The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 10, 2022, 01:31:36 PM
The late monarch pranking an American tourist.
I heard that story recently.   ;D

I couldn't read behind the paywall, but here it is for others (if you can't access it):  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11193985/Her-Majestys-humor-Queen-PRANKED-two-American-tourists.html

I loved her comment:  " ''I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he shows that to his friends in America.'"

Does anyone here know whether or not they finally realized/were told who they had met?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Todd

Dollar Tree offers a more robust selection than Dollar General, especially in the budget snack food category.  Until the last few months, Herr's was only available around here at the dollar stores.  Herr's Buffalo Blue Cheese Curls are the bomb.  Alas, the closest Family Dollar is hours away, so I cannot comparison shop there unless I am on a road trip.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Todd on September 12, 2022, 12:50:36 PM
Dollar Tree offers a more robust selection than Dollar General, especially in the budget snack food category.  Until the last few months, Herr's was only available around here at the dollar stores.  Herr's Buffalo Blue Cheese Curls are the bomb.  Alas, the closest Family Dollar is hours away, so I cannot comparison shop there unless I am on a road trip.

You mean Dollar Tree?

I only know DG. I will check other discount stores!

Todd

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 12, 2022, 01:15:09 PMYou mean Dollar Tree?

No, Family Dollar.  I mentioned Dollar Tree as well.  That's the most common chain where I live.

There's also a fourth, smaller chain in the Midwest.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Todd on September 12, 2022, 01:22:09 PM
No, Family Dollar.  I mentioned Dollar Tree as well.  That's the most common chain where I live.

There's also a fourth, smaller chain in the Midwest.

So for you, in terms of quality, Dollar tree ranks as the best, followed by Family Dollar, which is followed by DG?
I am looking for cheap and good groceries!
I think there are all the three in my town, but I only know DG.

Todd

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 12, 2022, 01:31:14 PM
So for you, in terms of quality, Dollar tree ranks as the best, followed by Family Dollar, which is followed by DG?
I am looking for cheap and good groceries!

The dollar stores are good for knickknacks.

For lowest price groceries - or rather, the groceries I actually buy - I go to Grocery Outlet for closeouts and Winco/Waremart for regular groceries.  Winco is a regional west/southwest chain out of Idaho, and where I live it usually undercuts Walmart on price while having food quality exactly on par with or better than national chains.

drogulus

What if we're fighting inflation all wrong?

Impossible, the entire liberaservative economic empire is devoted to crushing consumer demand with good old fashioned unemployment.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Todd

Todd

MusicTurner

A delirious #45 was very keen on his own idea that Denmark should get Puerto Rico in exchange for the US getting Greenland, and tried to work for that, a new book by Ronald Lauder tells us all.

Todd

Right-wing bloc wins narrow majority in Swedish parliament

I don't follow Swedish politics - why on earth would I? - but it looks like "make Sweden great again" is now a thing.  Sweden has not been a great power for centuries, so I'm not sure what the slogan could mean.  That written, it could be helpful for NATO to have a more militaristic northern power in the mix.  Good news, I guess.

Todd

US News college ranking under scrutiny after Ivy League university plummets

The good news is that Columbia is the only school that cooked the books.  Well, Columbia and Temple.  Otherwise, everything in academia is on the up and up.

Todd

drogulus

I adhere to the "Thanks, Obama" method of inflation analysis, like so:

See what I mean?

Demand remains healthy, supply remains not. An Obama, pick one, must be blamed.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

It gets worse. The damaged tree in my front yard has been cut down. The Watertown Dept. of Public Works is the culprit.

I want a new tree. It's not so good to look out the window and see a stump.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on September 20, 2022, 10:39:20 AM
     It gets worse. The damaged tree in my front yard has been cut down. The Watertown Dept. of Public Works is the culprit.

I want a new tree. It's not so good to look out the window and see a stump.
In your front yard?  Or on the strip of land by the street (if you have one)...states and cities have (probably) different footage in terms of how far from the street they own in terms of property.  I suspect that you will have to pay a landscaper to dig out the stump and then you can plant another tree.

In any event, if the tree was so seriously damaged that they thought that they needed to remove it, you probably escaped even more costs (depending upon your deductible and your rates might have possibly gone up too depending upon whether or not this tree fell on someone/something).  Not an expert here....just thinking.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Fed raises rates by another three-quarters of a percentage point to fight inflation

JPow is no Volcker, but he's sticking to his guns.  He should have pushed for a full point increase, but he can go big at the next FOMC meeting.

Todd

Turkish central bank lowers interest rate to 12%

How about that?  It's rare to experience a real-time comparison of opposite policy approaches to the same macroeconomic challenge.