J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by premont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: Selig on August 01, 2021, 08:06:41 PM
I'll take note of this. Unfortunately 546 is not included on the original issue.

I thought of this, which I once owned as LP and digitized BWV 544 and 546 and a few of the chorales.

https://www.discogs.com/J-S-Bach-Enzio-Forsblom-Organ-Music-by-J-S-Bach/release/13262914

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Selig

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 02, 2021, 01:35:54 AM
I thought of this, which I once owned as LP and digitized BWV 544 and 546 and a few of the chorales.

https://www.discogs.com/J-S-Bach-Enzio-Forsblom-Organ-Music-by-J-S-Bach/release/13262914

Interesting, I didn't consider the possibility of multiple recordings. So the 544 I heard was recorded in Frederikshavn, not Ribe

In 1957 Forsblom wrote his thesis about interpreting Bach's organ works. When the libraries open up again in Stockholm I will see what he had to say...

premont

Quote from: Selig on August 02, 2021, 11:22:51 PM

In 1957 Forsblom wrote his thesis about interpreting Bach's organ works. When the libraries open up again in Stockholm I will see what he had to say...

I read id thirty-five years ago, by then inspiring reading.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Selig

It is time for me to start a Leipzig chorale journey, but first I need to find some recordings of interest. I would really appreciate it if anyone has suggestions for historical instruments in particular. So far I have noted:

Weinberger/cpo
Foccroulle/Ricercar (recommended in this thread)
Koopman/Teldec
Beekman/Lindenberg (mentioned in this thread by Marc as his #1 choice)

Who else is interesting on historical instruments?

Que

Quote from: Selig on August 14, 2021, 09:44:42 AM
It is time for me to start a Leipzig chorale journey, but first I need to find some recordings of interest. I would really appreciate it if anyone has suggestions for historical instruments in particular. So far I have noted:

Weinberger/cpo
Koopman/Teldec

Complete cycle: Olivier Vernet (Ligia).
And probably Ewald Kooiman & pupils (Aeolus) might be of interest - provided you like Silbermann organs, though I've only heard samples.

Additional recommendations:
The 6CD Koopman set on Brilliant.
Clavier-Übung III by Felix Friedrich (Motette), Toccatas by Léon Berben (Ramée), and some individual recordings by Stefan Bleicher and Jean-Charles Ablitzer.

Finally there is the multiple performers complete Hänssler set to consider, with all HIP playing but not exclusively on historical organs. Not a bad place to start.

Mandryka

Weinberger/cpo
Koopman/Teldec

My favourite at the moment is Pieter Van Dijk at Alkmaar.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Most recordings use modern organs but here are a few more more than listenable recordings on restored baroque organs:

Cristina Garcia Banegas
Daniel Chorzempa
Kåre Nordstoga
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Selig

Quote from: Que on August 14, 2021, 10:21:34 AM
Additional recommendations:
The 6CD Koopman set on Brilliant.
Clavier-Übung III by Felix Friedrich (Motette), Toccatas by Léon Berben (Ramée), and some individual recordings by Stefan Bleicher and Jean-Charles Ablitzer.

This list is suspiciously similar to the original post of this thread $:)

So I have made note of these before, but now I will make them high priority!

I like exploring Bach one "chunk" at a time though, and right now my focus is the Leipzig chorales BWV 651-668.

Quote from: Que on August 14, 2021, 10:21:34 AM
Finally there is the multiple performers complete Hänssler set to consider, with all HIP playing but not exclusively on historical organs. Not a bad place to start.

Ah, I forgot Hänssler! Bryndorf on the Wagner organ must go on the list.

Selig

Quote from: Mandryka on August 14, 2021, 10:23:29 AM

Definitely interesting, thank you.

JBS

I'm not sure which organ he used, but I like Rubsam's recording (on Naxos).

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Selig

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 14, 2021, 01:41:13 PM
Most recordings use modern organs

I'm interested in those too. Here is my Leipzig chorale priority list for modern instruments. Let me know if you have any suggestions that are non-cycle or part of a cycle but sold separately!

