The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knight66

Will the title become hyphenated; that will confuse those who bought Private Magazine for years.  >:D

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Wendell_E

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

knight66

Lethevich

I really like these daily rag-influenced witch hunts, the cat woman is fine, as is that disgusting Blackpool woman who prompted headlines like:

Cenotaph woman remains at large
Wendy Lewis: Britain's Most Disgusting Person, Evades Authorities
Vile memorial drunk walks free
Cenotaph outrage woman apologises for urinating on memorial

It even made the Mail forget about immigrants for five seconds.

While the journalists' time could be better spent investigating crime, corruption, etc, it's always good to every now and again see social deviants get red faced when confronted about their actions :P
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

knight66

The owner of the cat was quited as saying that her eight year old was brokenhearted when she saw the video footage.....why was she shown it?

People get very enraged about the story; ignoring other more significant issues. The perpetrator is some kind of cruel, but police now have to guard her house!

Mike

Lethevich

MN Dave

Lethevich

Cat Summoned for Jury Service

Mrs Esposito reportedly included a letter from her vet confirming that the cat was a 'domestic short-haired neutered feline' and not human.

However, the request for the cat's exemption was refused by a jury commissioner and Mrs Esposito was told that Sal 'must attend' Suffolk Superior Crown Court.

knight66

The trial is probably that of a cat burglar.

Mike

Scarpia

Taco-Bel "beef" contains only 30% beef, according to lab findings.   :P

Lethevich

knight66

Quote from The Guardian Newspaper.

'A withering email to a "bad mannered" bride-to-be from her future mother-in-law has gone viral, prompting comparison between its author and the sitcom snob Hyacinth Bucket.

In the email sent to Heidi Withers, a PA from West London, last month, Carolyn Bourne describes her stepson Freddie's fiancee as "an ideal candidate for the Ladette to Lady television series", a reality TV show where drunken, foul-mouthed young women are taught the points of etiquette.

But Bourne has found herself compared to the show's comically sour-faced disciplinarians Mrs Harbord and Mrs Shrager – after Withers forwarded the disparaging remarks to a few friends, which led to the email being sent on to thousands of people.

In the email, Bourne, 60, from Dawlish, Devon, apparently rebukes Withers, 29, for her behaviour during a visit to the family in April, which she describes as "staggering in its uncouthness and lack of grace".

Bourne, whose company website describes her as a breeder of "award winning perfumed Pinks and Dianthus", seemingly exemplifies the worst stereotypes of mothers-in-law and stepmothers......implies that the PA is marrying above her station and is a potential gold digger.

She writes: "If you want to be accepted by the wider Bourne family, I suggest you take some guidance from experts with utmost haste.

"Here are a few examples of your lack of manners: When you are a guest in another's house, you do not declare what you will and will not eat – unless you are positively allergic to something.

"You do not remark that you do not have enough food. You do not start before everyone else.

"You do not take additional helpings without being invited to by your host.

"When a guest in another's house, you do not lie in bed until late morning in households that rise early. You fall in line with house norms.

"You should never ever insult the family you are about to join at any time and most definitely not in public.

"You regularly draw attention to yourself. Perhaps you should ask yourself why. No one gets married in a castle unless they own it. It is brash, celebrity style behaviour.

"If your parents are unable to contribute very much towards the cost of your wedding, it would be most ladylike and gracious to lower your sights and have a modest wedding as befits both your incomes.

"One could be accused of thinking that Heidi Withers must be patting herself on the back for having caught a most eligible young man. I pity Freddie."

Bourne and her husband, Edward, 63, have declined to comment on the email. "We have nothing to say," they told the Evening Standard.

The prospective bridegroom Freddie Bourne, 29, from Putney, London, would also not be drawn on the apparent spat.'

It is like a throwback to the 1920s, Bertie Wooster's monstrous Aunt Agatha writ large. It sounds like the young woman was irritating, but the older woman is clearly a controlling snob. In this world guests have to fit in; seemingly the idea that you make efforts to ensure your guest feels comfortable is quite beside the point.

Mike

eyeresist

Quote from: knight66 on July 01, 2011, 11:10:37 PM
Quote from The Guardian Newspaper.

'A withering email to a "bad mannered" bride-to-be from her future mother-in-law has gone viral, prompting comparison between its author and the sitcom snob Hyacinth Bucket.

Oh God, this was actually a big "news" story here a couple of days ago. Next it'll be, "Tonight's big story: kitten plays piano - bad but cute!"

As for the actual case, I think the email writer was probably prompted by a mixture of furious indignation and a genuine desire to advise her future daughter-in-law. After all, some people are gauche not by choice but simply by ignorance (and I have been one of them). She does seem an archetypally status-anxious upper-middle type, but, given that the fiance does indeed seem to be a slapper of the first order, I'll grant her some leeway. Especially as her son doesn't seem to be aware of what he is walking into.

In these days of ahistoricity and PC-ness, it's nice to see the British class system hasn't gone extinct yet :)

knight66

I have read that the woman used to run a market stall; so she is what in the British class system would be referred to as 'trade.'

Mike

eyeresist

Whereas helping the king on the lavatory used to be a titled position! (No citation immediately to hand, sorry.)

Lethevich

knight66

Quote from: eyeresist on July 03, 2011, 08:32:48 PM
Whereas helping the king on the lavatory used to be a titled position! (No citation immediately to hand, sorry.)

Gentlemen of the stool.

Mike