....!).  We really should be past this by now.   >:(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter