J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by premont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 23, 2022, 02:27:07 PM
Jens E. Christensen's AoF is like no other. I have to be in the right mood to listen to it all at once.

I just reminded myself that France Orgue says that Christensen recorded the trio sonatas. We once talked about it, and you thought it may not be true and that you may write to him and ask. Did you do it? I like the Copenhagen organ very much: sweet and noble.

I played the AoF again - it is one of my favourites. Almost mystical, ecstatic.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 23, 2022, 11:55:51 PM
I just reminded myself that France Orgue says that Christensen recorded the trio sonatas. We once talked about it, and you thought it may not be true and that you may write to him and ask. Did you do it? I like the Copenhagen organ very much: sweet and noble.

I played the AoF again - it is one of my favourites. Almost mystical, ecstatic.

Yes. He answered me, that he never have recorded any triosonatas for Kontrapunkt. The only triosonata he has recorded is no.6 for Helikon (also on the organ in Vor Frelsers Kirke, Copenhagen), here:

http://www.helikonrecords.dk/1072.htm

which also is the sonically most successful recording of this organ I have heard.

P.S: You are probably aware, that Chapuis recorded all the triosonatas on this organ, and that Rogg recorded the sonatas 1,2,3 & 4 there (his latest recording for EMI).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Ah, I've written to Helikon to see if they'll supply it in London. It doesn't seem to be available on any of the usual distribution channels. Thanx.

Mandryka

I listened to Jens Christensen's CU3 last night, and somehow felt it didn't have the same magic as AoF. I particularly didn't enjoy his way with the manualiter chorales;  the pedaliter Kyrie (s) and Christe were exceptional I thought. All subject to revision of course.  I'll listen to the orgelbuchlein later I think.

Mandryka

And Helikon are a nice old fashioned company, a pleasure to deal with.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 26, 2022, 07:47:12 AM
And Helikon are a nice old fashioned company, a pleasure to deal with.

Yes, indeed. It's a very small company, the director and the engineer being the same person.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: hvbias on September 23, 2022, 02:33:31 PM
Speaking of old friends I was listening to Gerd Zacher play AoF earlier this afternoon. Among my favorite JSB organ albums.

Noted and I will revisit it. My biggest beef with it is that it leaves out the best music in AoF!  The complicated canons.

Mandryka

A predictably unpredictable and original trio sonata from Jens E Christensen.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 08, 2022, 01:18:51 AM
A predictably unpredictable and original trio sonata from Jens E Christensen.

:)

Yes, a pity he didn't record them all.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Elk

I feel fortunate to have just bought the complete Kooiman's first recordings for KMK, LPs, in mint condition. I post here because some of you feel my fortune. I already own and play, in 5 channels, his, and others, Aeolus set.

premont

Quote from: Elk on October 12, 2022, 02:37:46 PM
I feel fortunate to have just bought the complete Kooiman's first recordings for KMK, LPs, in mint condition. I post here because some of you feel my fortune. I already own and play, in 5 channels, his, and others, Aeolus set.

https://www.bach-cantatas.com/NVP/Kooiman.htm

Congratulations.   :)    A rare set, even rarer than the Coronata set. So rare that I have never known anyone who have heard it. I wonder how it compares to the Coronata set and the later Aeolus set.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Elk

Reviews to follow. My first impression of the 4 sides of volume 1 is that there is an ease of performance, not relaxed, but somehow intimate, conversational. The man I bought the set from brought them with him when he immigrated to Canada. I will learn more about him Wednesday when he visits to listen to some organ music on my big 5.0 system. He may yet have some other wonders in his collection.

Mandryka

We all await the needle drops with bated breath.

Mandryka

Mandryka

New release, sounds good to me

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 22, 2022, 11:14:33 AM
New release, sounds good to me

Not quite new (2020), but very good. Great historical organs (St.Jacobi, Lübeck) and a competent organist. My only quibble is, that the programming mostly includes lesser Bach works. Gast has made another equally recommendable recording using the same organs:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8001107--the-organ-in-st-jakobi-lubeck
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: hvbias on September 23, 2022, 02:33:31 PM
Speaking of old friends I was listening to Gerd Zacher play AoF earlier this afternoon. Among my favorite JSB organ albums.

Excellent - I've been meaning to get it ever since you said that six weeks ago, and I just did. It's a great success I think - interpretively, organologically and in terms of sound capture. It's such a shame he didn't record the big canons.

Mandryka

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/12/000151621.pdf

Paris Foyer de l'Âme, orgue Quentin Blumenroeder (2009)  - it's got a big tight bass, and is well caught on the CD. Alard plays in a most attractive way - lively. The chorales are stuck on the end of each piece of organ music - so they're not easily avoidable. The choir seems excellent to me. Alard comments

I would like to thank all the singers and their conductors, Marine Fribourg and Émilie Fleury, for agreeing to take part in this unique experience. It was a discovery for all of us, which we shared during the recording sessions. We came to realise that the chorale preludes which make up the Orgelbüchlein (a 'little organ book' unjustly regarded as a set of didactic exercises for beginners) gain a great deal in meaning and expression if they are sung alongside the chorales they introduce. Several musical choices now seem completely natural to me, notably those related to tempo, registration, and figuralisms illustrating the sacred texts. These factors have enabled us to reveal the significance of these chorale preludes, too long 'disconnected' from their popular origins for the most part, even though Martin Luther insisted on that very point in the early sixteenth century.

And listening to it he may just be right to be so enthusiastic - this is defo the high point of the survey so far.

Mandryka

BWV 721 played by one person using a cornet and organ at the same time. That one person is no less than Gerard van Reenen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEqkj8hHvJA&ab_channel=GerardvanReenen

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on August 17, 2019, 09:36:26 AMWinsemius, I meant. Toccata records are hard to find outside NL.

Hello! Paging the squid.  Are you there?

Anyway, Winsemius 547 excellent! (4 years late.)