The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Okay, I am in my 8th Grade Homeroom.

Two boys, brothers, the most identical of identical twins, and not particularly bright, have decided to start arm-wrestling.   ???

Again, these are identical twins!

After two to three minutes of going nowhere, and restarting a few times, I simply said: "Hmm: i-den-ti-cal twins arm-wrestling:  I wonder why there is a perpetual tie!"

One of the spectators says: "Oh yeah!  That's right!"

To quote the waiter in Ferris Bueller: "I weep for the future!   ;)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

North Star

Quote from: Cato on May 07, 2015, 04:08:50 AM

Two boys, brothers, the most identical of identical twins, and not particularly bright, have decided to start arm-wrestling.   ???

After two to three minutes of going nowhere, and restarting a few times, I simply said: "Hmm: i-den-ti-cal twins arm-wrestling:  I wonder why there is a perpetual tie!"

Well one of them might exercise more. . .
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on May 07, 2015, 04:08:50 AM

One of the spectators says: "Oh yeah!  That's right!"

To quote the waiter in Ferris Bueller: "I weep for the future!   ;)

Plus:

Quote from: Florestan on May 05, 2015, 11:55:08 AM
The shallowest slogan ever to come out from some of the worst demagogues in history.  ;D ;D ;D

It's the journey, not the destination.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on May 05, 2015, 11:55:08 AM
The shallowest slogan ever to come out from some of the worst demagogues in history.  ;D ;D ;D
"Ego te absolvo."

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ibanezmonster

Happy Goku Day!

Today, May 9, has been officially recognized as a holiday commemorating Goku, the great Saiyan warrior who saved our universe from evil. "Go" is "5" and "Ku" is one way of saying "9," so 5/9.

Article:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-05-09/may-9-officially-recognized-as-goku-day/.87998

From Japan Anniversary Association's website: http://www.kinenbi.gr.jp/
says it right here:

Quote悟空の日   5月9日

Ken B

I have long argued that the true conservative position on abortion rights is pro-choice. The kind of government intrusion needed to truly enforce a ban on abortion dwarfs even that claimed by the most radical statist. In the USA at the federal level there is also another consideration counselling the same conclusion: enumerated powers.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/05/10/abortion-republicans-congress-limits-column/27083275/

Will the GOP stick to principles or god-talk? My money is on god-talk.  >:(

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on May 10, 2015, 06:36:04 PM
I have long argued that the true conservative position on abortion rights is pro-choice. The kind of government intrusion needed to truly enforce a ban on abortion dwarfs even that claimed by the most radical statist. In the USA at the federal level there is also another consideration counselling the same conclusion: enumerated powers.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/05/10/abortion-republicans-congress-limits-column/27083275/

Will the GOP stick to principles or god-talk? My money is on god-talk.  >:(

The same applies to immigration.  To actually achieve what the GOP says it wants on that issue would require a true police state, where everyone must produce papers on demand.

These points illustrate the fact that conservatism is not necessarily small government in orientation.  Authoritarian conservatives have a long history. 

Perhaps we could say that Republicans are against big government except when they are for it.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 10, 2015, 07:25:23 PM
Perhaps we could say that Republicans are against big government except when they are for it.
That would be completely accurate.  :D

Jo498

It is a very strange understanding of "conservative" to take "government intrusion" as an overruling criterion. I'd call this libertarian, not conservative.
If abortion is, as the opponents claim, something like a murder of an innocent human being, it seems obvious that preventing this had to overrule any qualms about government intrusion.
Even a minimalist nightwatchman state is supposed to stop atrocities (which abortions clearly are if the opponents are right). If they are wrong, the state shouldn't intrude. But the very point of debate is whether abortions are atrocious or not, so you cannot just assume one side to be obviously right, and conclude what amount of intrusion would be appropriate.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

North Star

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 10, 2015, 07:25:23 PMPerhaps we could say that Republicans are against big government except when they are for it.
Or in it.  8)

And Jo, American and European definitions of conservative are somewhat different.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on May 11, 2015, 12:33:34 AM
It is a very strange understanding of "conservative" to take "government intrusion" as an overruling criterion. I'd call this libertarian, not conservative.
If abortion is, as the opponents claim, something like a murder of an innocent human being, it seems obvious that preventing this had to overrule any qualms about government intrusion.
Even a minimalist nightwatchman state is supposed to stop atrocities (which abortions clearly are if the opponents are right). If they are wrong, the state shouldn't intrude. But the very point of debate is whether abortions are atrocious or not, so you cannot just assume one side to be obviously right, and conclude what amount of intrusion would be appropriate.

I agree 100%.

Quote from: North Star on May 11, 2015, 12:54:27 AM
American and European definitions of conservative are somewhat different.

Exactly, just like the definitions of liberal.   :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

I agree and I am aware of different usages of these terms, still "conservative" without qualifier does include "social conservatives" as well.
But I was actually unclear: EVEN a libertarian who favors a minimal state would usually agree that among the few jobs of such a state would be the prevention of murder (and respectively the prosecution and punishment of perpetrators). So IF (and I completely agree that it is a big IF) abortion is akin to murder, even a minimalist state cannot just adopt laissez-faire wrt abortion as a default position. We can see this easily if we replace abortion with murderous robbery. To deny that the state should try to prevent (or at least prosecute and punish after the fact) murder and robbery is not libertarian but anarchist (or worse).

Of course, our society is divided in the question whether abortion is wrong. Still, my position is that precisely because our society is so deeply divided in this question there is at least the reasonable possibility that abortion is akin to murder, so laissez-faire should not be the default option for the state.

Sure, there is a slippery slope here. If there is a minority that claims that women not wearing a headscarf (or veil) are commiting a capital offense, should the state also take it as reasonable possibility that unveiled women are commiting a crime and therefore provide ruling?
Surely not. But it has to be decided case by case, and I think that for e.g. abortion there is a sufficiently reasonable case that it is a serious moral wrong and therefore laissez faire should not be the standard option.

"freedom of choice" might still be the *result* of a process of deliberation and legislation on this issue. But taking it as a *default option* seems to be begging a very serious and difficult moral question.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

ibanezmonster

Forget the message in this. I despise both pictures. I think this sums up what I hate most about my fellow Americans.

ibanezmonster

Wtf is wrong with Florida men?  ;D

http://www.mandatory.com/2015/05/12/man-kills-imaginary-friend-turns-self-in-takes-worlds-saddest/

edit: lol... well, looks like this story was fabricated. But believable.

Ken B

I am tempted to start a new thread, Too many people go to university.
http://reason.com/blog/2015/05/12/trigger-warning-mythology

I am serious btw. Too many people go to university.

Follow up. The best book of poetry I have read in a long time.
[asin]0374525870[/asin]
I think most of you can take it. You be careful though Nate:laugh:

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on May 13, 2015, 05:39:42 AM
I am serious btw. Too many people go to university.

Is this related to people being graduated from high school with less than what a high school education used to mean?...
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA