J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by premont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: Que on July 03, 2007, 08:42:21 AM
Another request for your comments - anyone familiar with this series on Berlin Classics?

Johann Sebastian Bach - Das Orgelwerk auf Silbermann Orgeln

(Zweitauseneins has them cheap!  8))

Thanks! :)
Q

I don't have the complete set (45 Euros and less on Amazon.de, $77 and less on Amazon.com -- but I've lobbied Berlin Classics (so far unsuccessfully) to send it over, alright. I did buy several volumes of this when Tower went out of business, and I must say that I did not regret buying any of them. I like that sumptuous, comfortable sound (distortion happens here and there, reminding me perhaps of the tapes my dad made for me of the Bach organ works when I was a wee lad) and the slightly indulgent playing on these moderate-sized instruments. I also quite liked Kevin Bowyer's (similarly luxurious) style in the three, four copies I picked up from that cycle. (Organ Mass, for example.)

But having worked my way through Weinberger over Thanksgiving, I must say that I like his slightly dryer, understated approach quite a bit, too. Especially in the smaller works that works very well... although I like an organist who juices the "biggest hits" a little more. To that effect, Karl Richter is still absolutely essential. And I like Isoir's AoF quite a bit better. Unfortunately (??) it's the only part of his Bach cycle I have. But then, I'd have too many, anyway. Stockmeier still somewhere on the shelves, too - Fagius, of course [bec. part of the Brilliant box]... and plans on getting one of the Walcha sets, too.

Does anyone have opinions (informed ones, preferably) on Walcha's stereo set [mouse-over link for small picture of cover] and incomplete mono set? And what kind of a re-issue is this? (Presumably the out-of-copyright mono set??) And anyone experience with Knud Vad's set, available on SACD for "an apple & an egg"? (Well, in Europe/Germany, at least.)

From my "Best of 2008" choices for WETA:
Weinberger doesn't aim for bombast (near-impossible, on the historic instruments from Saxony and Thuringia, anyway), and he is not the most impressive in some of the 'biggest hits' works. (Karl Richter's 3 CD set is still a mandatory addition to any Bach organ collection, no matter who the interpreter). But apart from minor quibbles, it is a magnificent complete set.

Que

Recently got this. Diapason d'Or & Grand Prix du Disque, and all that. And I know the recording has quite a few admirers, but to me it's a bit of a disappointment really...  ::)
I feel it's underpowered and underarticulated. Sounds actually rather "old fashioned" in approach. I'm not against the use of legato in Bach organ works, but this is clearly overdone IMO.
One and a half hour of smooth, whispering Bach is too much for me. If this is the best Isoir has to offer, I'll happily pass over the rest, no offence! :)

Q

Bulldog

Any opinions on the Margaret Phillips cycle on the Regent label?

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

Quote from: Que on January 18, 2009, 02:42:17 AM

Diapason d'Or & Grand Prix du Disque,

Which, as we know, are good indicators of the Frenchness of the product.  ;)

Que

Coopmv

Here are the Bach CD-sets in my collection.

Lionel Rogg      Complete Bach Organ Works       EMI (LP)
Werner Jacob   Complete Bach Organ Works       EMI
Helmut Walcha Complete Bach Organ Works       Document (historical)
Helmut Walcha Complete Bach Organ Works       Archive
Hans Fagius     Complete Bach Organ Works       Brilliant Classics
Peter Hurford   Complete Bach Organ Works       London

I also have many single CD's of Bach Organ Works on Erato by Marie-Claire Alain, quite a good number of CD's by Chorzempa on Philips, by Karl Richter and Simon Preston on DG, etc.

jlaurson

Quote from: opus67 on February 10, 2009, 06:13:58 AM
[/url

This set, I take it, differs from this:

Because about the latter, I've heard some very unflattering things.

jwinter

My taste for Bach on the organ seems to be a bit old-fashioned.  I have Walcha's stereo set, and enjoy it a great deal.  I also have a couple of singles from Werner Jacob and E Powers Biggs (best organist name ever).