Rubsam/Naxos
Herrick/Hyperion
Lagacé/Analekta
(maybe) Lippincott (because I like her Art of Fugue)

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 14, 2021, 01:41:13 PM
here are a few more more than listenable recordings on restored baroque organs:

Cristina Garcia Banegas
Daniel Chorzempa
Kåre Nordstoga

Thank you! I had written down Chorzempa but wasn't sure if he belonged in the PI pile. The organ seems 19th century, but in baroque style?

Selig

Quote from: JBS on August 14, 2021, 06:08:22 PM
I'm not sure which organ he used, but I like Rubsam's recording (on Naxos).

Organ built 1985 in Worcester, Massachusetts. I've heard some Rubsam that I like a lot, like his trio sonatas, so this interests me.

JBS

Quote from: Selig on August 14, 2021, 06:49:06 PM

Organ built 1985 in Worcester, Massachusetts. I've heard some Rubsam that I like a lot, like his trio sonatas, so this interests me.

Interesting. I didn't have the Chorales recording handy, but I happen to have the CD with three of the trio sonatas on the table near me, and that was recorded in the Martinikerk of Groningen. I didn't realize he hopped all over the place for the Naxos recordings.

IIRC all his recent recordings have been done in what is now his home turf, Indiana.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Walcha used the Cappel Schnitger for his 1952 recording. Craig Humber recorded them for MDG on the Freiburg Silberman. Pierre Bourdon used the St Maximin. Werner Jacob used a bunch of different organs for his 18 chorales.

Maybe the most imaginative set of Leipzig chorales I know, from the point of view of interpretation, is Bert Matter at Zutphen. The recording quality is not bad. The performance has lost its lustre for me, I don't enjoy it as much as others.

I'm very keen on Chorzempa's recording, but this is obviously a matter of taste.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on August 14, 2021, 10:23:29 AM

Pricey, but seems definitely worth looking into.  :)
By absence of the availability of Kooiman's cycle on Coronata, I stil don't have a  cycle in "typically Dutch" style.

Quote from: Selig on August 14, 2021, 05:55:35 PM
This list is suspiciously similar to the original post of this thread $:)

So I have made note of these before, but now I will make them high priority!

Old favourites never die...  :D
I'm still thankfull to premont for providing that list, from which I forgot to mention the Martin Sander recording.

Mandryka

Quote from: Selig on August 14, 2021, 06:49:06 PM

The trio sonatas are sui generis, he told me he recorded all six through a single night.

staxomega

Quote from: Que on August 14, 2021, 10:54:08 PM
By absence of the availability of Kooiman's cycle on Coronata, I stil don't have a  cycle in "typically Dutch" style.

What do you consider the Dutch style? From my small sample size of Kooiman and Bram Beekman I would characterize them as very sharply articulated. Both of them have that "heavenly" quality when the music calls for it. I desperately want that Piet Lindenberg reissue of Beekman's cycle to come to fruition (hello Traverso if you see this and have an update! ;D )

bioluminescentsquid

Late to the party, but hopefully not too late:

I think this (Martin Souter) is an excellent Leipzig Chorales, clear and languid playing on a beautiful organ.

He never recorded the complete Leipzig chorales, but what we have from Piet Wiersma (around half of them I think) is of course exceptional.
On the other (fast) side, I actually like Koopman from his 1999 Integrale a lot, feels like a joyride.
Beekman's Leipzigs on the Aa kerk organ are also top of the line, although of course you know those already. Kooiman was less interesting to me.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: hvbias on August 15, 2021, 02:01:05 PM
What do you consider the Dutch style? From my small sample size of Kooiman and Bram Beekman I would characterize them as very sharply articulated. Both of them have that "heavenly" quality when the music calls for it. I desperately want that Piet Lindenberg reissue of Beekman's cycle to come to fruition (hello Traverso if you see this and have an update! ;D )

Relatively austere but maybe with flamboyance deep beneath the surface, beautiful and no-nonsense phrasing. Jacques van Oortmerssen also comes to mind.

Re: complete cycles (or in progress), Cor Ardesch! Another very Dutch player.

premont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on August 15, 2021, 11:51:46 PM
Relatively austere but maybe with flamboyance deep beneath the surface, beautiful and no-nonsense phrasing. Jacques van Oortmerssen also comes to mind.

And maybe Leo van Doeselaar even more. I consider him to be the greatest living exponent of the Dutch style.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν