J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on January 22, 2011, 06:54:50 AM
Yes, we have to prevent the symptoms of CDCDCD whenever and wherever we can.  :)

Well, last week I had a serious relapse. I ordered two sets of Bach's complete organ music.  :-[

Quote from: premont on January 22, 2011, 07:10:19 AM
Unfortunately the situation may be similar with greater labels. F.I Wolfgang Rübsam´s first Bach traversal on Philips has been OOP for at least four years, and what is going to happen with the Philips recordings??

It's true, but re-releases of those tiny labels are almost impossible, excepting -I suppose- an eventual interest from Brilliant Classics.

I have thought it would be interesting a new thread with suggestions of re-releases, if it doesn't exist already. For example, I would want to see re-released Walcha's complete performances on harpsichord, the Beethoven piano sonatas by Badura-Skoda (on period instruments, of course) and those Haydn's symphonies performed by Derek Solomon and his gang.  :)

prémont

Quote from: Scarpia on January 22, 2011, 07:18:40 AM
There's been no change in the status of Philips since 1980.  They have been part of Polygram/Universal/Vivendi/(whoever owns them now)   The only difference is their right to use the Philips trade mark has expired so they are called Decca now. 

Yes, but will the set become available again? This is what matters.

Quote from: Scarpia on January 22, 2011, 07:18:40 AM
A lot of mythology has grown over that set since it has been OOP for so long (I think since '96).  My brother has it (enormous package) and I ripped it but haven't listened to any of it yet.

I reacquired the set on CD (got it on LP 1978) from JPC around 2005, so it has not been unavailable for 15 years.
An what do you mean with mytology? It is a very fine and temperamental HIP influenced interpretation, which you should hear if you have the opportunity to do. The only weak point is the choice of organ, a neo-baroque relative uninteresting Metzler-organ.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 22, 2011, 07:21:29 AM
Well, last week I had a serious relapse. I ordered two sets of Bach's complete organ music.  :-[

Yes, Lagacé. Which was the other one?

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 22, 2011, 07:21:29 AM
I have thought it would be interesting a new thread with suggestions of re-releases, if it doesn't exist already. For example, I would want to see re-released Walcha's complete performances on harpsichord, the Beethoven piano sonatas by Badura-Skoda (on period instruments, of course) and those Haydn's symphonies performed by Derek Solomon and his gang.  :)
'

Very much in my vein, even if I fortunately own much of this already.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on January 22, 2011, 07:45:20 AM
Yes, Lagacé. Which was the other one?

Olivier Vernet... It seems to be going OOP, even on Amazon France (f.i., it's not currently available on JPC).

Probably Walcha has been the guilty. One month ago I acquired his second integral recording and I listened it completely in three weeks. After that I was again so excited about this music that my answer was to purchase two new complete sets (one, Lagace, previous listen of several discs, the other one motivated by the OOP factor).  :)

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 22, 2011, 08:01:11 AM
Olivier Vernet... It seems to be going OOP, even on Amazon France (f.i., it's not currently available on JPC).

Oliver Vernet? His integral was rereleased in a box about a year ago, and is already facing OOP?? Outrageous I think.
However you will not regret, that you got it in time.

Lagacé´s integral has been available for many years and attracts attention because of the inclusion of the WTC, Inventions and Goldberg Variations. At first listening he may seem rather traditional and unsensational, but repeated listening pays. His choice of organ BTW (he plays all the works on a modern von Beckerath organ withouth much character) seems uninspired.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on January 22, 2011, 08:18:55 AM
Oliver Vernet? His integral was rereleased in a box about a year ago, and is already facing OOP?? Outrageous I think.
However you will not regret, that you got it in time.

Lagacé´s integral has been available for many years and attracts attention because of the inclusion of the WTC, Inventions and Goldberg Variations. At first listening he may seem rather traditional and unsensational, but repeated listening pays. His choice of organ BTW (he plays all the works on a modern von Beckerath organ withouth much character) seems uninspired.

Well, some posts ago you defined Seiler's style like "ultrainterventionalistic" (I don't know if that word exists, but it explains perfectly the concept  :)); about Lagacé, I liked his no-nonsense approach. The kind of playing that seems to come from nowhere; a sort of inevitability and slow pace that I really enjoyed. From that point of view I don't consider totally unexplainable his choice by an "aseptic" instrument. For sure, the inclusion of music composed for harpsichord is a great bonus, as it's a great bonus too that disc in Vernet's cycle, including organ versions for the concertos for several harpsichords.   

FideLeo

Quote from: premont on September 22, 2007, 06:19:29 AM

A great pity though to sell his nowadays unavailable Bach integral. Masolino, you might at least have sold it to me!! I own only one half of it, and really don´t understand what you are thinking of in writing, that you couldn´t hear his playing.

