The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Jezetha on July 07, 2008, 07:53:06 AM
But if Hitler had only attacked a wax figure, he wouldn't have been a wax figure at Madame Tussaud's...

So Mme. Tussaud is rewarding bad behavior, you think, Johan;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on July 07, 2008, 07:54:03 AM
So Mme. Tussaud is rewarding bad behavior, you think, Johan;)

They call that History, my dear Karl...

(Are the arts and sport the most innocent things to make history with, I wonder)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Quote from: Jezetha on July 07, 2008, 08:04:06 AM
They call that History, my dear Karl...

History! I've heard of it!

All the more reason to admire men who make a mark in history in a positive way, yes? (I'm sure Mme. Tussaud does these figures [waxen] justice, too.)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on July 07, 2008, 08:07:24 AM
All the more reason to admire men who make a mark in history in a positive way, yes? (I'm sure Mme. Tussaud does these figures [waxen] justice, too.)

Agreed. That's why this Forum exists, for example.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

pjme

In the summer of 2008, the tenth World Harp Congress will take place in Amsterdam, Holland. Harpists from all over the world will visit The Netherlands to play, excibit, give lectures or attend concerts. The first World Harp Congress was in Holland and it is great to have it back here after 25 years.
With some harpteachers from Holland we made a program for everybody to attend. All Dutch students from all over the country are invited to play in the World greatest Harp Orchestra. When you attend the congress from abroad and you can arrange a harp to play on, you are welcome to join us.
We will try to set a Guinness World Record with the greatest harp orchestra, maybe even two, when we will also try to make the longest harp orchestra with an improvisation piece by Claudia Rumondor.
In the concert we will play new pieces by Alfredo Rolando Ortiz from Venezuela and by Kaska from the USA. Maestro Kaska will also conduct the concert.
Deborah Henson will play a solo with her Guinness 500 Blues, accompanied by the harporchestra. Frank Groothof, a Dutch singer, will sing a Dutch song which is arranged for the 500 harps by Rosetty.
The concert will take place on Tuesday the 22 nd of July at the Passengers-terminal near the 'Muziekgebouw aan het IJ' in Amsterdam.
You can subscribe for this event on the site www.harp.eu . The form is in Dutch. When you have problems filling in this form: mail to yolanda@sax.nl
In order to receive the music and the rehearsal CD you have to pay 25 Euro in advance. After subscribing you will receive the details for this payment. This 25 Euro is not included in the Congress pass or Day pass.
We will be happy to welcome you!

Peter

Novi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/norfolk/7496923.stm

Teenager finds bat asleep in bra 

A teenager who thought movement in her underwear was caused by her vibrating mobile phone found a bat curled up asleep in her bra.

Abbie Hawkins, 19, of Norwich, had been wearing the bra for five hours when she plucked up the courage to investigate.

When she did, she found a baby bat in padding in her 34FF bra. The hotel receptionist said she was shocked but felt bad for removing the "cuddly" bat.

"It looked cosy and comfortable and I was sorry for disturbing it," she said.

She was sitting at her desk at work when she decided to investigate the strange movements in her underwear.

"I put my hand down my bra and pulled out a cuddly little bat.   Perhaps I should have left it there and given it a good home

"That shocked me very much at the time, but it scuttled off under the desk into the dark. I was shaking from head to toe.

"It looked quite cosy and comfortable in there so it was quite rude of me to take it out.

"When I realised it was a bat the first thing that occurred to me was how did it get in there.

"I felt quite sorry for it. Perhaps I should have left it there and given it a good home.

"I did not notice anything as I put my bra on. The night before I had had one or two drinks and I was getting ready quickly.

"The bra was in my drawer but it had been on the washing line the day before.

"When I was driving to work, I felt a slight vibration but I thought it was just my mobile phone in my jacket pocket."

The bat was captured by one of her colleagues and released.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Papy Oli

Olivier

Lethevich

Quote from: papy on July 12, 2008, 08:36:46 AM
- Golf club ends 113-year sock rule -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7503576.stm?lsm

"a move that officials said has divided the club's 600 members."

