The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

I loved that story about the PM. The MP was trying to be super partisan, but ended up sounding like a lunatic ;D The simple way the deputy PM dealt with it was quite elegant (for him).
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on December 20, 2011, 03:21:03 PM
Curiously, I had actually quoted your post and written a reply to it a few days ago, but it didn't seem worth posting (and given what I DO post, it must've been truly crap). Essentially I was going to ask you to decode all the terminology - as I don't understand enough about American sport to see any fun in it :'(

For example, what does "post-season" mean here?

Sorry, Sara. It was late when I posted that. Way past my bedtime. I forgot to include my usual grin at the end. That's now been rectified. I was not being entirely serious...at least I don't think I was! Hard to remember now...I confess to drinking more than my usual quota of wine last evening, and chasing the last bottle with a few drams of Scotch  ;D

Post-season games are those played after the end of a regular season in order to determine a champion. In college football the post-season games are called bowl games. The originals were the Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl and Cotton Bowl and they are still the most prestigious, involving the best college teams. But the concept has proliferated to such a hilarious degree that even the lowly spud has a game named after it now  ;D  So while it's nice to have some national recognition for my university, there is something decidedly screwy about a game named The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl played in the middle of nowhere (my apologies to any Boise residents :D )

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Lethevich

Ah, I see thanks :) I look forward to a Wisconsin "Dairy Bowl" (it sounds delicious) ;D

Karl Henning

If Boise residents don't know that their town is out in the middle of nowhere, they're in serious denial.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

eyeresist

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on December 20, 2011, 03:21:03 PMCuriously, I had actually quoted your post and written a reply to it a few days ago, but it didn't seem worth posting (and given what I DO post, it must've been truly crap).

Was going to reply to this, but didn't have anything worth saying.

;)

knight66

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on December 21, 2011, 08:15:55 AM
I loved that story about the PM. The MP was trying to be super partisan, but ended up sounding like a lunatic ;D The simple way the deputy PM dealt with it was quite elegant (for him).

One aspect of this I did not really grasp, and I heard quite a long interview on radio with the MP, was that he seemed only to worry about the demise of the PM by means of terrorism. It could be a a surfeit of lampreys or falling out of his tree; but the MP only seemed concerned should there be a gap in the fence because it was kicked in.

One thing we do know, no danger of it being Prescott these days.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Lethevich

Based on an article I read a while back, the PM's primary health concern should not be terrorists, but falling masonry next time he visits Buckingham Palace.

Lethevich

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

"As a preventive measure not of an urgent nature. . . ."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Lethevich

Karl Henning

Talk about yer representative democracy . . . .

QuoteThe Center for Responsive Politics found that 47 percent of current members of Congress are millionaires.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Szykneij

Quote from: Todd on January 02, 2012, 10:57:22 AM
Makes sense.  Or does it?

How does one collect the damages if the suit is successful? It's unlikely that an 18-year old had much of an estate and garnishing the wages of a dismembered corpse can't be very productive.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Todd

Quote from: Szykneij on January 02, 2012, 11:25:06 AM...and garnishing the wages of a dismembered corpse can't be very productive.

You're a 'glass half-empty' kind of person, aren't you?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vandermolen

Father in Wales throws out Christmas gifts, including tickets for London Olympics and cash, with wrapping paper which he takes to rubbish dump. Only realises what he has done after dump has closed. Cardiff Police refuse to let him jump over wall to retrieve items. But Cardiff Council arranges for guard to let him in. He emerges triumphant after rummaging in dump for fifteen minutes. Nice photo in paper of his wife and daughter trying to strangle him.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Lethevich

Quote from: vandermolen on January 04, 2012, 10:22:25 AM
Father in Wales throws out Christmas gifts, including tickets for London Olympics and cash, with wrapping paper which he takes to rubbish dump. Only realises what he has done after dump has closed. Cardiff Police refuse to let him jump over wall to retrieve items. But Cardiff Council arranges for guard to let him in. He emerges triumphant after rummaging in dump for fifteen minutes. Nice photo in paper of his wife and daughter trying to strangle him.

I began reading this as though it were a regular and deliberate occurance ;D