The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ezodisy

Quote"Coffee/Lunch. I'm addicted to coffee. I like a cappuccino when I come in, an espresso at 3pm and soup at 12.30-1pm."

That sounds a lot like me. Cappuccino before 8. Espresso after soup. Another by 4. One in the evening. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Quote"Never put anything to me unless you understand it and can explain it to me in 60 seconds,"

Quite right.

Quote"If I see things that are not of acceptable quality, I will blame you."

Absolutely, though these days poor quality is so common and widespread that instead of blame one just has to shrug one's shoulders.

Quote"I am often not very clear or my writing is illegible," he says. "If I'm in the middle of thinking about something, I might ask you to come back - don't be put off by this."

Sounds like a smart and self-understanding chap.

The only thing wrong with all this is that he actually put it all together, published it and handed it out. That is just silly, smug and pedantic.

Never trust someone who points at you with his or her fingers.

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lethevich

Eye for an eye can be morbidly amusing sometimes.

ezodisy

ezodisy

Ban on tobacco displays announced

The open display of tobacco in shops is to be banned in England and Wales, the government has announced

You know the government makes billions upon billions of pounds from the sale of tobacco and cigarettes each year, most of the NHS is probably funded this way, yet they keep putting on a show as if they actually care, and are doing the "right" thing to help people. The "right" thing never involves dictating how someone else should live. This isn't a case of stopping someone from doing something because it's harming someone else--if they cared, they could always do something about the drug dealers who are all over the place; it's a case of some passive-aggressive nitwit at a desk somewhere who has no imagination and is bent on the most pathetic sort of revenge or retribution dressed up as an act to help young people. Why do people always want to make other people just like themselves? Or more accurately: why do miserable, unintelligent people always want to make other people just like themselves? You know what the problem with these people is? They lack self-disgust, which of course means that they lack self-awareness. One critical eye over their own lives and they might understand just how horrible and horrifying they are.

But it ain't gonna happen.

Good idea: no smoking in restaurants

Bad idea: no smoking in pubs and cafes, putting pictures of diseased lungs on packs of tobacco, driving the product underground

Harry

Its a excellent idea idea that this sick behavior like smoking is stopped.
Everywhere!

ezodisy

Lethevich

It's funny to keep being reminded what cowards terrorists are. Almost every one that has been caught in the UK has denied their crimes and used very weak excuses to try to use the legal system against the population and get off free. There is currently another bunch using the same defence of "we wanted to scare people, not blow them up". Unfortunately they know so little about the countries they would like to destroy that they are unaware how effective these legal systems are at convicting people like them. Amazing how unprincipled these nutcases are, but at least they will be having a miserable time in jails full of people who hate them.

karlhenning

Quote from: ezodisy on December 09, 2008, 12:39:35 AM
Good idea: no smoking in restaurants

Bad idea: no smoking in pubs and cafes [snip]

My opinion, of course, but these both actually seem like good ideas to me, and I'm not sure why there would be a moral divide between these.

ezodisy

Quote from: karlhenning on December 09, 2008, 04:29:44 AM
My opinion, of course, but these both actually seem like good ideas to me, and I'm not sure why there would be a moral divide between these.

well not even smokers smoke when they eat. That is the point. Cafes and particularly pubs are places to relax though. Obviously non-smokers won't feel too relaxed in a smoky place, but you don't drink alcohol for your health, do you? Unlike the US, I don't think the UK ever really went in for that idea of smoking/non-smoking sections, which makes the sudden move to non-smoking entirely seem a bit daft.

There's a picture of a needle and a message "Smoking is highly addictive, don't start" on a pack of Drum I bought, like anyone who buys it is a narco man or some such rubbish. It cost £5, most of which is tax. In France I can buy the same pack with more than 50% extra for just 6 Euros. Something's not right

Lethevich

Quote from: ezodisy on December 09, 2008, 06:19:14 AM
There's a picture of a needle and a message "Smoking is highly addictive, don't start" on a pack of Drum I bought, like anyone who buys it is a narco man or some such rubbish

Well, to be fair, quite a few narco men do less damage to themselves than smokers.

mn dave

karlhenning

For a bit, after they've tamped themselves down.

ezodisy

Quote from: Lethe on December 09, 2008, 06:28:32 AM
Well, to be fair, quite a few narco men do less damage to themselves than smokers.

That's a cool chart. What is Khat? Never heard of it.

"A khat picnic in a cave in the mountains near Khulan, Yemen."

lol

karlhenning

Lethevich

Quote from: ezodisy on December 09, 2008, 06:36:19 AM
That's a cool chart. What is Khat? Never heard of it.

It is interesting indeed - I first heard about it on local TV news because of some ethnic population in Bristol using it, and "blah blah controversy", etc. I see that Wikipedia says most EU countries and the US have made it illegal, but Britain hasn't, making us a hub for the export of illegal "khat". Awesome!

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

karlhenning

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948