The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geo Dude

Rick Perry just announced that he won't be making another (likely successful) run for governor of Texas.

Good riddance!

Karl Henning

If such a run would likely succeed . . . one wonders why he's giving it over.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Parsifal

Quote from: karlhenning on July 08, 2013, 10:22:41 AM

Needs to spend more time memorizing the list of cabinet departments he would abolish as President.

Geo Dude

Quote from: karlhenning on July 08, 2013, 10:22:41 AM

Perhaps after a 12 year empire he's bored?  He may be thinking of another presidential run...he seems to lack the self-awareness required to realize what a disaster that would be.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 08, 2013, 07:09:04 PM
Perhaps after a 12 year empire he's bored?  He may be thinking of another presidential run...he seems to lack the self-awareness required to realize what a disaster that would be.

That would certainly be considered a plus for the Democratic Party.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Quote from: karlhenning on July 09, 2013, 05:13:19 AMThat would certainly be considered a plus for the Democratic Party.

First he would need to win the nomination.  Not saying it couldn't happen, but he couldn't beat the field of B, C, and D-list talent last time out. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 08, 2013, 10:18:47 AM
Rick Perry just announced that he won't be making another (likely successful) run for governor of Texas.

Good riddance!
Unfortunately, we're now stuck with Greg Abbott, unless Wendy Davis can convince all the old fuddy-duddies not to vote.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Todd on July 09, 2013, 06:24:53 AM
First he would need to win the nomination.  Not saying it couldn't happen, but he couldn't beat the field of B, C, and D-list talent last time out. 

A good point, but if he's a player for long in the primaries, a plus for the Democratic Party, as it was last year. There are factions in the G.O.P. which it is in the party's own interests to put a lid on, and put it on tight.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Geo Dude

Quote from: karlhenning on July 09, 2013, 06:59:52 AM
There are factions in the G.O.P. which it is in the party's own interests to put a lid on, and put it on tight.

It's hard to argue with that.

Quote from: sanantonio on July 09, 2013, 07:08:16 AM
I haven't lived in Texas for a while and so have no basis for comparison.  What was it about his term(s) in office that you found unsatisfactory?

The battle he's waged on women's rights, LGBT rights and education immediately come to mind--specifically, in regards to education, trying to shove creationism into science classes and (bad) right wing revisionism into history classes--are all issues.  I'm also not fond of his "Let's make Texas a great state for business by cutting away as many water and air quality regulations as possible" attitude.  Or trying to literally make the state into a (nuclear) dumping ground for the rest of the country.  And his shilling for toll road companies.  And...Christ, I lean more libertarian (occasionally conservative) than left for the most part, and the guy still drives me nuts.  The list could go on.

Let's not worry too much, though, Governor Goodhair's legacy will no doubt be revised in Texas history books to make him the best governor the state ever had if the current abuse of textbooks that he's helped start continues.

Karl Henning

Governor Goodhair . . . you brought me back to Romney's tenure here in The Bay State with that 'un . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Geo Dude

Quote from: karlhenning on July 09, 2013, 09:23:41 AM
Governor Goodhair . . . you brought me back to Romney's tenure here in The Bay State with that 'un . . . .

Well, he always did have well coiffed hair on the campaign trail. ;D

Brian

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 09, 2013, 09:21:14 AMspecifically, in regards to education, trying to shove creationism into science classes and (bad) right wing revisionism into history classes--
You missed his efforts to control public universities' curricula.

And also, a few weeks ago Rick Perry vetoed a bill by mistake. Oops!

Todd

Quote from: Brian on July 09, 2013, 09:36:56 AMAnd also, a few weeks ago Rick Perry vetoed a bill by mistake.

"It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones."  Calvin Coolidge

Let's give the man with the mane the benefit of the doubt, here; he was trying to kill bad legislation.

Todd

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

QuoteWeight-related diabetes claims the most Mexican lives each year, with nearly one of every six Mexican adults suffering from the disease. Heart and related ailments round out the list of the country's top killers.

Diabetes alone kills as many as 70,000 people a year in Mexico . . . .

(* sigh *) That's what claimed my dad, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Parsifal

The latest is that the summer concerts have been canceled and meetings to decide on whether to have more meetings seem to have broken down.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/11/as-labor-dispute-drags-on-minnesota-orchestra-cancels-summer-concerts/?src=twrhp

Maybe this is the end of the Minnesota Orchestra.

Parsifal

Quote from: sanantonio on July 11, 2013, 08:13:51 AM
Sad for Minnesotans, I really hope it is just a bump in the road.  Here in Nashville the Symphony was on the verge of bankruptcy before being saved by a long time donor literally hours before the deadline.  Hopefully, they can get their financial house in order; it is a good group with imaginative programming.

Remember the phrase "corporate citizenship?"  When corporations had a geographic identity it was important.  Now that the economy is increasingly dominated by multinational corporations I suspect the concept has become obsolete.  I suspect Minnesota donors are already tapped out by a renovation of the concert hall a few years ago which gave the orchestra a hall with a state-of-the-art lobby and amenities.  Too bad there's no orchestra there anymore.  :(

http://www.minnesotaorchestra.org/give-a-volunteer/building-for-the-future/construction/about-the-renovated-orchestra-hall

North Star

This is terrible to hear. Will be interesting to see where's Vänskä's new post.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Parsifal

Quote from: North Star on July 11, 2013, 09:42:18 AM
This is terrible to hear. Will be interesting to see where's Vänskä's new post.

Vanska has threatened to resign if the situation is not resolved in time for a scheduled Carnegie Hall Concert and/or recording session.  At the moment, he's keeping his options open.