The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on June 03, 2023, 11:28:02 AMI suspect the Book of Mormon was not banned.
It apparently was (referring here to the Bible) banned in one district in Utah for primary and middle school libraries (but not at high school level).

Someone (no idea if it was the same person/group or not) has also requested that the BOM also be banned (same district) for the same reasons.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 03, 2023, 01:24:32 PMIt apparently was (referring here to the Bible) banned in one district in Utah for primary and middle school libraries (but not at high school level).

Someone (no idea if it was the same person/group or not) has also requested that the BOM also be banned (same district) for the same reasons.

PD

"This country is going straight to Hell!" --- says a character from American Beauty.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 03, 2023, 01:24:32 PMSomeone (no idea if it was the same person/group or not) has also requested that the BOM also be banned (same district) for the same reasons.

The Book of Mormon will not be banned anywhere in Utah.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

LKB

Quote from: Florestan on June 03, 2023, 01:30:45 PM"This country is going straight to Hell!" --- says a character from American Beauty.  ;D

If the Republicans achieve victory in 2024, I'm afraid that character is very likely to be proven right ( assuming Donald can remain un-incarcerated and eligible ).
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Bar from NBC comedy 'Cheers' sells at auction for $675,000
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

George Santos' lawyer says that he would rather go to jail than reveal the names of the two people who had agreed to co-sign his $500,000 bond [Note:  one person who was going to also co-sign apparently backed out due to all of the attention that he was getting in the news.].  He has requested that their names be sealed.

https://apnews.com/article/george-santos-criminal-case-bond-cosigners-d31dbf4e7f3b0d970d76617f9b347464

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 06, 2023, 01:18:09 AMGeorge Santos' lawyer says that he would rather go to jail than reveal the names of the two people who had agreed to co-sign his $500,000 bond [Note:  one person who was going to also co-sign apparently backed out due to all of the attention that he was getting in the news.].  He has requested that their names be sealed.

https://apnews.com/article/george-santos-criminal-case-bond-cosigners-d31dbf4e7f3b0d970d76617f9b347464

PD
Another vacuous performance.

TD: Apple launches another super-pricey gewgaw

Apple reveals long-awaited virtual and augmented reality headset, to debut at a price of $3,500
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Oh, this tickled me:

Former Trump White House attorney Ty Cobb, who's named after a famous baseball player and looks like Wilfred Brimley, is somehow a real person. We know this if only because Cobb was once caught talking too loudly on the phone about his colleagues while sitting in a restaurant, without knowing that he was sitting next to a reporter. No really, this happened.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 06, 2023, 01:18:09 AMGeorge Santos' lawyer says that he would rather go to jail than reveal the names of the two people who had agreed to co-sign his $500,000 bond [Note:  one person who was going to also co-sign apparently backed out due to all of the attention that he was getting in the news.].  He has requested that their names be sealed.

PD

Quote from: Bill PalmerInstead of making a legitimate filing, Santos used the whole thing as an opportunity to grandstand. He baselessly claimed that whoever paid his bail would lose their job and be physically unsafe if their identity were revealed. Santos also specifically stated in the court filing that he would rather sit in jail while awaiting trial than reveal his benefactors' names.

Here's the thing about being out on bail while awaiting criminal trial on felony charges: you're supposed to behave like a saint. You're supposed to spend every day showing the courts that you deserve the benefit of the doubt, and that you're not trending toward behavior that would make it impossible for the courts allow you to continue roaming free. You're particularly expected to treat the court processes with respect. And Santos' asinine stunt of a court filing – which appears to have been made after the deadline – all but flips the courts the middle finger.

George Santos is playing with fire in this bail dispute with the courts
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 06, 2023, 07:49:51 AMTD: Apple launches another super-pricey gewgaw

Apple reveals long-awaited virtual and augmented reality headset, to debut at a price of $3,500

Apple has struggled to produce new sector-defining product since Steve Jobs went out of the picture, but I have not seen anything that would tempt me to leave my iPhone, iPad, Mac behind. I would probably have AppleTV if I could watch TV. And the AirPods Max is a great product.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Wanderer

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 06, 2023, 07:49:51 AMAnother vacuous performance.

TD: Apple launches another super-pricey gewgaw

And yet, still no native calculator app for the iPad.  🤷

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Wanderer on June 06, 2023, 08:25:19 PMAnd yet, still no native calculator app for the iPad.  🤷

That is a peculiar omission, supposedly because Steve Jobs thought the iPhone calculator app looked lame on a big iPad screen. Not real problem, since you can type any mathematical expression into google and it will give you the solution, and a calculator app to play with.

In my case, I prefer RPN calculators and the one I use on iPhone also works on iPad. It does look lame.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on June 03, 2023, 08:43:07 AMBy this token, we should really stop teaching anything and everything, for somewhere someone would surely find it offensive.  ;D

That was the point of the ban.  It is meant to be a teachable moment to conservatives looking to ban books for everyone based on their own personal preferences and biases.  If you didn't know book banning is getting out of hand here in the US.

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on June 07, 2023, 05:49:24 AMThat was the point of the ban.  It is meant to be a teachable moment to conservatives looking to ban books for everyone based on their own personal preferences and biases.  If you didn't know book banning is getting out of hand here in the US.

I am aware of that madness.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 06, 2023, 07:49:51 AMTD: Apple launches another super-pricey gewgaw

What is funny is that VR headsets made a splash and then quietly died out of lack of consumer interest.  Strapping a bulky, heavy headset to my head is a big fat NO for me. 

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on June 07, 2023, 05:57:10 AMWhat is funny is that VR headsets made a splash and then quietly died out of lack of consumer interest.  Strapping a bulky, heavy headset to my head is a big fat NO for me. 

I have no interest, but Apple has a history of making clunky things elegant. Maybe civilization has become so pathetic that people need enhanced reality. :(

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 07, 2023, 06:10:07 AMI have no interest, but Apple has a history of making clunky things elegant. Maybe civilization has become so pathetic that people need enhanced reality. :(

By the time they have a mainstream (affordable) solution, perhaps they will be ordinary glasses or contacts.  But I'm the type of guy that keeps my phone in one part of the house (as if it was a landline!) instead of my pocket, so even then I'm not the intended consumer! :D

greg

Quote from: DavidW on June 07, 2023, 05:57:10 AMWhat is funny is that VR headsets made a splash and then quietly died out of lack of consumer interest.  Strapping a bulky, heavy headset to my head is a big fat NO for me. 
That's part of the reason, but the other reasons are pricing and lack of good software.

There's so many companies competing to make better headsets- it will definitely end up like other technologies, only improving. Eventually, we will get small and light wireless headsets with all the technical stuff down (no corner blind spots, very high resolution, no screen door effect) for an affordable price, and more support from major games. The improvements are already there from previous headsets, just takes a bit more time to get to their final form.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie