J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by premont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on January 07, 2020, 12:30:12 PM

Tremendous mystical performance of BWV 528 here I'm going to have to check out what he does with the other sonatas  now!

I am listening the recordings on YT. His execution and the organs sound very good while the playing is a little slow in general.
I found a recording below by Doeselaar on YT. Is this the album you praised a few years ago?
Can you provide any info about this album?
He sounds great.

https://youtu.be/nFm7u_9YReE

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Another album by LVD. Is this a new issue and/or new recording?

Mandryka

Quote from: Forever Brett Kavanaugh on January 08, 2020, 10:53:04 AM
I am listening the recordings on YT. His execution and the organs sound very good while the playing is a little slow in general.
I found a recording below by Doeselaar on YT. Is this the album you praised a few years ago?
Can you provide any info about this album?
He sounds great.

https://youtu.be/nFm7u_9YReE

I've got that recording, it's a long long time since I heard it. It's this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doeselaar-Hagerbeer-Schnitger-Laurens-Alkmaar/dp/B009VLH2EG/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=doeselaar+cd&qid=1578518874&sr=8-18

Quote from: Forever Brett Kavanaugh on January 08, 2020, 11:04:54 AM
Another album by LVD. Is this a new issue and/or new recording?

This is new last year. I've never heard anything by Erwin Wiersinga, he has a huge discography, of music I'm not much interested in.  Here's what the new CD is

chnitger-organ
"Wir danken dir, Gott, wir danken dir"
Sinfonia from Cantata BWV 29 3'55
Leo van Doeselaar

Concerto A minor BWV 1065 10'24
for 4 harpsichords and strings
after Antonio Vivaldi, (1678-1741)
(Allegro) 4'22
Largo 2'02
Allegro 3'59
Erwin Wiersinga

Le Picard-organ
Ciaccona 14'26
from Partita Nr. 2 D minor
for Violin Solo BWV 1004
Leo van Doeselaar

Schnitger-organ
Toccata in D BWV 912 11'45
Presto – Allegro – Adagio – Presto – Allegro
Leo van Doeselaar

Le Picard-organ
Contrapunctus I 3'34
Contrapunctus V 3'54
Contrapunctus IX a 4 3'20
from 'Die Kunst der Fuge' BWV 1080
Erwin Wiersinga

Italian Concerto F major BWV 971 14'41
without tempo designation 4'33
Andante 5'19
Presto 4'47
Erwin Wiersinga

Schnitger-organ
"Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott" 7'38
Chorus from Cantata BWV 80
Canto fermo in canone (soprano e basso)
Arranged for 4 hands and 2 feet

Leo van Doeselaar and Erwin Wiersinga
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Forever Brett Kavanaugh on January 08, 2020, 10:53:04 AM

What impressed me in the 528 was how somehow he sometimes make one voice penetrate another like stars penetrating the darkness of the night sky. Shooting stars.

It was probably just something I ate last night . . .

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on January 08, 2020, 12:39:24 PM
What impressed me in the 528 was how somehow he sometimes make one voice penetrate another like stars penetrating the darkness of the night sky. Shooting stars.

I suspect you ate portobello mushroom previous night.
I have been listening his Bach works on YT for a few years, and all the 9 volumes sound good. I will check bwv 528.
I am grateful to the guy who posted this oop recordings on YT. He uploaded other wonderful recordings  as well.
Also thank you for the info on Doeselaar's recordings. Probably I will buy the both.

Ps. Koopman 6cd set arrived, and I will listen them next week. This week I am busy listening Albeniz works orchestrated by several people.

