The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on March 30, 2023, 10:29:08 AMI agree. The flavor sounds creepy and disgusting. But so were Dr. Pepper, Pizzas, Sushi, canned meat, etc when they were introduced for the first time.
Please tell me that those aren't ramen noodle flavors!  ;)

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Probably, based on human evolution, our neurological/psychological mechanisms are wired to perceive anything with sugar, salt and fat delicious. Again, anything.

drogulus

How expensive are eggs?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

LKB

Actually rather important, but l couldn't bring myself to create a thread for it...

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-indictment-hush-money-stormy-daniels/index.html

While " indictment " doesn't always result translate to " conviction ", I'll go ahead and say it anyway:

About f****ing time.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

LKB

And, some more good news...

" Finland will become the 31st member of Nato after Turkey's parliament voted to approve its application. "

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65132527

8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Spotted Horses

Quote from: LKB on March 30, 2023, 05:46:28 PMActually rather important, but l couldn't bring myself to create a thread for it...

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-indictment-hush-money-stormy-daniels/index.html

While " indictment " doesn't always result translate to " conviction ", I'll go ahead and say it anyway:

About f****ing time.

Probably we are not allowed to discuss this. I have as much contempt for Trump as anyone, but I'm not confident this is a great idea. There is nothing illegal about paying "hush money." The issue here is that business records were falsified to conceal the purpose of the payment. Is that such a significant issue given the other crimes that Trump is guilty of, such as trying to overthrow the government? And extortion is illegal. In that context Trump actually is a victim. Why wasn't Stormy Daniels prosecuted? I feat that this will only serve to rile up Trump's base and strengthen his support.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Todd

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 31, 2023, 05:17:17 AM...but I'm not confident this is a great idea.

From Bloomberg: Trump Indictment Is Going to Make US Politics Even More Divisive

It's never a good look when the government at any level, controlled by one party, prosecutes the leading figure of the opposition party while that figure is running for office.  It has a strong whiff of Latin America about it.  This case could pave the way for more political prosecutions. 

Just when you think chaos and dysfunction couldn't get any worse/better, it does!
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: absolutelybaching on March 31, 2023, 05:56:05 AMIt's now, I think, that Biden might offer a pardon for all offences related to reporting business expenses before 2016. As is commonly acknowledged (see Burdick v. United States, 236 U.S. 79 (1915)), accepting a pardon means admitting guilt. And it makes Biden the generous, non-partisan one. Whilst not pardoning anything terribly significant (I'd say Jan 6th was much more prosecutable).

That's not the worst idea I've heard.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Todd

Trump faces a New York state prosecution.  A presidential pardon means nothing. 

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Todd on March 31, 2023, 06:55:38 AMTrump faces a New York state prosecution.  A presidential pardon means nothing. 

Ooops, right, and I believe the Governor of NY only has the option of granting clemency (after a conviction) rather than a pardon prior to conviction. Oh well.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Todd on March 31, 2023, 05:46:05 AMFrom Bloomberg: Trump Indictment Is Going to Make US Politics Even More Divisive

It's never a good look when the government at any level, controlled by one party, prosecutes the leading figure of the opposition party while that figure is running for office.  It has a strong whiff of Latin America about it.  This case could pave the way for more political prosecutions. 

Just when you think chaos and dysfunction couldn't get any worse/better, it does!

Well, I'm not sure I would characterize this as a political prosecution, but yes, I foresee Obama being indicted for his treasonous wearing of a tan suit...

Todd

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 31, 2023, 07:37:33 AMWell, I'm not sure I would characterize this as a political persecution

I wrote prosecutions, not persecution.  There's a difference.

Depending on the charges, and in particular if campaign finance violations are involved, one can expect more such prosecutions.  Like with this one, timing will coincide with electoral convenience.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Todd on March 31, 2023, 07:41:48 AMI wrote prosecutions, not persecution.  There's a difference.

Depending on the charges, and in particular if campaign finance violations are involved, one can expect more such prosecutions.  Like with this one, timing will coincide with electoral convenience.

Typo, corrected.

Todd

In the extremely unlikely event that Trump is convicted and faces prison time, it would be quite informative and entertaining to see how potential conflicts between imprisonment and Secret Service protection get resolved. 

Karl Henning

Make the Unimportant News Thread about Unimportant News again!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: LKB on March 30, 2023, 06:01:21 PMAnd, some more good news...

" Finland will become the 31st member of Nato after Turkey's parliament voted to approve its application. "

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65132527

8)

We feel relieved here in Finland!  8)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 31, 2023, 08:51:11 AMMake the Unimportant News Thread about Unimportant News again!

Or just make it a News Thread and let the readers decide themselves how important the news are..
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

greg

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on March 29, 2023, 01:19:39 PMCup Noodles introduces a breakfast version of instant ramen, which mixes together the flavors of sausage, maple syrup pancakes and eggs.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/29/business/cup-noodles-breakfast-ramen-launch/index.html
Sweet stuff does not belong in ramen- the maple syrup pancakes is the issue here.
Eggs- definitely yes, sausage- idk, but sounds totally like it would work.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on March 30, 2023, 02:59:43 PMHow expensive are eggs?
I've seen organic and free range eggs for as high as $8/dozen (at a large supermarket). Various brands are sometimes on sale, but then there's normally a run on them.  Not certain what the large conventional commercial brands are going for these days.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 31, 2023, 09:26:32 AMI've seen organic and free range eggs for as high as $8/dozen (at a large supermarket). Various brands are sometimes on sale, but then there's normally a run on them.  Not certain what the large conventional commercial brands are going for these days.

PD
I want to say that's higher than here, but as I don't buy eggs when I'm solo, I canna be sure.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot