Chopin's mazurkas

Started by jwinter, August 02, 2012, 12:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on March 31, 2023, 06:50:26 AMYes, the translation algorithms gave "dirt" and "earthiness."

I think earthiness is (near) a  perfect word. Mud odor, dorokusasa, means lack of sophistication/refinement. Often the term is used in positive term. For instance, beauty of folk music.

I will check the Alexeev.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on March 31, 2023, 07:13:32 AMDo you know the English word petrichor? Nobody knows it, but it's a lovely word

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/types-of-weather/rain/petrichor#:~:text=Petrichor%20is%20the%20smell%20of,the%20veins%20of%20the%20immortals.

That's a beautiful word. We have a word- Madoromu- for doze, reverie.

I love the smell of rain. I particularly like the smell of subway (stations and trains) in rainy days in Tokyo. I think it's a mixture of smells of dust, mold, water, concrete, rotten things, etc.. Very urban, a little decadent smell. I wish there were a perfume of that smell.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on March 31, 2023, 12:04:33 AM(The post that @Luke quoted got deleted while I checked that it was fair. It was, so here it is.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chopin-Mazurkas-Dmitri-Alexeev-2015-02-27/dp/B01K8MEO60

Alexeev's mazurkas

There's a review on Amazon of this which is totally right, and it's helped me understand something about these mazurkas (assuming Google translate is totally right) viz:

欠点があるとするならば、土臭さはないので、それを求める方にはもの足りないはず。

There's nuance and sensitivity and intelligence in spadefuls. Beautifully played.  However because it's so very very polished and civilised  it becomes like a box of chocolates - after a few, despite the loveliness of them, you start to get sick of it all.

Rather monotonic attack and tone in spite of the rich timing.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I don't know anything about him!

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 07, 2023, 06:18:47 PMI don't know anything about him!

Here's an discussion with me and two (other?) opinionated, passionate and knowledgeable gentlemen about the Chopin Barcarolle. You may or may not be amused.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.classical.recordings/c/dlpNCfgAj3c/m/s8kHTMlgCgAJ

I've got two things on my hard drive -- Schumann's Album for the Young (where he seems to announce each piece in Italian before playing it), and a concert with Miklos Perenyi of Beethoven sonatas (not very good IMO because of Perenyi.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on April 08, 2023, 09:37:26 AMHere's an discussion with me and two (other?) opinionated, passionate and knowledgeable gentlemen about the Chopin Barcarolle. You may or may not be amused.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.classical.recordings/c/dlpNCfgAj3c/m/s8kHTMlgCgAJ

I've got two things on my hard drive -- Schumann's Album for the Young (where he seems to announce each piece in Italian before playing it), and a concert with Miklos Perenyi of Beethoven sonatas (not very good IMO because of Perenyi.)

I find his interpretations/executions fascinating. There is a dandy and urban feel in his music. A slight decadence too. Maybe his performance sounds too funky to some people?
His Liszt below.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Enjoying some Mazurkas and Etudes by Grigory Ginsburg this weekend.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Nice effort by Dina Yoffe with Pleyel. (The title of video says 67-3, but it's 17-4.) Personally I would like more ambiguity and shadow. Still this is a nice interpretation.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Steely sound. Since this is an official video from Bechstein, I guess they are proud of the sound.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I love the slick and magical performance of the Valses by Cortot. I don't agree with all the interpretations. But his interpretations are invariably aesthetic, effective and innovative.