Marc

Quote from: Mandryka on January 08, 2020, 12:39:24 PM

Sometimes I blabber a bit with organ lovers before or after a Martini concert. If we talk about favourite recordings, I tend to a.o. mention Beekman. I mostly get the answer: boring. Well recorded, but... boring. Someone even gave the entire set away almost for free, about 5 years ago. Well, tastes differ.
I myself do realize there are more 'exciting' Bach organists, but actually your description of BWV 528 is very to the 'Beekman' point IMHO: the man has a great feeling for choosing the right stops. To me, his entire OOP integral can be summarized with: beautiful instruments, very well recorded, played by someone who connects to my taste in sound and expression, and who plays in a modest and very sublte HIP-influenced way: not much ado, no fuzzy/legato playing, apt phrasing and a serenity and strength that very much appeals to me. Some of the grand free works are a played a bit stiff, but overall I still rate this integral very high.
A few other examples of my 'cherished' Beekman style: BWV 682 ("Vater unser...") and BWV 688 ("Jesus Christus, unser Heiland"), but also BWV 665 (same choral): the latter played with an almost hidden tension, but it works amazingly well on that beautiful Schnitger/Timpe organ of the Der Aa Kerk in Groningen. It grabs me by the throat, almost literally.

JBS

Crosspost from WAYLT2
NP
[asin]B01KW33O84[/asin]
BVW numbers 565, 538, 590, 545, 572, 542, 582
Organ is a modern one (new enough that the tuning is by the organ maker, Andrea Zeni) in the church of Santa Maria Assunta, Marostica. Recording is from 2016. Sounds to me like his performance here is on par with his work on Brilliant.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on February 06, 2020, 04:39:32 PM
Crosspost from WAYLT2
NP
[asin]B01KW33O84[/asin]
BVW numbers 565, 538, 590, 545, 572, 542, 582
Organ is a modern one (new enough that the tuning is by the organ maker, Andrea Zeni) in the church of Santa Maria Assunta, Marostica. Recording is from 2016. Sounds to me like his performance here is on par with his work on Brilliant.

Nice.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Traverso

Quote from: Marc on January 18, 2020, 04:12:01 AM
Sometimes I blabber a bit with organ lovers before or after a Martini concert. If we talk about favourite recordings, I tend to a.o. mention Beekman. I mostly get the answer: boring. Well recorded, but... boring. Someone even gave the entire set away almost for free, about 5 years ago. Well, tastes differ.
I myself do realize there are more 'exciting' Bach organists, but actually your description of BWV 528 is very to the 'Beekman' point IMHO: the man has a great feeling for choosing the right stops. To me, his entire OOP integral can be summarized with: beautiful instruments, very well recorded, played by someone who connects to my taste in sound and expression, and who plays in a modest and very sublte HIP-influenced way: not much ado, no fuzzy/legato playing, apt phrasing and a serenity and strength that very much appeals to me. Some of the grand free works are a played a bit stiff, but overall I still rate this integral very high.
A few other examples of my 'cherished' Beekman style: BWV 682 ("Vater unser...") and BWV 688 ("Jesus Christus, unser Heiland"), but also BWV 665 (same choral): the latter played with an almost hidden tension, but it works amazingly well on that beautiful Schnitger/Timpe organ of the Der Aa Kerk in Groningen. It grabs me by the throat, almost literally.

I try to visualize that. :D

Marc

Quote from: Traverso on February 14, 2020, 08:35:28 AM
I try to visualize that. :D

Yeah, I just felt I had to throw in that Dutch expression.
You're the first to react, lol.
I wonder why, he said 'knowingly'.

In a way, I wasn't even kidding.
Sometimes music almost leaves me breathless... and then, when I come to my senses and start breathing again, it feels GREAT. :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Marc on February 14, 2020, 10:01:18 AM
Yeah, I just felt I had to throw in that Dutch expression.
You're the first to react, lol.
I wonder why, he said 'knowingly'.

But it's a perfectly standard English expression, grabbed me by the neck, grabbed me by the throat. That's why there was no reaction!

Marc

Quote from: Mandryka on February 14, 2020, 11:20:57 AM
But it's a perfectly standard English expression, grabbed me by the neck, grabbed me by the throat. That's why there was no reaction!

Really?

:laugh:

I do remember when writing it down, I thought to myself "now come on, Marc... this is a perfect Dutch 'I took you by the nose' (meaning: I fooled you) mistake", but decided to post it anyway.

Well, thanks... because, thanks to you, mr. Mandryka, I am now monkeyproud of my unexpected hidden natural knowledge of the English language.

JBS

Quote from: Marc on February 14, 2020, 11:52:54 AM
Really?

