The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: Todd on March 24, 2014, 06:15:57 PM

, but I wonder why Obama doesn't just order an end to bulk collection. 

cause him n Bush work for the same team?... ultimately

yea, gee, why doesn't O have the "most transparent"... bla bla bla... come on Todd, what would occam's razor tell you?

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Szykneij on April 13, 2014, 06:30:11 AM
Classical musicians suffer more hearing loss than heavy metal musicians.

http://www.cnet.com/news/shocker-the-most-deaf-musicians-arent-rockers/

I know I should be surprised, but somehow I'm not. Many rockers are actually aware of this phenomenon now, and several big names preach about it all the time, starting with Ted Nugent back in the early '80's (when he was a 'big name'). I've never seen similar preaching for classical musicians, or even for listeners. I have personally posted about it in earphone threads here but generally been ignored. Since hearing protection is part of my profession, and I am significantly deaf from hearing loss caused by loud music, I feel like I have a dog in this fight...  :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Szykneij

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 13, 2014, 07:15:36 AM
I know I should be surprised, but somehow I'm not. Many rockers are actually aware of this phenomenon now, and several big names preach about it all the time, starting with Ted Nugent back in the early '80's (when he was a 'big name'). I've never seen similar preaching for classical musicians, or even for listeners. I have personally posted about it in earphone threads here but generally been ignored. Since hearing protection is part of my profession, and I am significantly deaf from hearing loss caused by loud music, I feel like I have a dog in this fight...  :-\

8)

Those sitting directly in front of the brass section are particularly vulnerable.

Playing double-bass in orchestras, I was always in a relatively safe zone in the back and to the side, but when I played bass guitar in a Top 40 band, the guitarist to my right often got screamingly loud (I think he was probably suffering from hearing loss himself).

Back then, wearing earplugs on stage wasn't commonly done, but to save myself a headache, I used to stuff a piece of napkin in my right ear. The improvised earplug wasn't visible thanks to my stylish 80's rock band haircut, and I think it may have prevented some serious hearing damage.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Todd

Quote from: Szykneij on April 13, 2014, 12:55:29 PMThose sitting directly in front of the brass section are particularly vulnerable.

A while back, the Oregon Symphony started using upward angled plexiglass shields in front of the brass players to help protect the musicians in front of them.  I'm pretty sure a few other orchestras have done the same, though I would have thought all professional US orchestras would have done so by now given the potential legal liability.  I'm not sure how many orchestras the world over use these devices, or mandate, or at least encourage, the use of hearing protection as well, but it would seem a prudent move on everyone's part.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

For American readers: Assuming words matter, the scariest sentence published by a respectable news outlet this week was "Protecting patients from financial ruin is fundamental to the precept of 'do no harm'".  (The sentence is itself a quote from a respectable journal.)

Thankfully, the same article has this rather more palatable sentence: "There should be forces in society who should be concerned about the budget, about how many M.R.I.s we do, but they shouldn't be functioning simultaneously as doctors".

Karl Henning

Now, I do not know if the fellow in question is an actual art expert (how much expertise do you need, for People magazine to elect you an expert?) . . . but the headline reads: An Art Expert Reviews George W. Bush's Paintings
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Quote from: karlhenning on April 21, 2014, 10:55:34 AMhow much expertise do you need, for People magazine to elect you an expert

He needed to be able to spell arte.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Todd

John Belushi once said chicks ain't funny; he was wrong.

Moonfish

Hmm, there was a write-up on this ethical problem in the paper this week (with a linguistic twist). Regardless, what would you do in this situation?

"A trolley is hurtling down a track towards five people. You are on a bridge under which it will pass, and you can stop it by dropping a heavy weight in front of it. As it happens, there is a very fat man next to you – your only way to stop the trolley is to push him over the bridge and onto the track, killing him to save five. What will you do?"
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Todd on May 18, 2014, 10:03:34 AM
Kind of messed up logic in this article...

amw

Quote from: Todd on May 18, 2014, 10:03:34 AM

I don't think "funny" is a term I'd use to describe someone who attempts to justify child abuse...

ibanezmonster

Quote from: amw on May 18, 2014, 03:37:07 PM
I don't think "funny" is a term I'd use to describe someone who attempts to justify child abuse...
She's defending women that sleep with underage boys and women that hit guys?... I really hope this is a tiny fraction of extremist feminist thought.  :-\

Todd

Quote from: amw on May 18, 2014, 03:37:07 PMI don't think "funny" is a term I'd use to describe someone who attempts to justify child abuse...

Looks like you need to invest in an irony detector.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Todd on May 18, 2014, 04:37:22 PM

I guess there's something amusing (albeit sad at the same time) about the writer's logic.  ;D

amw

Quote from: Greg on May 18, 2014, 04:07:25 PM
She's defending women that sleep with underage boys and women that hit guys?... I really hope this is a tiny fraction of extremist feminist thought.  :-\

"Feminist" is also not a word I would use to describe someone whose belief system is based on old-fashioned sexist notions (women = weak but enlightened, men = strong but brutish). Just because a woman says it does not make it feminist.

Quote from: Todd on May 18, 2014, 04:37:22 PM

I got a cheap one that can only tolerate a certain level of fucked-up-ness, anything above a Severely Fucked Up and it stops registering.

Todd

Quote from: amw on May 18, 2014, 06:17:28 PMI got a cheap one that can only tolerate a certain level of fucked-up-ness, anything above a Severely Fucked Up and it stops registering.

Well, then, now's a perfect time to upgrade.  A lot of things may slip by you otherwise, both on this forum and in the world at large.