Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Started by Maciek, April 29, 2007, 01:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

bhodges

Great post, Al.  His music is "wearing well" to my ears; his innovations don't sound dated, as I thought they might over time.  I wish more of his work would show up in concerts, and that still isn't happening.  All of those works you cite are well worth exploring and getting to know, and certainly repay the time investment. 

The Viola Concerto, in particular, is one of the best concertos for that instrument.  If you haven't seen the DVD of Yuri Bashmet performing it (with Gergiev and Vienna), do check it out!

--Bruce

Bonehelm

I don't know much about this composer, is he tonal? Hard to listen to for newbies? 'Cause I get lost at most 20th/21st century stuff...

not edward

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 22, 2007, 10:03:40 PM
I don't know much about this composer, is he tonal? Hard to listen to for newbies? 'Cause I get lost at most 20th/21st century stuff...
Sometimes, sometimes not. And very often he's both tonal and atonal in the same work. It's all a bit post-modern. ;)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Bonehelm

Quote from: edward on August 22, 2007, 10:45:49 PM
Sometimes, sometimes not. And very often he's both tonal and atonal in the same work. It's all a bit post-modern. ;)

Wow, that must be harsh on my young ears :)

bhodges

Just notice that Berkshire has no fewer than four versions of the Piano Quintet.  I have heard all but the first one, but I imagine the Borodins are quite good, too.  The last three are superb.

Schnittke, String Quartet #3; Piano Quintet. Mahler / Schnittke, Piano Quartet. (Ludmilla Berlinsky, piano. Borodin String Quartet. Total time: 66') 
Add to cart | Price: $ 7.99 | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: Digital | Code: 7590402 | BRO Code: 134229 | Label: VIRGIN
Genre: Chamber Music 

Schnittke, Piano Trio {1992}; Piano Quintet {1972-1976}. (Barbican Piano Trio w.Jan Peter Schmolck, violin & James Boyd, viola. Total time: 57'03') 
Add to cart | Price: $ 5.99 | Country: ENGLAND | D/A code: Digital | Code: BBM 1093 | BRO Code: 129014 | Label: BLACK BOX

Schnittke, Piano Quintet; 3 Madrigals for Soprano & 5 Instruments; Serenade for Clarinet, Violin, Double Bass, Percussion & Piano; String Trio. (Capricorn Ensemble) 
Add to cart | Price: $ 6.99 | Country: ENGLAND | D/A code: Digital | Code: CDA 66885 | BRO Code: 124101 | Label: HYPERION

Schnittke, Piano Quintet {w.Gary Graffman, piano}. Shostakovich, String Quartet #3. (All w.Moscow String Quartet) 
Add to cart | Price: $ 5.99 | Country: AMERICA | D/A code: Analogue | Code: FAC 9804-2 | BRO Code: 120555 | Label: FINER ARTS CLASSICAL

--Bruce

quintett op.57

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 23, 2007, 09:35:50 PM
Wow, that must be harsh on my young ears :)
please try the 1st cello sonata at least

greg

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 22, 2007, 10:03:40 PM
they have some free stuff on:
http://www.classicalarchives.com

you have to register, but it's easy. Also, he has quite a bit on youtube.

Bonehelm

Quote from: greg on August 24, 2007, 10:31:01 AM
they have some free stuff on:
http://www.classicalarchives.com

you have to register, but it's easy. Also, he has quite a bit on youtube.

Alright thanks. I'm hearing his cello sonata right now. ;)

greg

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 24, 2007, 10:29:54 PM
Alright thanks. I'm hearing his cello sonata right now. ;)
sweeeeeet
and with your avatar it's almost like i'm talking to a hot lady who is enjoying my own musical interests, wow...... that's like magical, really  :-X

Bonehelm

Quote from: greg on August 25, 2007, 07:23:47 PM
sweeeeeet
and with your avatar it's almost like i'm talking to a hot lady who is enjoying my own musical interests, wow...... that's like magical, really  :-X

rofl...keep reminding yourself, you're talking to the "racist" bonehead, not the hot lady! :D

The Emperor

Just got the string quartets, played by Kronos, well needless to say being a DSCH i love this!!!!

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: The Emperor on January 08, 2008, 04:11:46 PM
Just got the string quartets, played by Kronos, well needless to say being a DSCH i love this!!!!

Strange, considering the Kronos recording is dreadful. Try the Tale (more virulence and power) or the Lark (greater detail and better sound quality).

The Emperor

Well i haven't heard any other versions so i can't compare, i don't think the sound quality is bad, but if this is the worst i can only imagine how it is the best.

greg

remind me to post some thoughts here, if i can eventually sort them out. In short, i think i've found a new top 5 favorite composer!  0:) 0:) 0:)

greg

what's up with this site:
http://www.alfredschnittke.com/

???

here's a link with 5 min of his 9th:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/arts/music/07symp.html

bhodges

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on January 09, 2008, 12:32:07 PM
what's up with this site:
http://www.alfredschnittke.com/

???

It seems to be something of a conceptual art project, by Nathan Beach, a web designer who apparently lives near Dallas, Texas.  I found it awhile back and thought it was fun, not to mention a pretty fair translation of Schnittke's style into visual terms.

http://www.nathanbeach.com/about.html

--Bruce

greg

Quote from: bhodges on January 09, 2008, 12:42:58 PM
It seems to be something of a conceptual art project, by Nathan Beach, a web designer who apparently lives near Dallas, Texas.  I found it awhile back and thought it was fun, not to mention a pretty fair translation of Schnittke's style into visual terms.

http://www.nathanbeach.com/about.html

--Bruce
ummmm ok

i don't think it works, though, it's not dark enough for one.... and there's too much random stuff. lol

bhodges

I found this on Beach's site:

"An artistic tribute to the late great Russian-German composer, Alfred Schnittke. Many thanks to B. A. Eisemann for introducing me to Schnittke while driving the back roads of the 75080 with the windows down. I really wasn't meaning to cause any negative controversy with this web site, but a few people left some unpleasant comments in the guestbook (now removed from the domain). However, I think Alfred would like the site. I was in Hamburg -- completely coincidentally -- the day he died. I hope people understand that Schnittke Is Everywhereâ„¢."

He seems to be espousing a philosophy, rather than summing up the composer, like some kind of "Schnittke for President" campaign.  ;D

--Bruce

Haffner

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on January 08, 2008, 07:04:18 PM
Strange, considering the Kronos recording is dreadful. Try the Tale (more virulence and power) or the Lark (greater detail and better sound quality).

I agree, especially on the Lark.