The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

On second thought, this belongs in the important news thread!:

QuoteOne of the last shipments to a U.S. research base in Antarctica before air service was suspended for the winter included 16,500 condoms. There are 125 scientists and staff members at the base. Winter lasts three to four months. You do the math.
http://www.courant.com/features/lifestyle/hc-shea0614.artjun14,0,2298625.column

And the scary thing is, these are SCIENTISTS in ANTARCTICA. You know. Geeks.

knight66

The politics of kids birthday parties. In Sweden one case of a child who failed to invite two of his classmates to his birthday party is being discussed in parliament.

His teacher noticed two boys had not been given invites and he confiscated all the cards. He maintained it was a form of discrimination; though the item specifies that one of the kids had been nasty to the birthday boy over a period of time.

The State is involving itself over who kids celebrate with...you have to invite your enemies if the invites were given out on school premises.

Of course, The Times is not the most trustworthy of commentators, but, assuming some truth in the reporting, here is the startling story.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4228131.ece

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

J.Z. Herrenberg

QuoteThe school, in Lund, southern Sweden, argues that if invitations are handed out on school premises, which are public areas, it has an obligation to ensure that there is no discrimination. It is irrelevant that the party will be held in a private household.

Send the things through the post.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

knight66

But ought someone have to 'get round' the system in that way? Is it appropriate that the state sets up such a system? I think things are over intrusive in the UK, but I hope we don't get to the Swedish point with this issue. I think that Sweden has 100% adult literacy rate, so they have a lot to commend them in achieving that. Lots of good policies in with the mix no doubt.

Mike

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: knight on June 29, 2008, 02:18:14 AM
But ought someone have to 'get round' the system in that way? Is it appropriate that the state sets up such a system? I think things are over intrusive in the UK, but I hope we don't get to the Swedish point with this issue. I think that Sweden has 100% adult literacy rate, so they have a lot to commend them in achieving that. Lots of good policies in with the mix no doubt.

No, I don't like the State enforcing 'Paradise', it can easily lead to creating Hell. It's better to take human imperfection into account and encourage people to mitigate its effects as they see fit. By sending invitations through the post, for instance, avoiding envy and resentment.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

knight66

Yes, if all but two boys were invited, that is pointed. But for the state to take a part seems heavy-handed.

Mike

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: knight on June 29, 2008, 03:28:28 AM
Yes, if all but two boys were invited, that is pointed. But for the state to take a part seems heavy-handed.

The Scandinavian countries are small, population-wise, and ethnically still quite homogeneous (our resident Norwegians and Danes may correct me). One big village, one big family. The Swedes talk about the 'folkhem' ('the people's home'). So perhaps the sense of exclusion could be accordingly bigger. And 'the State' seems perhaps less distant. To say it with a pun: Nanny can be your Nan.

knight66

I suppose the lack of immigration in theory gives you an advantage with the literacy rate. Here in the UK we have entire schools consisting of children for whom English is not their first language. However, the picture seems to be more complex, in that the rate amongst the indigenous population is far from satisfactory. Some new reading schemes have been introduced, but it is to remedy a problem that ought never to have been there.

Mike

Christo

Amy Winehouse - my most beloved artist, of course - hitting a fan:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7479715.stm
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Christo on June 29, 2008, 07:59:45 AM
Amy Winehouse - my most beloved artist, of course - hitting a fan:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7479715.stm

With her it's always something hitting the fan. Stupid woman.

Christo

Quote from: Jezetha on June 29, 2008, 08:01:35 AM
Stupid woman.

Oh dear. Have to report you to the moderator, for abusing a religion ...  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Christo on June 29, 2008, 08:04:26 AM
Oh dear. Have to report you to the moderator, for abusing a religion ...  ;)

You're right! I forgot...  ;D

knight66

What does she keep in her hair? Her stash....a bucket and mop.....her complete works of Shelley?

Mike

Anne

She wears a wig.

She has been diagnosed w/ early stages of emphysema according to her father this last week.  When she was released from the hospipal, she started smoking immediately.

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe on July 07, 2008, 05:34:48 AM
Adolf Hitler Beheaded in Berlin

Henryk M. Broder, a reporter and commentator for SPIEGEL, said wryly: "Finally an attack on Hitler was successful."

;D ;D ;D

karlhenning

Quote"Never again war!" the man yelled as he attacked the wax figure.

I suppose that the fellow who defaced the wax figure does not see the irony in his vandalism?

Lethevich

Quote from: karlhenning on July 07, 2008, 07:47:08 AM
I suppose that the fellow who defaced the wax figure does not see the irony in his vandalism?

Indeed - now the candlestick men are going to launch a retaliatory invasion of Europe...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on July 07, 2008, 07:47:08 AM

But if Hitler had only attacked a wax figure, he wouldn't have been a wax figure at Madame Tussaud's...