The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammy

This has got to be the most funny and nutty few pages of postings I've ever read on GMG.  All I have to say is that with young men like Greg and Henk on the scene, the future is in good hands. ;D

Todd

Quote from: Ken B on July 21, 2014, 02:14:56 PMIt is not.

But it is. 

It is also decidedly disingenuous when you defend it in the manner you do.  It actually appears that you are answering a different post, because I already addressed the degradation part in the one you quoted.  Perhaps you really do think that prostitution is not degrading, and that some/many/most/all (choose your preference) prostitutes don't find their profession degrading, but that doesn't seem to square with the reality public health and public safety professionals deal with.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Henk

Quote from: Sammy on July 21, 2014, 02:20:29 PM
This has got to be the most funny and nutty few pages of postings I've ever read on GMG.  All I have to say is that with young men like Greg and Henk on the scene, the future is in good hands. ;D

Yeah, we raise the old instead of the other way around. :laugh:

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Todd on July 21, 2014, 02:23:35 PM
Perhaps you really do think that prostitution is not degrading, and that some/many/most/all (choose your preference) prostitutes don't find their profession degrading, but that doesn't seem to square with the reality public health and public safety professionals deal with.
Mail us stacks of papers of government documents so we can spend hours to critique and debate the fine points of these documents and their "studies." We need statistics. Charts and stuff. NOW!  >:D

Sammy

Quote from: Greg on July 21, 2014, 02:18:39 PM
So THAT is how you get out of a debate. I oughta try it sometime.  :)

Greg, there really hasn't been anything to debate.  However, I did get a big laugh from your comment that dishwashing is more degrading than prostitution.  Perhaps you could find a few dishwashing prostitutes to get the scoop on this matter.

Ken B

Quote from: Todd on July 21, 2014, 02:23:35 PM

But it is. 

It is also decidedly disingenuous when you defend it in the manner you do.  It actually appears that you are answering a different post, because I already addressed the degradation part in the one you quoted.  Perhaps you really do think that prostitution is not degrading, and that some/many/most/all (choose your preference) prostitutes don't find their profession degrading, but that doesn't seem to square with the reality public health and public safety professionals deal with.

I predicted in a PM you'd wheel out the character attacks next.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Sammy on July 21, 2014, 02:27:47 PM
Greg, there really hasn't been anything to debate.  However, I did get a big laugh from your comment that dishwashing is more degrading than prostitution.  Perhaps you could find a few dishwashing prostitutes to get the scoop on this matter.
Of course there may be some that do both.
What about the ones that choose to be prostitutes rather than dishwashers?

Todd

Quote from: Greg on July 21, 2014, 02:27:13 PMMail us stacks of papers of government documents so we can spend hours to critique and debate the fine points of these documents and their "studies." We need statistics.

A lot is online.  A helpful hint: don't rely on Forbes.

Todd

Quote from: Ken B on July 21, 2014, 02:30:15 PMI predicted in a PM you'd wheel out the character attacks next.

Ah, yes, you've got a secret.  Good for you.

Ken B

Quote from: Sammy on July 21, 2014, 02:20:29 PM

I suspect you are being ironic, but I like their tolerance and willingness to respect the choices of others. They are a lot more advanced that way than my age cohort was at the same age.

ibanezmonster

Oh, btw, as for the dishwashing prostitutes, there is something called a second job. I've known ladies that work two jobs. Men that work two jobs. No one is forcing you to be a prostitute if you need supplemental income.

Ken B

Quote from: Todd on July 21, 2014, 02:31:27 PM

Ah, yes, you've got a secret.  Good for you.

Not a secret Todd. I understand ad hominem is a fallacy, that's all.

Todd

Quote from: Ken B on July 21, 2014, 02:36:33 PMNot a secret Todd. I understand ad hominem is a fallacy, that's all.

I guess if you were being completely honest in your defense of what you term choice, and what you praise as judgment, well, then, that actually provides me with more useful information.  I retract my assertion that your were being disingenuous.  I do not retract my assertion that Greg's question was profoundly stupid.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Todd on July 21, 2014, 02:46:29 PM
I do not retract my assertion that Greg's question was profoundly stupid.
The one where I'm asking you to define what you think is specifically degrading about prostitution?

Quote from: Ken B on July 21, 2014, 02:46:15 PM
Kiwi http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010/09/29/legalized_brothels_fantastic_for_new_zealand_prostitutes_say.html
Safety bonus there.

Henk

Quote from: Greg on July 21, 2014, 02:50:22 PM
The one where I'm asking you to define what you think is specifically degrading about prostitution?

A prostitute spoils her intimicy, but doesn't care about that much.

ibanezmonster

The only reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to follow the logic of labeling all prostitution as "degrading."

But more specifically, how someone who is willingly being a prostitute doing something that is degrading.

Todd

Quote from: Ken B on July 21, 2014, 02:46:15 PM
Kiwi http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010/09/29/legalized_brothels_fantastic_for_new_zealand_prostitutes_say.html

The best takeaway from this, at least for me, is this little bit of useful information:

Street prostitutes, who account for about 11 per cent of those in the industry, generally haven't moved indoors, but prostitutes are now more likely to report violence.

"They can pick up the phone and talk to police. That is enormously important," Healey said in an interview.

Improving safety is a laudable achievement and goal.  I'm not sure that has much bearing on the wisdom of pursing the profession.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Todd on July 21, 2014, 02:57:25 PM
I'm not sure that has much bearing on the wisdom of pursing the profession.
And working on top of building may not be the wisest choice of profession, either. So?

Henk

Quote from: Todd on July 21, 2014, 02:57:25 PM

The best takeaway from this, at least for me, is this little bit of useful information:

Street prostitutes, who account for about 11 per cent of those in the industry, generally haven't moved indoors, but prostitutes are now more likely to report violence.

"They can pick up the phone and talk to police. That is enormously important," Healey said in an interview.

Improving safety is a laudable achievement and goal.  I'm not sure that has much bearing on the wisdom of pursing the profession.

That's the situation in illegal prositution I bet, in highly degraded parts of cities with lots of crime.