:laugh:

I do remember when writing it down, I thought to myself "now come on, Marc... this is a perfect Dutch 'I took you by the nose' (meaning: I fooled you) mistake", but decided to post it anyway.

Well, thanks... because, thanks to you, mr. Mandryka, I am now monkeyproud of my unexpected hidden natural knowledge of the English language.

The English version of that is "lead you around by the nose". ;D

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Marc

Quote from: JBS on February 14, 2020, 12:01:41 PM
The English version of that is "lead you around by the nose". ;D

Well, there you go. We have so much in common. Even the love for a German composer (or two... or even more...). ;)

staxomega

I've heard some older Kooiman CDs and really enjoyed them, the chances of finding more are slim. Some of it is covered in his last incomplete integrale on Aeolus, but this is an expensive set. My question is are the interpretations from his students worthwhile hearing/at a high level to make it worth it?

Mandryka

Quote from: hvbias on February 23, 2020, 07:48:50 AM
I've heard some older Kooiman CDs and really enjoyed them, the chances of finding more are slim. Some of it is covered in his last incomplete integrale on Aeolus, but this is an expensive set. My question is are the interpretations from his students worthwhile hearing/at a high level to make it worth it?

Klapprott is I think the quintessential German-style craftsman musician. Bildungsbuergertum -- to use the word Jens taught me.

There was this discussion with me and Harry at the end of last year, I'm afraid it won't be much help!

Quote from: Mandryka on December 01, 2019, 08:03:59 AM

Attention everybody, a very fine orgelbuchlein here and easily passed over. Good instrument (Arlesheim) well recorded, serious interpretation, beautifully conceived registrations. Bernhard Klapprott, maybe I should say, the great Bernhard Klapprott, on the organ. CDs 18 and 19 of the big Aeolus box.

The other things ain't half bad either - trio sonata etc, concerto etc.

Quote from: "Harry" on December 01, 2019, 10:30:26 AM
I have that box, obviously for the playing by Ewald, first 8 CD'S if memory serves me correct, but I am not that positive about Klapprott. Good instrument, yes, well recorded, yes, serious, well yes, but not always, good registrations, also yes, but I simply miss the last ounce of excellence which would convince me, that it is truly a magnificent interpretation.
The other things ain't half bad either, puzzles me excessively!

Quote from: Mandryka on December 01, 2019, 09:24:10 PM
Ain't half bad = rather good. I'm not sure if it's just a British way of speaking, or whether Americans use it too.

(Thanks for listening carefully to it, by the way!)

If you send me a PM I'll let you have some of Kooiman's out of print Bach recordings.

staxomega

Quote from: Mandryka on February 23, 2020, 08:12:38 AM
Klapprott is I think the quintessential German-style craftsman musician. Bildungsbuergertum -- to use the word Jens taught me.

There was this discussion with me and Harry at the end of last year, I'm afraid it won't be much help!

If you send me a PM I'll let you have some of Kooiman's out of print Bach recordings.

Very useful, and I'll send you a PM, thank you. I don't really know how to use this forum's search engine for in thread searches.

Expanding my borders beyond the sets I've owned for a while is really elevating my understanding of JS Bach's organ music. I'm hearing more than just the obvious differences in registrations, ornaments, rubato, tempi, etc. It's really making me love this music more than I already did, which was already quite a bit.

This morning I heard Leonhardt playing BWV 668, so heavenly it's almost enough to tip over an agnostic.

Marc

Quote from: hvbias on February 23, 2020, 09:21:33 AM
[...]
This morning I heard Leonhardt playing BWV 668, so heavenly it's almost enough to tip over an agnostic.

That's probably the reason why I, being someone who left the church as a 'certified' non-believer, keep listening to this stuff. ;)

(Not really true though. It's just great music to my ears. A fine performance of BWV 668 gives me a feeling of serene comfort and peace, no matter what my beliefs are or were)

Mandryka

Quote from: hvbias on February 23, 2020, 09:21:33 AM

STOP. NEVER LISTEN TO THAT AGAIN. IT'S THE OPIUM OF THE PEOPLE.

vers la flamme

Hooked on this at the moment. Are there more good single discs of Walcha playing highlights of Bach's organ music? I am still a newcomer to this segment of his works and don't want to invest in the big box.