Author Topic: Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord  (Read 290538 times)

Offline DavidW

• Veteran member
Re: Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord
« Reply #1280 on: February 01, 2021, 05:26:58 PM »
Suzuki, Asperen. Tried the new Belder but not sold on it.

I'm not a fan of Belder at all.  I will add Parmentier and Asperen to the queue.

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #1281 on: July 18, 2021, 03:34:37 PM »
I may have asked this already, but what are some great harpsichord recordings of the Art of Fugue? I have heard and love the Leonhardt on DHM but it is currently unavailable on disc. (Has Masaaki Suzuki not yet recorded this work? I wonder why.)

Any thoughts on the Belder, or the Bob van Asperen?

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #1282 on: July 18, 2021, 04:46:35 PM »
I may have asked this already, but what are some great harpsichord recordings of the Art of Fugue? I have heard and love the Leonhardt on DHM but it is currently unavailable on disc. (Has Masaaki Suzuki not yet recorded this work? I wonder why.)

Messori (Brilliant Classics), Moroney (Harm.Mundi.Fr.), van Delft (Brilliant Classics again) are my actual favorites other than Leonhardt. They represent more or less the same interpretative style. Messori is marginally more extrovert.

Some are very enthusiastic about Vartolo - I not so much. Van Asperen's interpretation is IMO too embellished a la Francaise . becomes quickly annoying to me.

As to Belder I haven't listened enough to his recording, so I won't say anything about it.

Leonhardts DHM AoF is contained in this box:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8007690--gustav-leonhardt-plays-bach

Maybe it can be had second hand, but download flac is also a reasonably good solution.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #1283 on: July 18, 2021, 04:58:27 PM »
+1 for the Leonhardt 2 and Messori. The BvA and Belder are not my things though I like their other recordings.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1284 on: July 18, 2021, 06:22:36 PM »
If you insist on having the all the canons and fugues I think you should listen to Rübsam on lute harpsichord, no one has dedicated more recording time to Art of Fugue than Rübsam, if quantity is the measure of majesty he is the AoF king. And I too am fond of Messori, not least for the harpsichord he uses, and the melancholy, reflective style. Try also to sample Martha Cook - I think it’s rather good - more than that, outstanding in fact.

There is another approach which is important in the interpretation history of the music - a vigorous tense Italianate extrovert virtuoso style. Examples include Robert Hill and Christian Rieger, and maybe Kenneth Gilbert, it’s many years since I listened to Gilbert. I’m not keen on this approach myself but it’s all a matter of taste and you may enjoy the energy.

But you must listen to Van Asperen, because it is an interesting experiment which you may find rewarding, Koopman is in the same vein I would say.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 12:51:08 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1285 on: July 18, 2021, 11:13:45 PM »

Robert Hill and Menno van Delft are my picks.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 11:15:34 PM by Que »

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #1286 on: July 19, 2021, 12:53:13 AM »
I ordered the Messori, it sounds amazing. Not sure why I never heard of this recording before. Also includes a Musikalisches Opfer which is a work I am obsessed with.

• Veteran member
« Reply #1287 on: July 19, 2021, 02:32:28 AM »
If you insist on having the all the canons and fugues I think you should listen to Rübsam on lute harpsichord, no one has dedicated more recording time to Art of Fugue than Rübsam, if quantity is the measure of majesty he is the AoF king. And I too am fond of Messori, not least for the harpsichord he uses, and the melancholy, reflective style. Try also to sample Martha Cook - I think it’s rather good - more than that, outstanding in fact.

I briefly thought of Rübsam, but didn't dare to recommend him as a "first" recording - he is too individual, and I think one will appreciate his recording more, when one has some other recordings of the work for comparison.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

• Veteran member
« Reply #1288 on: July 19, 2021, 02:43:48 AM »
There is another approach which is important in the interpretation history of the music - a vigorous tense Italianate extrovert virtuoso style. Examples include Robert Hill and Christian Rieger, and maybe Kenneth Gilbert, it’s many years since I listened to Gilbert. I’m not keen on this approach myself but it’s all a matter of taste and you may enjoy the energy.

I agree very much with this and share your taste. AoF is not a virtuoso style piece, but instead a rather reflective and introvert piece. Gilbert IMO does not belong to the virtuoso league, but rather to those, who emphasise euphony and beauty.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1289 on: July 20, 2021, 11:17:08 PM »
I ordered the Messori, it sounds amazing. Not sure why I never heard of this recording before. Also includes a Musikalisches Opfer which is a work I am obsessed with.

I listened to it yesterday. It may be the most expressive AoF I know, the impact is achieved largely but not exclusively through rubato. Such a shame that he didn’t record more AoF harpsichord type works - like Frescobaldi’s Capricci and Byrd’s Pavanes and Galliards, just to apply these skills he had in harpsichord rubato and counterpoint to other musics. He studied with Vartolo, clearly the learned from the master!

That being said, with such an original conception, there’s no guarantee that anyone will like it! You have to be ready to submit to it.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 11:31:29 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #1290 on: July 21, 2021, 12:58:23 AM »
I listened to it yesterday. It may be the most expressive AoF I know, the impact is achieved largely but not exclusively through rubato. Such a shame that he didn’t record more AoF harpsichord type works - like Frescobaldi’s Capricci and Byrd’s Pavanes and Galliards, just to apply these skills he had in harpsichord rubato and counterpoint to other musics. He studied with Vartolo, clearly the learned from the master!

That being said, with such an original conception, there’s no guarantee that anyone will like it! You have to be ready to submit to it.

Very excited to spend time with it. I must admit that the AoF is not a work that has 100% clicked with me yet, so I am open to hearing different interpretations. Someday I will check out your beloved Rübsam's as well as I have come around somewhat on his later style.

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #1291 on: July 21, 2021, 05:45:55 AM »
Pieter-Jan Belder released a recording of English Suites this spring. It is fair/average.

Online JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #1292 on: August 16, 2021, 06:15:36 PM »
Cross post from the Listening thread

About 2/3rds of the way through this one

The novel soundboard of the instrument doesn't make any real difference in my eard. The mikes seem to have been placed fairly close, but not close enough to catch whatever vocalizations Esfahani might have emitted.
There are mannerisms in the playing but not enough to mar my enjoyment.

So overall I liked it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk