Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ibanezmonster

QuoteTAVARES, Fla. -
Injuries have been reported after an apparent large scale explosion and fire that happened at a Blue Rhino propane facility on County Road 448 just south of Lake Eustis late Monday night, according to Lake County EMS officials.
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/major-explosion-fire-at-propane-facility-in-tavares/-/1637132/21239266/-/xjbrv6z/-/index.html

So I guess this is what I've been hearing for the last two hours... continuing explosions.

Quote"It sounds like bombs are going off," Norma Haygood said.

Locals from miles away said they heard and felt the explosions.
Exactly.

http://www.wesh.com/news/central-florida/locals-report-seeing-explosions-in-tavares-area/-/11788162/21238754/-/2fkube/-/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/v/3XiwxRxrJdQ

Gurn Blanston

Actually, I thought this was rather more important to some of us than to others!

Stolen Strad finally found - British Transport Police said Tuesday they found a stolen 300-year-old Stradivarius violin worth more than $1 million, along with two bows valued at more than $105,000.

Police released few details about how they found the items that were stolen in late 2010 near a London train station. They were found at a house in central England.

The violin was recovered intact with some very minor damage, they said.

"We're delighted to have recovered the violin after a long and very complex investigation," said Detective Chief Inspector Simon Taylor, who led the hunt.

He said members of other police forces, an insurance company, and antique dealers helped with the investigation.

Two teenagers were arrested and sentenced in 2011 in connection with the theft of the 1696 Stradivarius.

The violin's owner, acclaimed violinist Min Jin Kym, noticed her case containing the violin and bows was missing and called police.

She said she thought about the theft every day, even in her dreams, and was elated to learn it was found.

Stradivarius violins were made by the world's most celebrated violin maker, Antonio Stradivari, in the 1600s.

It is thought that from 1666, the Cremona, Italy-born Stradivari made 1,116 instruments, of which more than 600 are still in existence, including violas, cellos, mandolins and guitars.

During the 18th century, his unrivaled reputation extended throughout Europe where his instruments were coveted by royalty, aristocracy, church dignitaries and top musicians because of the extraordinary sound they were capable of producing.

Stradivari made his last violin in 1737 when he was 92.
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Thank you, Gurn. I had seen the headline, but hadn't looked into the story yet.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Sergeant Rock

Lindsay Lohan leaves rehab:

http://www.wwtdd.com/2013/07/lindsay-lohan-leaves-rehab/

"Statistically speaking, there's only a hundred percent chance that Lindsay will start using again."
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 01, 2013, 08:00:26 AM
Lindsay Lohan leaves rehab:

http://www.wwtdd.com/2013/07/lindsay-lohan-leaves-rehab/

"Statistically speaking, there's only a hundred percent chance that Lindsay will start using again."

But she has her Sobriety Coach now.... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Greg on August 01, 2013, 09:47:17 AM
Interesting...

And seeing as I'm approaching 50 I think I'd better avoid those parts of the world. :D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Todd

I thought Russia was our ally. 

Truth be told, what I like most is the headline: Defiant Russia Grants Snowden Year's Asylum.  The implication seems to be that all sovereign nations should agree to demands from Emperor Obama.

Parsifal

The thing that struck me about that story is that Snowden's "lawyer" held up his passport and displayed his Russian visa for the press to photograph.  Now we have lots of interesting tidbits about Snowden, such as date of birth, passport number, etc.  Even his fingerprint is clearly visible.  That can't be good.

Todd

Another venerable paper now in the clutches of an evil billionaire!

(When I saw the headline, I was happy, because I thought my Amazon Prime account might afford me unlimited access to the WAPO site, but no, it looks like this is possibly Bezos' personal plaything.)

modUltralaser

Oprah is blowing it. Pulls the race card purchasing a 38,000 bag and is now found to be pro-circumcision.

Todd

I am shocked, shocked to learn that secret orders by secret courts were secretly ignored. 

How I love this sentence: The government was made aware of The Post's intention to publish the documents that accompany this article online.  Go get 'em, Tiger!

Parsifal

I read that Don Harmon is returning as showrunner in Community Season 5 (after being fired before season 4).

Todd

Some of the better aspects of ACA are starting to materialize.  Oddly, this doesn't square with what the Prez said in 2009 in New Jersey:

First of all, if you've got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan.  Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.

Now, of course, many American Lefties/Progressives/Democrats will say that this is purely because of big, bad greedy companies wanting to pinch pennies, or what not, but it seems to me the Prez fibbed and his supporters like being fibbed to. 

Todd