The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 03, 2022, 06:21:12 PM
Jarrow, New Year's Eve 1911.

Indeed, Karl.

But l must thank DavidW. While I'm somewhat  notorious for regularly producing obvious puns, it's a rare pleasure to divest myself of an obvious recursive pun.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on July 03, 2022, 06:29:57 PM
Indeed, Karl.

But l must thank DavidW. While I'm somewhat  notorious for regularly producing obvious puns, it's a rare pleasure to divest myself of an obvious recursive pun.

And you've not yet announced what your chief weapons are!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 03, 2022, 07:22:07 PM
And you've not yet announced what your chief weapons are!

Very well. My chief weapons are:

Crazy Horse's bow, and Sitting Bull's spear.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

DavidW

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

DavidW

Harper Collins union are on strike.  Apparently most of the employees get paid starvation wages while CEOs keep giving themselves bonuses and raises.  Not surprising.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/publisher-news/article/89894-harpercollins-union-workers-hit-the-picket-line.html

drogulus

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 20, 2022, 10:37:02 AM
Appalling. Do I even recognize the country I grew up in?

It could be worse. You could live in China, the country of the future of the past.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

LKB

Quote from: drogulus on July 20, 2022, 01:43:22 PM
     It could be worse. You could live in China, the country of the future of the past.

Or Russia, where thinking out loud or questioning the official line could get you prison time.

Todd

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on July 20, 2022, 09:48:45 PM
Or Russia, where thinking out loud or questioning the official line could get you prison time.

Like this chap
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

I love "It's True! The NYTimes reported it." media distrust.

People can be highly selective in how stupid they allow themselves to be. Sometimes it seems fake.

That's a good thing IMO. They actually can handle bias when they want to, then complain about it when it irks them. It's not such a big problem, then.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Todd

Spread betting: how will the ECB's new bond-buying tool work?

Quote from: Martin ArnoldBy giving itself the power to buy unlimited amounts of the bonds of any country that it judges to be suffering from an increase in its borrowing costs beyond the level justified by economic fundamentals, the ECB has addressed a key vulnerability haunting eurozone policymakers ever since a debt crisis almost ripped the single currency apart a decade ago...

As part of this, it could also consider purchasing private sector securities "if appropriate"...

The ECB claimed any bond purchases made under the scheme would not bloat its close to €9tn balance sheet, but it was vague about how exactly this could be done.

drogulus

Here's something to not know very much about. Behold:

As far as I know (not very much) Mead was a Lake, and still is, barely.

drogulus

China's debt bomb looks ready to explode

The most ominous warning light is clearly China's debt-ridden real estate sector. China Evergrande Group, the country's largest real estate developer, which has borrowed more than $300 billion, has already defaulted on its bonds. More defaults seem likely because Chinese developers are on the hook for $13 billion in dollar-denominated bond payments in the second half of this year.

China's debt-laden local governments are also facing grim prospects. Declining income from land sales because of the crisis in the real estate sector and falling tax receipts are expected to cause a 6 trillion yuan shortfall, roughly $900 billion, in local government revenues this year. Local government financing vehicles that have borrowed heavily from banks or issued bonds will have great difficulties servicing their debt.

Large banks in China are in trouble as well. They have lent tens of billions to poor countries as part of China's ambitious Belt and Road Initiative. A significant portion of their credit portfolio is likely to become nonperforming as their borrowers are unable to service the debt due to the global economic downturn.

The most recent economic implosion and the collapse of the government of Sri Lanka will likely force their Chinese lenders to write off a large portion of the loans. If big Chinese banks themselves face rising nonperforming loans abroad, they will be less able to help bail out insolvent small or medium-sized banks at home.

It might be possible for China to dodge another financial meltdown this time. But if local officials have to hire thugs to attack bank customers trying to get their money back, investors should brace for far worse days ahead for China's banking sector.