The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. D.

I don't watch TV, and wouldn't watch the Oscars even if I did...
But this has been all over the news and is awesome.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/will-smith-smacks-chris-rock-oscars-1235216387/

The live Aussie broadcast footage is key.

SimonNZ

I don't give a damn about the Oscar's or about celebrities generally, so after I saw that last night I was trying to work out why it bothered me so much.

And I think it is because how depressingly "Trump-era" it seems. Attacking not your target but your targets wife with no more wit or skill than calling her ugly. Giving unchecked action to immediate thoughts of violence. And not caring how publicly you're doing it or how alarmingly precident breaking it is. We're still living in the Trump Era.

LKB

Putin best not make any cracks about Biden's wife, Joe would probably go full Will Smith on his ass...
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Brahmsian

I missed the whole Will Smith slap as I was doing some laundry at that particular moment.  :D

I was actually more upset or disappointed with the handling of this year's 'In Memorium' segment. Poorly and distastefully done with the song and dance routine.

DavidW

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 28, 2022, 02:33:28 PM
I don't give a damn about the Oscar's or about celebrities generally, so after I saw that last night I was trying to work out why it bothered me so much.

And I think it is because how depressingly "Trump-era" it seems. Attacking not your target but your targets wife with no more wit or skill than calling her ugly. Giving unchecked action to immediate thoughts of violence. And not caring how publicly you're doing it or how alarmingly precident breaking it is. We're still living in the Trump Era.

This.  But I think also the quarantine period added to people forgetting how to behave in public.

Florestan

Quote from: LKB on March 29, 2022, 01:31:38 AM
Putin best not make any cracks about Biden's wife, Joe would probably go full Will Smith on his ass...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously now, I'm with Will Smith all the way. He behaved as a flesh-and-blood husband who felt (rightly so) that his wife was insulted. He --- perhaps, maybe even surely --- inadvertently proved that genuine marriage is a commitment that matters and that the decorum of the Oscar's is not worth sacrificing it. Est modus in rebus.

I say, way to go, Will Smith!

And to all those Oscar attendees and organizers who say "We don't tolerate violence of any kind!", I say: "Is it not you who fed the whole world with movies depicting extreme violence of the kind that make Smith's slap look like a caress? Away, hypocrites!"
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

T. D.

Quote from: Florestan on March 29, 2022, 07:12:32 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously now, I'm with Will Smith all the way. He behaved as a flesh-and-blood husband who felt (rightly so) that his wife was insulted. He --- perhaps, maybe even surely --- inadvertently proved that genuine marriage is a commitment that matters and that the decorum of the Oscar's is not worth sacrificing it. Est modus in rebus.

I say, way to go, Will Smith!

And to all those Oscar attendees and organizers who say "We don't tolerate violence of any kind!", I say: "Is it not you who fed the whole world with movies depicting extreme violence of the kind that make Smith's slap look like a caress? Away, hypocrites!"

Inclined to agree on the first point. And the second point (bold added) is absolutely spot-on, couldn't agree more.

T. D.

Quote from: LKB on March 29, 2022, 01:31:38 AM

I dunno...Putin is said to be proficient at judo. And he's fond of posing for tough-looking photos in athletic uniform (judo, hockey), as well as rather, uh... metrosexual shirtless pics on horseback, etc.  :laugh:

Irons

Violence whatever the provocation is not good. Far better to walk out and throw the whole ceremony into chaos. The presenter was way out of order saying what he said but with social media in full throttle his career will benefit - never heard of him, have now! It is possible this will not turn out well for Will Smith.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

LKB

Smith has now publicly apologized to CR.

While l agree that he could have handled things better, men have been flying off the handle over their wives for a long as there have been wives. He was provoked, and he responded emotionally with the part of his brain we all inherited from the lizard. I might well do the same. Mr.  Rock was not seriously injured, and might reconsider his jokes in the future. Mr. Smith now knows he should stop and take a breath. Both men can learn from the incident.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

greg

Quote from: Florestan on March 29, 2022, 07:12:32 AM
He behaved as a flesh-and-blood husband who felt (rightly so) that his wife was insulted.
An understandable reaction.
Jokes are fine, but good to be aware of the possibility of that reaction when joking around.

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 28, 2022, 02:33:28 PM
We're still living in the Trump Era.
Ah ok, somehow it is connected to Trump. ::)
I bet even incidents like this in the 1500's is somehow connected to Trump also.  :P :D
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on March 29, 2022, 08:14:31 AM
Violence whatever the provocation is not good.

Dunno. Ukrainian's response to Russia's provocation invasion special military operation is violent resistance.

Just saying.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: LKB on March 29, 2022, 08:51:48 AM
While l agree that he could have handled things better, men have been flying off the handle over their wives for a long as there have been wives. He was provoked, and he responded emotionally with the part of his brain we all inherited from the lizard. I might well do the same. Mr.  Rock was not seriously injured, and might reconsider his jokes in the future. Mr. Smith now knows he should stop and take a breath. Both men can learn from the incident.

This, as well.

All in all, this was probably the most exciting Oscar night ever.  :D

MusicTurner

His (lunatic) reaction probably finds more sympathy in the US. After all, Hollywood itself has promoted violent revenge for a 100 years or so. And there was the crying-in-public wave represented by him too. More hitting, kicking, or a knock-out, could be the next thing on stage, there or elsewhere ...

JBS

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 29, 2022, 09:40:56 AM
His (lunatic) reaction probably finds more sympathy in the US. After all, Hollywood itself has promoted violent revenge for a 100 years or so. And there was the crying-in-public wave represented by him too. More hitting, kicking, or a knock-out, could be the next thing on stage, there or elsewhere ...

It probably does. Especially since Rock's "joke" based its "humor" on the result of an auto-immune disorder. He was making fun of a person because of her illness.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 29, 2022, 09:40:56 AM

Given what is currently going on in Ukraine, the Smith/Rock incident was a walk in the park at noon. Nay, the whole Oscar event was a negligible trifle.

MusicTurner

Quote from: JBS on March 29, 2022, 09:49:34 AM
It probably does. Especially since Rock's "joke" based its "humor" on the result of an auto-immune disorder. He was making fun of a person because of her illness.

I don't tend to like the humour represented there either; it doesn't seem witty, or relaxed. But you react in a non-violent way, or you skip it.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Florestan on March 29, 2022, 09:54:02 AM
Given what is currently going on in Ukraine, the Smith/Rock incident was a walk in the park at noon. Nay, the whole Oscar event was a negligible trifle.

Agree, and the media attention towards the incident has also been seen as illustrating how the Oscars have outlived themselves, the actual content being an empty, repetitive ritual.

Florestan

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 29, 2022, 10:01:33 AM
the Oscars have outlived themselves, the actual content being an empty, repetitive ritual.

Could not agree more.