J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Harry's corner on September 07, 2017, 11:44:11 PM
My gringing box, despite what is said about 19 cd's, holds only 15. Must be a later release with the same cover, when they decided to take 4 discs out.

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 08, 2017, 01:07:04 AM
The original issue of the first 15 CDs was in 3 CDs jewelboxes. I own four of these.
Two (Clavierübung 0 and the one with Alain) of the four other CDs (19 minus 15) were released individually. I do not know about the rest, but probably they were released individually too.

Cheers Harry & premont!
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on September 08, 2017, 02:05:17 AMOh, and for bragging-purposes I am showing off Vernet's signature on my box, which I got after a concert of his at the Wiener Konzerthaus.

Nice!
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Would you please post the link to the note in English? Thank you.
Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 05, 2017, 07:56:00 PM

Landed today. The first thing of note is the beautiful presentation, with the outer box much more hardy and stylish than the dull Amazon image conveys, with a slip-off top. 

The second thing of note is the colorful insides, with the sleeves color-coordinated in rainbow-like shades of the red/purple/blue spectrum.

The third thing of note is the French-only booklet, though thankfully the notes are available in English on the Ligia website.

The fourth thing of note is how physically shaken I was by the jaw-dropping beauty of the music. Not to mention the organ (Gérald Guillemin, Chavagnes, 1988) is a stunner, with Vernet lightening it up for all the music's worth. As disc 1 came to a close (all 65 minutes of it) I was very nearly in a state of euphoric overload.

The fifth thing of note is my box also includes that coupon for the free organ concertos set. However, it remains to be seen if Ligia will deliver to the US. Crossing my fingers.

(The sixth thing of note is I will be tipping my hat to Jeffrey Smith for now until time ends :))

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Forever Electoral College on September 16, 2017, 07:38:58 PM
Would you please post the link to the note in English? Thank you.

Sorry, I made an error...Ligia has no website as far as I can tell. To get the notes in English it's necessary to email them: ligia-digital@sfr.fr.

GioCar

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 16, 2017, 09:40:16 PM
Sorry, I made an error...Ligia has no website as far as I can tell. To get the notes in English it's necessary to email them: ligia-digital@sfr.fr.

Well, I wan trying to get the notes as well, and I've actually found the Ligia website http://www.ligiadigital.com/ but no notes in it.
So thank you for the email address  :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: GioCar on September 16, 2017, 10:28:27 PM
Well, I wan trying to get the notes as well, and I've actually found the Ligia website http://www.ligiadigital.com/ but no notes in it.
So thank you for the email address  :)

Nice find! I looked all over and couldn't find their website at all. :-X 

Mr. Minnow

Has anyone managed to get the English notes for the Vernet reissue from Ligia? I bought the set recently and e-mailed them but never received a reply.

Mr. Minnow

I'd be interested in opinions on Weinberger's CPO set. Reviews of both the complete set and individual volumes seem to be very mixed indeed, both in terms of sound and performance quality. I know it's supposed to be ultra-complete, but the cheapest price I can find is 50 euros plus postage from JPC, so I wouldn't buy it for that alone. Do the high points outweigh the lows?

Parsifal

I like it generally. Some pieces come off well, some less so. I don't know of any set where I like everything. I thing Weinberger's strength is clarity, rather than august sonorities.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on October 26, 2017, 03:54:38 PM
Has anyone managed to get the English notes for the Vernet reissue from Ligia? I bought the set recently and e-mailed them but never received a reply.

For myself, I haven't made an attempt yet, but I have another set already so I haven't exactly worked up the enthusiasm to try. Also, since I don't speak/write French, if I eventually do make the attempt I'll have to rely on Google Translate. I wonder how well that will go over. ;D

Harry

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on October 26, 2017, 03:58:50 PM
I'd be interested in opinions on Weinberger's CPO set. Reviews of both the complete set and individual volumes seem to be very mixed indeed, both in terms of sound and performance quality. I know it's supposed to be ultra-complete, but the cheapest price I can find is 50 euros plus postage from JPC, so I wouldn't buy it for that alone. Do the high points outweigh the lows?

I have listen to the Weinberger set thrice in the last two years and I can honestly say that the majority of it is a virtual delight. Hardly no moments of unease. It is a balanced feat between the spiritual and intellectual. Organs are all fantastic, and the sound is never any less than perfect. You may look at the reviews on my blog. Just type in Bach and Weinberger edition and you'll find the lot.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on October 26, 2017, 03:58:50 PM

If you put it like that: YES! Certainly. In fact, I don't think there are a lot of lows -- if any. It's just that some of the highs are not that high. It's never really sexy, in my mind, but when I opt for a CD from that box among all the others on the shelf, I'm never disappointed, after all and -- much like Harry -- delighted, instead.

prémont

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on October 27, 2017, 06:36:02 AM
If you put it like that: YES! Certainly. In fact, I don't think there are a lot of lows -- if any. It's just that some of the highs are not that high. It's never really sexy, in my mind, but when I opt for a CD from that box among all the others on the shelf, I'm never disappointed, after all and -- much like Harry -- delighted, instead.

Actually I think his playing can be very virile.

Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Parsifal

Who could imagine a universe in which people argue whether performance of Bach organ music is sexy or virile?

prémont

Quote from: Scarpia on October 27, 2017, 07:36:20 AM
Who could imagine a universe in which people argue whether performance of Bach organ music is sexy or virile?

;D

I often see the word "virile" used about recordings or rather interpretations, but this is the first time I have seen the word "sexy" used, and I find it disproportionate in relation to music, and this caused my reaction above.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 27, 2017, 07:44:26 AM
;D

I often see the word "virile" used about recordings or rather interpretations, but this is the first time I have seen the word "sexy" used, and I find it disproportionate in relation to music, and this caused my reaction above.

Well, I guess by "sexy" I mean in good part how I feel about it, in anticipation. I think of Richter's Bach as "sexy" -- ditto some of Alain's II and Rübsam I. I suppose an idea of lushness... even (horror: catholicism) comes into play. With Weinberger, Stockmeier et al, I don't have that feeling. But I understand your hesitating, coming across what is admittedly a sloppy description.

prémont

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on October 27, 2017, 08:02:04 AM
Well, I guess by "sexy" I mean in good part how I feel about it, in anticipation. I think of Richter's Bach as "sexy" -- ditto some of Alain's II and Rübsam I. I suppose an idea of lushness... even (horror: catholicism) comes into play. With Weinberger, Stockmeier et al, I don't have that feeling. But I understand your hesitating, coming across what is admittedly a sloppy description.

Concerning Rübsam I and Richter this is very much what I would - and did - call virile. More politically correct I would probably say energetic.

Marc

Quote from: Scarpia on October 27, 2017, 07:36:20 AM

For that, I only have to close my eyes...

Quote from: Marc on April 17, 2009, 10:48:23 PM
[...]
I'm still busy travelling on my organ quest. Maybe I'll turn into some kind of a Lancelot .... and who knows what fair maid is waiting for me! ;D

Let's dream on: entering the Oude Kerk in Delft, and listening to Scarlett Johansson (dressed as Griet from the movie Girl with a pearl earring) playing Bach on the organ. 8)

:P

prémont

Quote from: Marc on October 27, 2017, 12:54:21 PM
For that, I only have to close my eyes...

:P

So it would be frustrating for you, if the performance in question was a real eye-opener?

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot