The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: Scarpia on July 11, 2013, 01:50:18 PM
Vanska has threatened to resign if the situation is not resolved in time for a scheduled Carnegie Hall Concert and/or recording session.  At the moment, he's keeping his options open.
It's a shame if he won't be able to finish the Sibelius cycle.

On the subject of unimportant news: it is now one o'clock in the morning here, and some jerk (or two) are working with a nail gun and compressor. Might not bother others, but I'm listening to Webern.  >:(
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Parsifal

Quote from: North Star on July 11, 2013, 02:07:14 PM
It's a shame if he won't be able to finish the Sibelius cycle.

On the subject of unimportant news: it is now one o'clock in the morning here, and some jerk (or two) are working with a nail gun and compressor. Might not bother others, but I'm listening to Webern.  >:(

Well, he's already lost close to a year of his professional life.  I'm not sure why he would want to wait any longer.

North Star

Quote from: Scarpia on July 11, 2013, 02:17:20 PM
Well, he's already lost close to a year of his professional life.  I'm not sure why he would want to wait any longer.
Indeed.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Todd

Hopefully, Senator Wyden is correct, though this strikes me as a first step only, and then only if it actually happens.  I'd wager on it, but the problem is that we will probably never know, especially if Obama and his crew keep squeezing the press. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

Karl Henning

Possibly stemming from the era of the nearly banned super-size soft drinks . . . an mp3 album where Amazon has the unfortunate typo Symphonie Fat-astique
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Geo Dude

Quote from: karlhenning on July 15, 2013, 11:42:49 AM
Possibly stemming from the era of the nearly banned super-size soft drinks . . . an mp3 album where Amazon has the unfortunate typo Symphonie Fat-astique

Hah!

You know, Bloomberg has a lot of money and NYC is certainly a classical loving city...perhaps you could get him to commission a sequel and have your big commercial break. ;)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Geo Dude

Todd

Parsifal

The city of Detroit, once the forth most populous city in the US, has filed for bankruptcy

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/19/us/detroit-files-for-bankruptcy.html

The Detroit Symphony is still operating (they still have electricity, apparently). 

Karl Henning

It will be the ultimate insult if they have to shoot RoboCop III in Akron . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Geo Dude

Massive prison break in Abu Ghraib.  Mind you, this qualifies as unimportant because the Royal Baby matters more. :P

(I've got nothing against the baby or the parents, I just think it's ridiculous that it gets more news coverage than something like that.)

Todd

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 23, 2013, 06:22:05 AMMassive prison break in Abu Ghraib

I'd hate to be the keeper of disposition matrix this morning.  A case of the Mondays - on a Tuesday!

Geo Dude

Geo Dude

Brian

I love how originally this thread was about unimportant news but at some point the title became sarcastic and now it's about major news stories.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Brian on July 27, 2013, 09:35:40 AM
I love how originally this thread was about unimportant news but at some point the title became sarcastic and now it's about major news stories.

To be fair, we do get some unimportant news here.  For example, this one has shades of the polygamy debate in it.