Author Topic: J.S. Bach on the Organ  (Read 583051 times)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: J.S. Bach on the Organ
« Reply #3220 on: April 29, 2021, 10:22:45 AM »
Sixth trio sonata at Uithuizen

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/slfSTazbYhE&amp;ab_channel=NetherlandsBachSociety" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/slfSTazbYhE&amp;ab_channel=NetherlandsBachSociety</a>
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 12:44:02 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #3221 on: June 10, 2021, 07:55:16 PM »
I listened to three recordings of Bach's Prelude and Fugue BWV248, "The Wedge."

The Alain digital set

The Weinberg set

The Andra Isoir set

For many years the Alain set has been my reference, but I must admit I enjoyed the Isoir set most of all. Wonderful clarity of line, whereas Alain tended towards the clamorous. I don't know whether to attribute that to registration, the instrument, or the recording technique. I think Isoir may become my new reference.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3222 on: June 12, 2021, 12:29:40 AM »
I haven’t heard Isoir, Weinberger is too rushed, Alain III is rather spoilt by the memory of the glorious Alain II wedge. Leonhardt set the standard for me though, and I would hate to be without Werner Jacob.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:44:10 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #3223 on: June 12, 2021, 01:20:55 AM »
I haven’t heard Isoir, Weinberger is too rushed, Alain III is rather spoilt by the memory of the glorious Alain II wedge. Leonhardt set the standard for me though, and I would hate to be without Werner Jacob.

After posting this I also listened to Alain II, and it is indeed splendid and perhaps the best of the lot.

At one point I had the Werner Jacob EMI set but sold it, for some reason, probably to buy Alain III.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3224 on: June 12, 2021, 03:18:49 AM »
After posting this I also listened to Alain II, and it is indeed splendid and perhaps the best of the lot.

At one point I had the Werner Jacob EMI set but sold it, for some reason, probably to buy Alain III.

Jacob just does something a bit magical, he gives the prelude a sort of relief, a 3D texture. I can't explain it any better. 

Offline Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #3225 on: June 12, 2021, 08:32:15 AM »
Jacob just does something a bit magical, he gives the prelude a sort of relief, a 3D texture. I can't explain it any better.

My recollection is that it was an early CD release and I found the high end slightly harsh, as was not uncommon in those days. If I could wish it back I would.