The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 19, 2014, 02:03:17 PM
Don't forget China.
But then who would make our iPods and other electronics if we can't have Chinese slave kids?  ???

Maybe we could split the world in two-
Good world: Western Europe, Scandanavia, US, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Taiwan?
Bad world: Africa, Middle East, Asia/Russia, South America

We can completely ignore each other until the Bad World either blows each other up or proven they've changed their ways. Of course, this is a pipe dream since there are so many innocent people suffering in these countries.

Ken B

Quote from: Greg on July 19, 2014, 02:18:27 PM
But then who would make our iPods and other electronics if we can't have Chinese slave kids?  ???

Maybe we could split the world in two-
Good world: Western Europe, Scandanavia, US, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Taiwan?
Bad world: Africa, Middle East, Asia/Russia, South America

We can completely ignore each other until the Bad World either blows each other up or proven they've changed their ways. Of course, this is a pipe dream since there are so many innocent people suffering in these countries.
Hold on a second there, with South Korea.

>:D

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Ken B on July 19, 2014, 07:09:50 PM
Hold on a second there, with South Korea.

>:D
Whatcha got against the South Koreans?  :'(

oh, forgot to add North Korea to the Bad World. If I were North Korean, I'd be praying to Kim Jong Un or whoever that another country bombs me to oblivion, as long as it close enough to incinerate me instantly.  >:D

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Ken B on July 19, 2014, 07:21:58 PM
I noted the nature of leftist idiots and their threat to due process.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/home-news/police-to-doorstep-sex-crime-suspects.24799887
Not sure how that is a political issue, but it's definitely something that would be abused. I heard one of my closest friends once mentioning that when he tried breaking up with a girl (she was being too clingy or something), she got mad and told everyone he tried to rape her. No one believed her; considering something like that would be ridiculously out of character for him, it would be hard to believe. So it would be sad if someone who wanted revenge could tell the police and get him in trouble anyways.

I don't think Europe is going to help its declining populations with such rules...

Ken B

Quote from: Greg on July 19, 2014, 07:49:53 PM
Not sure how that is a political issue, but it's definitely something that would be abused. I heard one of my closest friends once mentioning that when he tried breaking up with a girl (she was being too clingy or something), she got mad and told everyone he tried to rape her. No one believed her; considering something like that would be ridiculously out of character for him, it would be hard to believe. So it would be sad if someone who wanted revenge could tell the police and get him in trouble anyways.

I don't think Europe is going to help its declining populations with such rules...
Many universities are trying to change standards of proof. I hope he is not at one.
Just before I left school there was a huge witch hunt about some engineering students. The woman eventually admitted she lied. The president of the student union said she should not have recanted, because it just feeds the "myth" that some accusations are false.
:blank:

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Ken B on July 19, 2014, 08:05:55 PM
Many universities are trying to change standards of proof. I hope he is not at one.
Just before I left school there was a huge witch hunt about some engineering students. The woman eventually admitted she lied. The president of the student union said she should not have recanted, because it just feeds the "myth" that some accusations are false.
:blank:
Lol! Talk about evil... My friend isn't in university and I have no classes on campus, so guess I'm safe. Also, having a passive and polite nature may help. No surprise people sided with my friend, and I doubt anyone would believe I tried to rape someone.  :P

Ken B

Quote from: Greg on July 19, 2014, 08:24:58 PM
Lol! Talk about evil... My friend isn't in university and I have no classes on campus, so guess I'm safe. Also, having a passive and polite nature may help. No surprise people sided with my friend, and I doubt anyone would believe I tried to rape someone.  :P
Google Kira Cochrane, Andrea Dworkin, Marilyn French. They think you already did.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Ken B on July 20, 2014, 06:16:30 AM
Google Kira Cochrane, Andrea Dworkin, Marilyn French. They think you already did.
I'll just take your word for it. No one in the world is exempt by being passionately hated by someone they've never even heard of.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Ken B

Quote from: Greg on July 20, 2014, 05:45:02 PM
No surprise. Yet a lot of people might be surprised for some reason.
Last year I stopped hitting my skull with a hammer and my headaches went away. Can't be related though, headaches are caused by witches.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Greg on July 20, 2014, 05:45:02 PM
No surprise. Yet a lot of people might be surprised for some reason.

Quote from: Melissa FarleyIn rape cultures, the sexual terrorism of rape and prostitution are downplayed, underestimated, or denied. A prostituted woman explained, "What rape is to others, is normal to us." Prostitution is a cornerstone of rape culture.  Rape cultures normalize the objectification and commodification of women as sex and blame victims for their own victimization. The global finding that women aged 15-44 are more likely to be injured or killed by male violence than from cancer, malaria, traffic accidents and war combined – only makes sense when understood as a result of cultural acceptance of sexual violence. Prostitution is a commodified form of violence against women, a last-ditch survival option rather than a job choice. The lies that prostitution is a victimless crime, that she chose it, or even that prostitution isn't really happening at all –enable people to avoid the discomfort of knowing about the brutal realities of prostitution. And sex businesses rely on social, political and legal denial of denying the harms of prostitution.

From another point of view, the incidence of rape may well remain the same, only the rape is a legalized transaction rather than a criminal offense.  The woman still endures the degradation and psychological harm, but -- it's not a crime!  So the john is not a criminal, and his activity is business-as-usual rather than the occasion of a police report.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Quote from: Melissa FarleyIn rape cultures, the sexual terrorism of rape and prostitution are downplayed, underestimated, or denied...

I'm no big fan of prostitution, and I have doubts about the wisdom of legalizing it, but Ms Farley's use of the word "terrorism" is ridiculous and undermines what she writes.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ibanezmonster

Quote from: karlhenning on July 21, 2014, 09:46:37 AM
From another point of view, the incidence of rape may well remain the same, only the rape is a legalized transaction rather than a criminal offense.  The woman still endures the degradation and psychological harm, but -- it's not a crime!  So the john is not a criminal, and his activity is business-as-usual rather than the occasion of a police report.
Well, if the prostitute is being forced to prostitute, then that would definitely be a rape. For someone who chooses to make money off of sex, then I don't see how you can say there is a rape involved if they are willing. Of course, it may involve degradation and psychological harm, but so do most jobs out there (not to mention many jobs involve greater risk of physical harm). The only argument I can understand against prostitution would be from a religious perspective, but then again, there's supposed to be a separation between the church and the state...

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on July 21, 2014, 09:46:37 AM
What word is missing from that analysis? Could it be 'consent'?

Todd

Quote from: Greg on July 21, 2014, 10:14:39 AMFor someone who chooses to make money off of sex, then I don't see how you can say there is a rape involved if they are willing.

Let's say a woman who is a prostitute by choice encounters a violent client who forces her to do something she doesn't want to do - would that qualify as rape?  It's not hard to imagine something that happens frequently.

Quote from: Greg on July 21, 2014, 10:14:39 AMOf course, it may involve degradation and psychological harm, but so do most jobs out there (not to mention many jobs involve greater risk of physical harm).

This is one of the dumbest things you've ever written.