Just looked at this old post and thought that I might put in an update here as well before signing off.  In case it's not yet noticed by many in this forum, organist Bernard Foccroulle's Bach integral set is back in print in a (well sort of) compact box with a big booklet.  I only have time for one Bach organ set at the moment, and this is it.  Examples will be posted for those interested in comparisons.

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on January 22, 2011, 08:18:55 AM

... and weird, in addition. I checked out Amazon (US, UK and DE), Presto Classical and MDT and the set is not available. I purchased the last one available on Amazon France and now it's still available, but "habituellement expédié sous 1 à 4 semaines". 

FideLeo

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 22, 2011, 09:13:30 AM
... and weird, in addition. I checked out Amazon (US, UK and DE), Presto Classical and MDT and the set is not available. I purchased the last one available on Amazon France and now it's still available, but "habituellement expédié sous 1 à 4 semaines".

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/offer-listing/B0013V9ROA/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: masolino on January 22, 2011, 09:18:39 AM
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/offer-listing/B0013V9ROA/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

AMP is frequently an option just for European buyers (and not for all of them). I supposse that this set will be still available from third parties for some time, but the price will be increasingly high. Anyway, my point was that that set is not being directly sold by a great number of major online stores which is usually a symptom of soon unavailability.   

FideLeo

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 22, 2011, 09:32:04 AM
AMP is frequently an option just for European buyers (and not for all of them). I supposse that this set will be still available from third parties for some time, but the price will be increasingly high. Anyway, my point was that that set is not being directly sold by a great number of major online stores which is usually a symptom of soon unavailability.

Look closer, it's still available from Amazon fr at the moment (one set left!).

The prices are lower, though, from the market place sellers.

Coopmv

Quote from: masolino on January 22, 2011, 09:35:09 AM

MP vendors almost always undercut Amazon in prices ...

FideLeo

Quote from: Coopmv on January 22, 2011, 09:37:05 AM
MP vendors almost always undercut Amazon in prices ...

Although they don't always deliver, which can be a huge disappointment if you really desire the item.

The Vernet set is one great sounding organ disc.  Interested buyers need not hesitate.

Coopmv

Quote from: masolino on January 22, 2011, 09:40:54 AM
Although they don't always deliver, which can be a huge disappointment if you really desire the item.

The Vernet set is one great sounding organ disc.  Interested buyers need not hesitate.

With 8 complete Bach Organ Works cycles, I am essentially done.  I would, however, like to get the third cycle recorded by Marie-Claire Alain ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: masolino on January 22, 2011, 09:35:09 AM

I don't need to look closer because I already purchased this set and it's now here in customs. When I bought my copy, just one was shown in stock, but after my purchase the stock was not modified by Amazon. Anyway, on Amazon.fr you also find this link:

http://www.amazon.fr/Complete-Works-Organ-Bach/dp/B002ZXZJ92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295721682&sr=1-1

prémont

Quote from: masolino on January 22, 2011, 09:04:04 AM
Just looked at this old post and thought that I might put in an update here as well before signing off.  In case it's not yet noticed by many in this forum, organist Bernard Foccroulle's Bach integral set is back in print in a (well sort of) compact box with a big booklet.  I only have time for one Bach organ set at the moment, and this is it.  Examples will be posted for those interested in comparisons.

Yes, I remember that post well. As you may guess, I acquired the complete set as soon as it was rereleased in the box your picture depicts.

prémont

Quote from: Coopmv on January 22, 2011, 09:45:04 AM
With 8 complete Bach Organ Works cycles, I am essentially done.  I would, however, like to get the third cycle recorded by Marie-Claire Alain ...

With 32 complete Bach organ sets I am essentially still undone.  :o

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 22, 2011, 09:32:04 AM
AMP is frequently an option just for European buyers (and not for all of them). I supposse that this set will be still available from third parties for some time, but the price will be increasingly high.

Especially at AMP France I often got the information from some sellers that the item was not sent to my country, and I live in Europe, so this is no guarantee by itself. :(

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on January 22, 2011, 09:58:31 AM
With 32 complete Bach organ sets I am essentially still undone.  :o

We clearly have very different priorities.  I see no reason to own more than 10 versions of Bach Complete Organ Works, though I am closing in on 20 versions of SMP ...

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 22, 2011, 08:48:12 AM
Well, some posts ago you defined Seiler's style like "ultrainterventionalistic" (I don't know if that word exists, but it explains perfectly the concept  :));

Nor do I know if the word  exists, but sometimes you have to make a neologism to express yourself properly.

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 22, 2011, 08:48:12 AM
About Lagacé, I liked his no-nonsense approach. The kind of playing that seems to come from nowhere; a sort of inevitability and slow pace that I really enjoyed. From that point of view I don't consider totally unexplainable his choice by an "aseptic" instrument.

I am convinced that the music and Lagacé´s view upon it had been better served by the use of period instruments, f.i. a selection of Gottfried Silbermann instruments. Compare with the not quite unsimilar (as to interpretation) East German "Bach on Silbermann organs" set (recently favorably rereleased by Berlin Classics).