The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Moonfish on May 18, 2014, 03:05:11 PMHmm, there was a write-up on this ethical problem in the paper this week (with a linguistic twist). Regardless, what would you do in this situation?

"A trolley is hurtling down a track towards five people. You are on a bridge under which it will pass, and you can stop it by dropping a heavy weight in front of it. As it happens, there is a very fat man next to you – your only way to stop the trolley is to push him over the bridge and onto the track, killing him to save five. What will you do?"

Whatever action has the lowest probability of legal consequences for me, so nothing.  Same would apply to the pulling the lever question.

It is my understanding that the average age of the respondents in the survey cited was 21, meaning that a lot of college kids were probably surveyed.  College kids are also used a lot as test subjects at US universities.  I question the moral wisdom of college kids.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Ken B

Quote from: Todd on May 18, 2014, 06:57:03 PM

Whatever action has the lowest probability of legal consequences for me, so nothing.  Same would apply to the pulling the lever question.

It is my understanding that the average age of the respondents in the survey cited was 21, meaning that a lot of college kids were probably surveyed.  College kids are also used a lot as test subjects at US universities.  I question the moral wisdom of college kids.

All this survey science is pretty much worthless.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philo on May 24, 2014, 01:12:54 AM
Serial, chronic rapist released. Pot brownie maker faces life. Justice, the Amerikan way.
'Murrca!

ibanezmonster

http://abcnews.go.com/US/santa-barbara-death-toll-now-stabbing-victims-home/story?id=23853918

9 People now dead from this drive-by shooting. The guy aimed to kill girl because he was frustrated that he was a 22-year old virgin and therefore wasn't accepted by the popular kids. He was confused why girls didn't like him because he though his looks and his BMW would be enough.

My thoughts are... really? 22? I can't even feel sorry about that at all...

Although this guy was obviously a narcissistic psychopath, the real problem that triggered him to do this is the culture. The thing about college/party culture (which is closely related to this "rape culture," whether it exists or not), is that, first, I'm glad I'm not a part of it, and second, it puts waaaaay too much pressure on men to have sex. This culture defines the value of a man's very existence and social acceptance to be based on how much sex he gets. I'm guessing that what might typically happen is that a man forces or tricks a girl into sex more often because of this pressure applied by other guys of this type of college culture.

A better for college campuses to hear, rather than the anti-rape messages, would be messages that convey that it is okay for men to not have sex and that doesn't make them any less of a man. However, that would laughed at by men and women alike because of our messed up, somewhat barbarian culture. Think of "The 40-year old virgin," a movie that makes people laugh with just the title alone. It probably wouldn't have quite the same effect in some east Asian countries, though, which probably have very little of that party culture at all. I believe it was 30% of Japanese aged 30 have never had a romantic relationship at all. And likewise, rape is only a fraction of a problem as it is here.

ibanezmonster

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/japan-creates-new-national-holiday-for--overworked--population-214042766.html

Japan creates new national holiday for 'overworked' population. Yet another. And they probably won't even take it.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philo on May 24, 2014, 08:34:53 PM
Is this post serious?
I know you won't engage in discussion, but what do you disagree with?

ibanezmonster

You know, quoting my whole post and then disagreeing with it makes you sound like you're sympathetic to the murderer and think that it's more women's fault that led him to that state of mind.

Todd

Quote from: Greg on May 25, 2014, 05:45:24 AMYou know, quoting my whole post and then disagreeing with it makes you sound like you're sympathetic to the murderer and think that it's more women's fault that led him to that state of mind.

No, it doesn't. 

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Todd on May 25, 2014, 05:59:57 AM

No, it doesn't.
Yes, it does. That would be the opposite of what I said.

Todd

Quote from: Greg on May 25, 2014, 06:48:30 AM
Yes, it does. That would be the opposite of what I said.

You have a distorted, ignorant view of the world, and of women, as your long posting history indicates.  Your lengthy post on the shooting was drivel.  Hopefully, this clears things up for you.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Todd on May 25, 2014, 06:58:15 AM
You have a distorted, ignorant view of the world, and of women, as your long posting history indicates.  Your lengthy post on the shooting was drivel.  Hopefully, this clears things up for you.
You obviously didn't even read my post. So you disagree with my assertion that the shooter should not feel pitied and that he was an entitled narcissist and that the social pressures that made him feel that way came from the culture of men rather than the culture of women? I feel bad for you, then.

Todd

Quote from: Greg on May 25, 2014, 07:03:52 AM
You obviously didn't even read my post. So you disagree with my assertion that the shooter should not feel pitied and that he was an entitled narcissist and that the social pressures that made him feel that way came from the culture of men rather than the culture of women? I feel bad for you, then.

I guess my post didn't clear things up for you.  I can't say that I'm surprised.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Todd on May 25, 2014, 07:04:50 AM

I guess my post didn't clear things up for you.  I can't say that I'm surprised.
I guess you don't want to answer the question. So just don't say anything, then.

Todd

Todd

Quote from: Philo on May 26, 2014, 06:29:23 AM
My favorite part of that article are all the non-quote quotes.

Truth to tell, mine was the link to BBC Culture where the ongoing allure of the miniskirt is investigated with great journalistic integrity.

But back to the elections: perhaps there is a Danish forum member who can explain why I'm so creeped out by Morten Messerschmidt.

Moonfish

Quote from: Philo on May 26, 2014, 11:33:07 AM
Might as well have been...

Why is he so happy? And more to the point why is that woman so happy?!

Hypothesis: They were selected to star in the next Doctor Who episode?   :laugh:
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Todd

knight66

Whoops Apocolipse perhaps for the guy.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.