The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Henk on July 23, 2014, 11:18:40 AM
Are you by the way Romanian from descent? Just curious.

I am Romanian through and through. Born, raised and happily married with child in Romania.  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on July 23, 2014, 10:50:01 AM
Never. I was never confirmed as an Anglican (that's Episcopalian to you Americans).

That's Schismatics, or even Heretics, to us Orthodox Christians.  ;D ;D ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: Greg on July 23, 2014, 10:42:32 AM
That's not exactly how you get statistics.

So what you are saying is that you have not collected statistics which support your thesis from conversations with actual women.  I should think you would take an interest in what actual people think about the high-flown theory.  My question stands:  How many women have you discussed this with?  Have the discussions taken place in person?

To recapitulate:  we are talking about prostitution, which is the practice of a man who, perhaps on this solitary occasion, but in many cases chronically, cannot be bothered with maintaining an actual relationship with a woman, paying a woman for the "unentangled" use of her body;  a practice which traditionally and in a great majority of cultures is considered shameful (and one wants to consider the reasons for that).  And you are posing these naive arguments for making that "doll, take your clothes off, I cannot be bothered with your mind or your feelings" activity a legal institution.

You're telling me you have no interest in what actual women think of your proposal?

Oh, I forget!  Your idea is that the woman's intelligence and thoughts are of no consequence!

Hence my remark:  This discussion is bound to make more women want to take part at GMG.

Ken, we are free to do a great deal.  Only a subset of that great deal is it wise to do.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

EigenUser

Quote from: Florestan on July 23, 2014, 10:05:17 AM
Romanians have a saying for that kind of attitude: I'll pack up my toys and leave the game;D
Would that game happen to be "Joc cu Bata" (Bartok)? ;D

Out of curiosity, have you ever seen the "Infinite Column" by Brancusi? I think it is in Bucharest.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Florestan

Quote from: EigenUser on July 24, 2014, 03:29:05 AM
Would that game happen to be "Joc cu Bata" (Bartok)? ;D

:D

Out of curiosity, have you ever seen the "Infinite Column" by Brancusi? I think it is in Bucharest.

I've seen it twice. It is not in Bucharest but in Târgu Jiu

EigenUser

Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Florestan

ibanezmonster

Quote from: karlhenning on July 24, 2014, 02:23:34 AM
So what you are saying is that you have not collected statistics which support your thesis from conversations with actual women.  I should think you would take an interest in what actual people think about the high-flown theory.  My question stands:  How many women have you discussed this with?  Have the discussions taken place in person?

To recapitulate:  we are talking about prostitution, which is the practice of a man who, perhaps on this solitary occasion, but in many cases chronically, cannot be bothered with maintaining an actual relationship with a woman, paying a woman for the "unentangled" use of her body;  a practice which traditionally and in a great majority of cultures is considered shameful (and one wants to consider the reasons for that).  And you are posing these naive arguments for making that "doll, take your clothes off, I cannot be bothered with your mind or your feelings" activity a legal institution.

You're telling me you have no interest in what actual women think of your proposal?

Oh, I forget!  Your idea is that the woman's intelligence and thoughts are of no consequence!

Hence my remark:  This discussion is bound to make more women want to take part at GMG.

Ken, we are free to do a great deal.  Only a subset of that great deal is it wise to do.
You quoted my human trafficking remark when asking me that. How am I supposed to find people involved in human trafficking for interviews? And if I somehow were able to, that would be a pretty small sample size. Something like that you have to rely on statistics found online.

QuoteYou're telling me you have no interest in what actual women think of your proposal?
I do. Did you read Ken's article? Read the first paragraph of page 3.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same study were done for where I work and the results ended up less favorable than for these prostitutes. If they found the work shameful enough to not even be worth it, then they wouldn't do it. People are different. What may appear shameful to us may not appear the same way to them.

Gurn Blanston

I think we've gone about as far as we're going to go in this thread with this topic. Any further posts on this topic will be deleted. If you want to start a thread, go ahead, it can be moderated that way. This totally off-topic conversation has ruined this thread for any other purposes, for which it existed nicely for the last 4 or 5 years.

Any complaints, PM me.

GB
8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

I liked the video explaining the commonwealth games the best! ;D

The link that also appears in the article is: http://youtu.be/-Aj3KZa1ZCM

Brian

Weird Al Yankovic has the #1 album in America.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on July 24, 2014, 09:19:13 AM
Weird Al Yankovic has the #1 album in America.

Well, perhaps there is hope after all!  :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 24, 2014, 09:59:58 AM
Let's try this again:

Lego news.

Quote... And her Facebook page is littered with Lego findings.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

DavidW

Quote from: Ken B on July 24, 2014, 08:00:31 AM
Important unimportant news http://reason.com/blog/2014/07/23/mom-jailed-for-letting-her-kid-play-unsu

I have to say this is not the 50s anymore.  You can't just let your children roam free.  It's not safe.  The stupid article tries to argue that crime rate is way down... not in SC.  This took place in SC, where the crime rate is very high. 

bwv 1080

Quote from: DavidW on July 25, 2014, 07:22:02 AM
I have to say this is not the 50s anymore.  You can't just let your children roam free.  It's not safe.  The stupid article tries to argue that crime rate is way down... not in SC.  This took place in SC, where the crime rate is very high.

this is not an area for the criminal justice system.  It is not a crime to be poor and a single mother