Poor buggers ::)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: papy on July 12, 2008, 08:36:46 AM
- Golf club ends 113-year sock rule -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7503576.stm?lsm

How this qualifies as "unimportant news" eludes me! TRADITION!. Dammit!  >:(   :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
K 158a 165 Exsultate jubilate - Süddeutsches Kammerorchester Pforzheim/Nicol Matt - K 158a 165 Exsultate, jubilate in F - pt 03- Tu Virginum corona
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Papy Oli

Olivier

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: papy on July 12, 2008, 09:51:40 AM
oh, put a sock in it !   >:D

:P

OK, but just a little short one, not one of those great knee-length rascals...  0:)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
K 159a 160 String Quartet #7 in Eb - Talich Quartet - K 159a 160 String Quartet #7 in Eb 3rd mvmt - Presto
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Anne

'Lifesaver' Bottle Purifies Water in Seconds
Friday, May 09, 2008

By Allison Barrie

Lifesaver Systems

There's a reason they call it the "Lifesaver."

On the outside, it looks like an ordinary sports bottle. On the inside, there's a miracle: an extremely advanced filtration system that makes murky water filled with deadly viruses and bacteria completely clean in just seconds.

The Lifesaver removes 99.999 percent of water-borne pathogens and reduces heavy metals like lead, meaning even the filthiest water can be cleaned — immediately.

It will be a boon to soldiers in the field, so it's winning accolades from the military.

It also stands to revolutionize humanitarian aid. It could be the first weapon in the fight against disease after a natural disaster, like the one in Myanmar this week.

I attended the Lifesaver's launch at DSEi London, the world's largest arms fair. Its inventor provided a pool of dirty pond water as a test subject, and I drank some after it was filtered. Not only did it look pure once it passed through the Lifesaver, it tasted pure, too.

Relate

'Lifesaver' Bottle Purifies Water in Seconds
Full-page Security Barrier Archive

• Click here to see a British soldier demonstrating how the Lifesaver will clean even the dirtiest water.

The process takes only 20 seconds and is simple enough: scoop some water, pump it through the filter and you're ready to go. The instructions are displayed in pictures on the side of the bottle, so it can be used by anyone, removing the language barrier.

Outdoor enthusiasts may find it useful, but the Lifesaver is perfect for the military. The bottle is designed to "scoop and go," so soldiers won't have to carry the added weight of clean bottled water. They can pick some up out of any source and keep moving.

As an added bonus, the bottle can shoot a pressurized jet of water from any angle, which will be useful for washing wounds free of contaminants and debris.

Other filters use ceramic pores and can't catch most bacteria and viruses, but the Lifesaver uses microscopic pores a mere 15 nanometers across — about one-hundredth the width of a spider's silk — narrow enough to stop the tiniest threats. That means virtually nothing — not even bacteria and viruses — can get through.

And since the bottle uses a carbon filter, it makes water safe and sterile without any chemicals, removing that iodine or chlorine taste.

The bottle weighs about 1.5 pounds and can filter one and a half pints of clean drinking water each go. Its replaceable filter can handle more than 1,500 gallons of dirty water before it has to be replaced. And since it won't process any water once the filter has expired, it will be impossible to drink contaminated water by mistake.

Michael Pritchard, a British entrepreneur, designed the Lifesaver in the wake of freshwater shortages that followed the 2004 tsunami and Hurricane Katrina.

Delivering bottled water to disaster areas is difficult, especially in places like Myanmar, where the government is currently interfering with efforts to distribute supplies and aid. If disaster victims had access to the Lifesaver, they could have ongoing access to clean water without the need for airlifts.

Delivering those planeloads of water is expensive, too. A U.S. Army study revealed that the cost of delivering bottled water to Afghanistan was $4.69 per gallon. Pentagon figures on Hurricane Mitch showed the cost of air freight was even higher: $7.60 per gallon.

Just one Boeing C-17 transport plane full of Lifesaver bottles would provide 500,000 people with access to safe drinking water for up to 16 months — saving millions and saving lives.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Renfield

The hailstone blast-off had me laughing so hard I was almost crying. :P

ezodisy

Lethevich

Quote from: ezodisy on August 07, 2008, 09:00:53 AM
This isn't so much unimportant as stupid

Bad spelling should be accepted

Hehe, this could only happen in Britain. My generation in particular (which I sadly represent well) has an extremely poor understanding of the formal aspects of the language. English language classes are inadequate and the teachers don't care whether children do well or not, as the grade doesn't hold much weight anyway.

This "solution" is ridiculous. It isn't just concerning spelling - memorising new words and their spellings keep the brain stimulated, it is an example of how education begets education. To say that this part is no longer important brings into question whether education in general is worthwhile. I believe this is called a slippery slope... :P
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.