Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Started by Maciek, April 29, 2007, 01:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

Isn't it about time we had an Alfred Garyevich Schnittke thread?

Post your thoughts, recommendations and everything else Schnittke-related here! :D

Cheers,
Maciek

Maciek

Oh, and here are 2 threads from the old forum (if you're aware of any more, please do post them!):

Schnittke's Progress
Schnittke Symphony recommendation needed

Maciek

Drasko

Piano Quintet is absolutely quinte(t)ssential

SonicMan46

Quote from: MrOsa on April 29, 2007, 01:04:11 PM
Oh, and here are 2 threads from the old forum (if you're aware of any more, please do post them!):

Schnittke's Progress
Schnittke Symphony recommendation needed

Maciek - I was about to check the old forum, myself, but thanks for the links - that first one has a lot of recommendations (I was posting back then in Oct '05!) - DavidW & Paulb had quite a few posts, then.

For those interested in this composer, I would first suggest looking at those old threads linked - there are plenty of excellent recommendations already - but additional ones will be greatly appreciated -  :)  Dave

Don Giovanni

I have his Concerto grosso - it's an enjoyable yet crazy work.

Choo Choo

Maciek

Quote from: Don Giovanni on May 01, 2007, 02:08:54 AM
I have his Concerto grosso - it's an enjoyable yet crazy work.

Which one?

(I mean which one do you have - all the ones I've heard are enjoyable and crazy ;).)

Don Giovanni

Oh! The first concerto grosso. I'm not sure how crazy it is compared to the rest of Schnittke's output.

BachQ

Quote from: MrOsa on April 29, 2007, 01:00:45 PM
Isn't it about time we had an Alfred Garyevich Schnittke thread?

Post your thoughts, recommendations and everything else Schnittke-related here! :D

I love the Requiem . . . . . .

karlhenning

Drasko

Quote from: karlhenning on May 01, 2007, 10:58:34 AM
His dad's name was Gary?

Hopefully not Грязный Гарри  :o

karlhenning

Quote from: Drasko on May 01, 2007, 11:10:55 AM
Hopefully not Грязный Гарри  :o

Crikey, that's funny!

And, check PM!

not edward

Quote from: karlhenning on May 01, 2007, 10:58:34 AM
His dad's name was Gary?
Yes. Schnittke's father was a Volga German, and his mother a Russian Jew.That--plus his spending some of his teens in the Russian sector of Vienna--might explain a lot of the cultural cross-cutting in his work.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

karlhenning

I have trouble thinking of Gary as a German name, too, Edward! :-)

Danny

The only piece I have of Schniike (Piano Quintet) gives me the creeps.  I love it, but it is certainly a rather macabre piece for my taste.

BachQ

Quote from: Danny on May 01, 2007, 11:25:06 AM
The only piece I have of Schniike (Piano Quintet) gives me the creeps.  I love it, but it is certainly a rather macabre piece for my taste.

"Macabre" can describe much of Schnittke's works, including portions of the Requiem ( ::)) . . . . . . .

Danny

Quote from: D Minor on May 01, 2007, 11:36:34 AM
"Macabre" can describe much of Schnittke's works, including portions of the Requiem ( ::)) . . . . . . .

A macabre requiem.......................I must hear!

bwv 1080

The 3rd SQ & the 5th Symphony are probably my favorite AS works.  Minnesang, sort of a medieval vocal pastiche is a very cool choral work as is the Choir Concerto

Maciek

OK, here I go exposing myself: I've never heard the Quintet (I think)! :o :o :o

Of course, I'll try to change that as soon as possible (what does that mean exactly? it means: not very soon but hopefully sooner than that :P).

At least I have the Trio... What a relief. ;)

Choo Choo

Quote from: Danny on May 01, 2007, 11:46:54 AM
A macabre requiem.......................I must hear!

Macabre, yes ... in places.  Certainly highly dramatic.  A Dies Irae that's shouted angrily.  And highly eclectic (e.g. a full rock'n'roll drumkit in the Credo.)  But it's also a sincere lament for the death of the composer's mother, and that comes across too.  Much beautiful music.  My personal preference would be for the BIS recording, as slightly less ragged than e.g. the Classico/Tim one - but either is fine.

And then there's Symphony No.2 "St Florian".  The Bruckner connection is extremely tenuous - but, oddly, I have found it to make a more fitting Finale to the unfinished Bruckner #9 than some others (such as Bruckner's own Te Deum, - or, indeed, the several "completions" in existence.)  Rozhdestvensky is your man here:  Polyansky doesn't seem (to my ears) to achieve the same sorts of resonances.