If I wanted to try a disc or two of more "modern" Bach organ recordings, what would you recommend?  Preferably something that has a good version of the Passacaglia & Fugue (yes, I know it's probably the organ equivalent of an old warhorse, but I love that piece...).
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

jlaurson

Quote from: jwinter on February 11, 2009, 05:19:35 AM
My taste for Bach on the organ seems to be a bit old-fashioned.  I have Walcha's stereo set, and enjoy it a great deal.  I also have a couple of singles from Werner Jacob and E Powers Biggs (best organist name ever).

If I wanted to try a disc or two of more "modern" Bach organ recordings, what would you recommend?  Preferably something that has a good version of the Passacaglia & Fugue (yes, I know it's probably the organ equivalent of an old warhorse, but I love that piece...).

BWV 582 is one of my absolute favorites, too.

There is a lovely recording of 5 versions of 582 on Signum. Unfortunately not easily available in the US or UK, but still in Germany and France (via Amazon).

AmazonUK
- AmazonGermany - AmazonFrance

The "straight" performance--on an organ of Bach's time without fancy register changes--might be the most compelling one. Very simple, very no-nonsense... and establishing precisely that necessary "necessarily, compelling, inescapable momentum" that makes it so special.
Also includes Two Pianos (very good), solo piano, Stokowski-orchestral, and Liszt-Organ versions.

This isn't modern, either, but it also includes a sublime Passacaglia and is in any case the best 3-CD set of Bach organ music that can be had: Karl Richter on DG (mentioned at some length in my "Best of 2005" and having only grown since, in my appreciation.)

Among modern Bach organ performances that also include a wonderful Passacaglia, I'd chose Bowyers. It's Volume 9 of his series on Nimbus.

Bulldog

Quote from: jwinter on February 11, 2009, 05:19:35 AM

Check out "Baroque Organ Triology" on the Pro Organo label played by Claudia Dumschat.  Wonderful performances of BWV 582 and a few other Bach works.  Also has a couple of Buxtehude and Bruhns organ works.  Easily one of my favorite organ discs of baroque music.  BUT, nobody plays BWV 582 as well as Biggs.

jwinter

Thanks for the suggestions!  :)  
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Que

Quote from: jlaurson on February 11, 2009, 03:57:46 AM
This set, I take it, differs from this:

Because about the latter, I've heard some very unflattering things.

Yes, they are different. The latter are the recordings previously issued on the Swiss Novalis label.
I'm surprised about what you heard about - FWIW I think it's top notch Bach organ playing and I believe I'm not alone in this opinion.

Q

premont

Quote from: Que on February 11, 2009, 11:09:11 AM
Yes, they are different. The latter are the recordings previously issued on the Swiss Novalis label.
I'm surprised about what you heard about - FWIW I think it's top notch Bach organ playing and I believe I'm not alone in this opinion.

Q

No, you are not alone in this opinion, except maybe concerning vol. One (with BWV 565 and 542), which I find a tad too willful and overembellished - often the problem with Koopman.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Schübler Chorales are among my most favorite Bach organ pieces. 

Coopmv

I find this historical set by Walcha an excellent set to own.  I am a little half way through the set.  For under $20, this was heck of a bargain and the SQ is quite good too ...

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on February 13, 2009, 10:22:50 AM
I find this historical set by Walcha an excellent set to own.  ... and the SQ is quite good too ...

What is SQ??
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dr. Dread

Coopmv

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on February 13, 2009, 01:34:30 PM
sound quality ...

Thanks. For a moment I thought, you meant Stereo Quality, and this is a mono recording.
BTW compared to the DG original release, the Membram release has obviously been "injected" with some ambience, altogether tastefully done, but constituting an unnecessary addition. But still the Membran release is a steal.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν