The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 22, 2024, 11:31:38 PM'Seagull Boy', nine, wins European screeching competition

BBC News
Talented young lad!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Local news: 'Mega-rare' bird spotted at Oregon's Hug Point is first sighting in U.S. history

It's only the second time a Blue Rock Thrush has been spotted in North America.  Maybe I should boogie on down to the coast when the sun reappears and see if I can catch a glimpse.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Cicadas are coming out here in South Carolina.  In the local news, some people in Greenville called the police with a noise complaint! :laugh:

Jo498

These Cicadas were in international news a week ago or so as it's going to be the largest batch in decades!
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on April 26, 2024, 01:43:12 PMLocal news: 'Mega-rare' bird spotted at Oregon's Hug Point is first sighting in U.S. history

It's only the second time a Blue Rock Thrush has been spotted in North America.  Maybe I should boogie on down to the coast when the sun reappears and see if I can catch a glimpse.
Beautiful bird.  I do hope that s/he finds a mate though!  :(

Quote from: DavidW on April 28, 2024, 08:04:47 AMCicadas are coming out here in South Carolina.  In the local news, some people in Greenville called the police with a noise complaint! :laugh:

Quote from: Jo498 on April 28, 2024, 08:26:52 AMThese Cicadas were in international news a week ago or so as it's going to be the largest batch in decades!
I've heard about them too via news stories.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Meet The Onion's new CEO, former disinformation reporter Ben Collins

I initially thought the news story originated with The Onion, but no.  You can't make this stuff up.

Todd

From CNBC: Why hundreds of U.S. banks may be at risk of failure

The plain language summary:

Many community and regional banks are overexposed to commercial real estate and hold too many low yield securities and will face liquidity challenges.  Some will fail, and large banks will be forced to buy the failing banks.  Many of the smaller banks will quietly be sold to large banks before they fail, hiding the scale of the problem.  The end result will be further concentration of the banking sector.  This, in turn, means that the next US financial panic will be a real humdinger that impacts the world.

Again.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Todd

Todd

From Reuters: Israeli cabinet votes to shut down Al Jazeera's local operations

Liberal values are ascendant.  Hey, wasn't there supposed to be some world historical election at the end of March, too?  Hmmm . . .