J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by premont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selig

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on August 15, 2021, 11:49:42 PM
I think this (Martin Souter) is an excellent Leipzig Chorales, clear and languid playing on a beautiful organ.

I will happily include this on the list.

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on August 15, 2021, 11:49:42 PM
He never recorded the complete Leipzig chorales, but what we have from Piet Wiersma (around half of them I think) is of course exceptional.

In my previous Bach chunk "journeys", Wiersma has been a standout, for example in the trio sonatas. But this time it's only 6/18 recorded :( (Unless there are more Wiersma recordings out there than I realize.) Maybe the most incomplete chunk of his cycle.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 16, 2021, 01:19:28 AM
And maybe Leo van Doeselaar even more. I consider him to be the greatest living exponent of the Dutch style.

Leo van Doeselaar is interesting, when you watch him he makes lots of movements as if he is working very hard (while a lot of organists dislike that and there's the idea that you should sit still as much as possible at the console, I don't find it an issue) but his musical style isn't as radical or flamboyant as that would suggest.

premont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on August 16, 2021, 10:56:27 AM
Leo van Doeselaar is interesting, when you watch him he makes lots of movements as if he is working very hard (while a lot of organists dislike that and there's the idea that you should sit still as much as possible at the console, I don't find it an issue) but his musical style isn't as radical or flamboyant as that would suggest.

I use to call his style titanic, rather than flamboyant. There is something extremely forceful and energetic but still very disciplined about his Bach playing , no matter how he sits at the console.

I suppose, you know this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj5KzWtY3IY

as well as his Bach recordings from Alkmaar.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Selig on August 16, 2021, 07:16:04 AM
I will happily include this on the list.

Considering Souter, I found him a bit sweet.

I own Helga Schauerte's Leipzig chorales, but haven't listened to them yet, the same as to  Jörg Halubek. Generally I find Schauerte's Bach interesting.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 16, 2021, 03:20:28 PM
Considering Souter, I found him a bit sweet.

I own Helga Schauerte's Leipzig chorales, but haven't listened to them yet, the same as to  Jörg Halubek. Generally I find Schauerte's Bach interesting.

Schauerte's BWV 542 is quite interesting, the organ she plays it on is in quite a meanish tuning so there are some very naughty dissonances in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZCNth6aR5U

Selig

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on August 17, 2021, 05:27:03 PM
Schauerte's BWV 542 is quite interesting, the organ she plays it on is in quite a meanish tuning so there are some very naughty dissonances in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZCNth6aR5U

Coincidentally I heard this organ for the first time yesterday, when looking up recordings by Andreas Liebig. He plays BWV 648 & 733 there, and a nice obscurity, this ricercar by Carolus Luython: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzu8h_NRb2k

Selig

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM
Hubert Meister 1 CD for Motette on the Silbermann organs in Grosshartmannsdorf and Forchheim (contains the triosonates).

Going to order this, and I'm considering the other trio sonatas recording which is also available on Motette, by Wolfgang Baumgratz. Can you comment on it, if you know it?

premont

Quote from: Selig on December 02, 2021, 03:04:04 PM
Going to order this, and I'm considering the other trio sonatas recording which is also available on Motette, by Wolfgang Baumgratz. Can you comment on it, if you know it?

I don't know Wolfgang Baumgratz' triosonatas. But Hubert Meister's triosonatas - likewise on Motette - on Silbermann organs is very worthwhile.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

bioluminescentsquid

New double-double CD release by Jörg Halubek, featuring among other things the complete Orgelbüchlein and partitas.

JBS

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on December 07, 2021, 02:27:00 PM

New double-double CD release by Jörg Halubek, featuring among other things the complete Orgelbüchlein and partitas.

The geographical co-ordinates mark the organs?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

bioluminescentsquid

Exactly! Slightly more interesting than "volume 1" "volume 6" etc. I guess

Selig

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 14, 2021, 01:41:13 PM
Cristina Garcia Banegas

Calm and colourful but what I like the most is: she makes BWV 660 sound more hellish than any other version I've heard so far.

Hopefully I warm up to Schauerte, she's interesting but not as immediate and lovely as Banegas

Selig

How I'm feeling right now:

651 Foccroulle
652 ??
653 Van Doeselaar
654 Matter
655 Koopman Ottobeuren
656 Koopman Ottobeuren
657 Walcha Cappel
658 Foccroulle
659 Walcha Strasbourg
660 Banegas
661 Kraft
662 Koopman s'Hertogenbosch
663 Alain II
664 Beekman
665 Banegas
666 Leonhardt
667 Chorzempa
668 Beekman

I wonder if anyone else has struggled with the lengthy 652 or has a particular favourite recording for this work. I may not have the attention span for it right now.

Haven't heard Pieter van Dijk yet, looking forward to it.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on December 07, 2021, 02:27:00 PM

Should I try this again? It seemed colorless.

Selig

Quote from: milk on March 22, 2022, 03:31:08 AM
Should I try this again? It seemed colorless.

Try the one at Ansbach maybe, that instrument is anything but colorless

Selig

Quote from: Mandryka on March 22, 2022, 03:14:20 AM
Here's a 652 I like, just to make it fun I've made it a blind test!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fcAs7WkavG64RUs-vUFMLS2AlNeXCr_d/view?usp=sharing

Gorgeous, my first thought was it sounds like the Netherlands, it is surely Wiersma........ The blind aspect probably made me focus better.

Do his CDs include registrations in the notes? That would make me want to try to collect them.

Mandryka

Quote from: Selig on March 22, 2022, 05:19:05 AM

Do his CDs include registrations in the notes?

That, I can't say.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Selig on March 22, 2022, 05:19:05 AM
Gorgeous, my first thought was it sounds like the Netherlands, it is surely Wiersma........ The blind aspect probably made me focus better.

Do his CDs include registrations in the notes? That would make me want to try to collect them.

His style really is unmistakable.