The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SimonNZ

Quote from: Todd on January 27, 2023, 09:13:44 AMBuzzFeed to use OpenAI technology to create content

The pilot program at MSNBC was evidently a success.

I thought you hated click-bait headlines, and consider yourself far above the rest of us morons who fall for them.

Because the article doesn't say what one might naturally infer from those words.

DavidW

Quote from: geralmar on January 29, 2023, 08:41:55 AMIsn't "inner core" redundant?

No the Earth has an outer core and an inner core.  The outer core generates the Earth's magnetic field through convective flow of liquid iron and nickel.

drogulus

Where are the deflationistas? Inflation sank like a stone and nobody is worried?

How long will it take for the perma-critics to retool for a new environment?

Powell will get credit. The Aztecs credited their human sacrifices for the sun coming up. As much as I admire the Aztec spirit, I won't go along with them on that.

The Sun rises and inflation falls largely on its own. Creating a vast horde of the unemployed is not only unnecessary, it's positively uncouth.

If Powell is not just lucky but actually "in on it" then he knew his sympathetic inflation magic would cause as little harm as it did good. Sadly, this thesis is too wonderful to be plausible.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 26, 2023, 10:47:20 AMA breakfast place called 'Woke' opened in Connecticut. Controversy soon followed.

Controversy = free publicity. Calculated move.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

drogulus

Powell announced the first rate hike of 2023. He didn't say "abracadabra", I deny that completely!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

Never in my life have I enjoyed a "recession" more. Unemployment is the lowest since the numbers were first compiled in Sumer around 6000 BCE. The US added more than 500,000 jobs in January.

The stock market is mired in mediocrity. I think the people who churn markets are the least emotionally stable. The scarifiers scare them real good, so they go to/get out of cash, or out of what they're in into what they're not, generating revenue for the instigators. It's a nice trick. The Sumerians probably invented it.

Todd

Arctic blast could trigger a rare weather phenomenon: Frost quakes

The corporate press has glommed on to another term to further sensationalize weather and thus climate "reporting". 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

This morning the temperature in Connecticut, where my family lives, was -8F (-22C) and it at the same time was 32F (0C) in Calgary, where I lived briefly. So it was 40 degrees F (22 degrees C) warmer in Northern Canada than in Connecticut. The Climate is doing odd things.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 04, 2023, 08:43:51 AMThis morning the temperature in Connecticut, where my family lives, was -8F (-22C) and it was 32F (0C) in Calgary, where I lived briefly. So it was 40 degrees F (22 degrees C) warmer in Northern Canada than in Connecticut. The Climate is doing odd things.

During my childhood, winter in Bucharest meant heavy snowing/blizzards and - 5 to - 15 C for the whole January and February. Back then, I was only too happy because the winter vacation was prolonged because of heavy weather.

I am 50 now and there have been many years since winter in Bucharest means little, if at all, snowing, and temperatures above 0 C for the whole January and February. Abnormal as it is, I am only too happy now, not having to de-snow and de-froze my car each every early morning.

The climate has gone astray, undoubtely.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 04, 2023, 08:43:51 AMThis morning the temperature in Connecticut, where my family lives, was -8F (-22C) and it at the same time was 32F (0C) in Calgary, where I lived briefly. So it was 40 degrees F (22 degrees C) warmer in Northern Canada than in Connecticut. The Climate is doing odd things.
Here it has now "warmed up" to 7°F. This is not crazy for early February (and today's high will only be in the teens), but it is colder than average, and this sharp frost feels worse this weekend because we've had such mild temperatures basically all winter so far (which is the truly unusual element.) And tomorrow's high is to be 47°, which will feel absolutely tropical.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 04, 2023, 09:00:31 AMHere it has now "warmed up" to 7°F. This is not crazy for early February (and today's high will only be in the teens), but it is colder than average, and this sharp frost feels worse this weekend because we've had such mild temperatures basically all winter so far (which is the truly unusual element.) And tomorrow's high is to be 47°, which will feel absolutely tropical.

The ocean is evident moderating the effect of the "polar vortex" in the Boston area.

"Polar vortex" is a newly popular name for a familiar effect, the jet stream loops around and brings cold air down to the U.S. from the polar region, while sweeping warmer are up. This weather is unusual. The basic effect is that the jet stream, which pushes weather systems around, is driven by convection and has become measurably stronger due to global warming.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 04, 2023, 09:05:31 AMThe ocean is evident moderating the effect of the "polar vortex" in the Boston area.

"Polar vortex" is a newly popular name for a familiar effect, the jet stream loops around and brings cold air down to the U.S. from the polar region, while sweeping warmer are up. This weather is unusual. The basic effect is that the jet stream, which pushes weather systems around, is driven by convection and has become measurably stronger due to global warming.
Aye, I didn't mean to seem to gainsay your point that overall the climate is behaving poorly. I'm waiting until 3PM to run my errand, it should be 14° then.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 04, 2023, 09:10:50 AMAye, I didn't mean to seem to gainsay your point that overall the climate is behaving poorly. I'm waiting until 3PM to run my errand, it should be 14° then.

I didn't mean to give that impression.

JBS

Here in Florida we have had high temperatures in the mid-80s F a number of times in the last month, more than one of them being record highs (including I believe yesterday's high).

Today temperatures were in the normal (for this time of year) 60s/70s F range but accompanied by stronger than normal winds (about 15mph), which I presume is tied to the polar vortex.

Yet with those hotter than usual days we've had some colder than usual, including a Christmas weekend that bottomed out at temperatures not seen for several decades at Christmastide.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

drogulus

I'm not buying this globalist warming. The mainstream media won't tell you the central banks are controlling the weather to justify the Great Reset.

How's the weather in Davos? Yeah, they don't talk about that.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on February 04, 2023, 06:50:12 PMYet with those hotter than usual days we've had some colder than usual, including a Christmas weekend that bottomed out at temperatures not seen for several decades at Christmastide.
Not at all cheering!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

A 7.7 or 7.8 earthquake hit southern Turkey/northern Syria hit late Sunday/early Monday (their time). Considerable damage, numerous buildings seem to have collapsed. A number of refugee camps are located on either side of the border in the area affected.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk