Author Topic: The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread  (Read 132906 times)

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
Re: The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread
« Reply #840 on: October 17, 2019, 10:34:00 PM »
A novice question:

How would you describe that non-scholarly grand and intimate tone that Marie Claire Alain has on her Bach recordings? Is it the settings she chooses or the organs themselves? Are there any other players that favor a similar sound?

Must admit I do not understand this entirely.

Alain has done 3 integrals, plus at least a handful 'loose' discs in between, on various organs with different sounds.
In general, I find her style semi-informed: not much legato, and the grand choral-free works mostly with full organ from start to end.
There's a more intimate sound in many of the chorale arrangements, which is quite normal: you pick a stop for the chorale melody, and mostly the accompaniment of the other voices is either 'only' accompaniment' or showing interesting polyphony/counterpoint. I find Alain's style in her chorale stuff a bit laid-back and dry, but it never struck me as very non-scholarly.

The sound Alain is extracting from f.i. the Schnitger et al organ in the Groningen Martinikerk, is not very different from the sound that many other organist prefer, as far as I can 'judge'. Grand when needed, and intimate when needed.
(Of course there are many different views on what is 'needed'.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:44:10 PM by Marc »
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread
« Reply #841 on: October 17, 2019, 11:28:28 PM »
A novice question:

How would you describe that non-scholarly grand and intimate tone that Marie Claire Alain has on her Bach recordings? Is it the settings she chooses or the organs themselves? Are there any other players that favor a similar sound?

She said “J’ai travaillé dans la joie et j’ai été inondée. ”
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen