J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by premont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on February 13, 2009, 01:48:58 PM
Thanks. For a moment I thought, you meant Stereo Quality, and this is a mono recording.
BTW compared to the DG original release, the Membram release has obviously been "injected" with some ambience, altogether tastefully done, but constituting an unnecessary addition. But still the Membran release is a steal.

I also have the Archive version, which is still in cellophane.  I have not even finished listenng to this historical set yet. 

Que

Quote from: premont on February 13, 2009, 01:48:58 PM
Thanks. For a moment I thought, you meant Stereo Quality, and this is a mono recording.
BTW compared to the DG original release, the Membram release has obviously been "injected" with some ambience, altogether tastefully done, but constituting an unnecessary addition. But still the Membran release is a steal.

Could be LP transfers?

Q

premont

Quote from: Que on February 14, 2009, 12:05:21 AM
Could be LP transfers?

Q

Yes, certainly LP transfers. But still the ambience is added compared to the original recordings.
I know, because I own a considerable part of the original Archive LPs as well as the Archive The Original´s CD release  - and of course the Membran release.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on February 13, 2009, 01:52:15 PM
I also have the Archive version, which is still in cellophane.  I have not even finished listenng to this historical set yet. 

The Archive The Originals mono CD box? Well you may find the SQ of this preferable.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on February 14, 2009, 01:58:38 AM
The Archive The Originals mono CD box? Well you may find the SQ of this preferable.

No, it is in full stereo and cost a bit more than the mono box from DOCUMENT.

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on February 14, 2009, 06:28:11 AM
No, it is in full stereo and cost a bit more than the mono box from DOCUMENT.

This is his later stereo integral, a different recording.
I must conclude, that you are well served with his two integrals.
Both are (IMO) a must for a lover of Bach´s organ music.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on February 14, 2009, 07:45:43 AM
This is his later stereo integral, a different recording.
I must conclude, that you are well served with his two integrals.
Both are (IMO) a must for a lover of Bach´s organ music.

I have four other sets of Bach Complete Organ Works and I should be set unless something exceptional comes along, which I seriously doubt ...

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on February 14, 2009, 08:32:44 AM
I have four other sets of Bach Complete Organ Works and I should be set unless something exceptional comes along, which I seriously doubt ...

Well, I have twenty-seven!  :o :o :o
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on February 14, 2009, 09:18:17 AM
Well, I have twenty-seven!  :o :o :o

27 sets of Bach Complete Organ Works?  That is at least 300 CD's.  The smallest set I have consists of 10 CD's (depending on how the works are packaged) and I have 7 sets of CD's on these works ...

71 dB

Quote from: Coopmv on February 14, 2009, 09:24:17 AM
27 sets of Bach Complete Organ Works?  That is at least 300 CD's.  

Yeah, crazy. I have 3 Naxos and 8 CPO discs of Bach's organ works.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

The new erato

I'm listening to the Little Organ Book from the Membran set and find it very fine. I think I paid 9 euros for it.

Coopmv

Quote from: 71 dB on February 14, 2009, 09:33:15 AM
Yeah, crazy. I have 3 Naxos and 8 CPO discs of Bach's organ works.

I must have at least a half-dozen Bach organ works by Wolfgang Rubsam on Naxos, which I forgot to mention.  I doubt I have the full volume though since Naxos tends to sell them as singles rather than a set and I just do not have the patience to hunt out the individual singles ...

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on February 14, 2009, 08:32:44 AM

I only have two complete sets and don't intend on increasing the number.  Big boxes are not my thing.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on February 14, 2009, 09:56:18 AM
I only have two complete sets and don't intend on increasing the number.  Big boxes are not my thing.

As I posted earlier, there are probably not many more than a half-dozen sets of Complete Bach Organ Works out there that are worth collecting.  I have trouble coming up with more than ten organists, dead or alive, whose recordings of these works are worth collecting in my opinion.  Helmut Walcha definitely tops this list ...

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on February 14, 2009, 10:12:53 AM
As I posted earlier, there are probably not many more than a half-dozen sets of Complete Bach Organ Works out there that are worth collecting.  I have trouble coming up with more than ten organists, dead or alive, whose recordings of these works are worth collecting in my opinion.  Helmut Walcha definitely tops this list ...

Must be because you have not heard them. Most of them are excellent each in their own right.

Walcha first recording
Walcha second recording
Alain second recording
Alain third recrding
Rogg first recording
Rogg second recording
Rogg third recording
Kraft
Chapuis
Isoir
Vernet
Jacob
Rübsam first recording
Rübsam second recording
Lagacé
Weinberger
Ritchie
Köbler, Otto et alii
Vad
Fagius
Herrick
Preston
Stockmeier
Corti
Hurford
Johannesen, Bryndorf et alii
Koopman
Koiiman
Eisenberg

Twenty-nine as far as I can count
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on February 14, 2009, 10:51:34 AM
Must be because you have not heard them. Most of them are excellent each in their own right.

Walcha first recording
Walcha second recording
Alain second recording
Alain third recrding
Rogg first recording
Rogg second recording
Rogg third recording
Kraft
Chapuis
Isoir
Vernet
Jacob
Rübsam first recording
Rübsam second recording
Lagacé
Weinberger
Ritchie
Köbler, Otto et alii
Vad
Fagius
Herrick
Preston
Stockmeier
Corti
Hurford
Johannesen, Bryndorf et alii
Koopman
Koiiman
Eisenberg

Twenty-nine as far as I can count

Did Simon Preston ever record the Complete Bach Organ Works?  I have seen about a half-dozen of his singles over the year.  I have 2 sets of Walcha, 1 set each by Werner Jacobs, Lionel Rogg, Peter Hurford, Hans Fagius and probably have close to the full set by Alain and Rubsam.  I have over 1000 CD's/LP's on works of JS Bach, which cover just about all his major works and have zero desire to expand much more on my current organ works collection.

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on February 14, 2009, 11:03:03 AM
Did Simon Preston ever record the Complete Bach Organ Works?  I have seen about a half-dozen of his singles over the year.  I have 2 sets of Walcha, 1 set each by Werner Jacobs, Lionel Rogg, Peter Hurford, Hans Fagius and probably have close to the full set by Alain and Rubsam.  I have over 1000 CD's/LP's on works of JS Bach, which cover just about all his major works and have zero desire to expand much more on my current organ works collection.

Simon Prestons integral was released by DG approximately seven years ago. Of the above mentioned his is BTW the set I would recommend the least. Next Chapuis´.

But you seem to be better served than most without adding Preston to your collection.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Bulldog on February 14, 2009, 09:56:18 AM

Long time ago you wrote, that you once upon a time spent three years listening exclusively to organ works by Bach. Did you actually listen to the same two sets all the time?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bulldog

Quote from: premont on February 14, 2009, 11:15:27 AM
Long time ago you wrote, that you once upon a time spent three years listening exclusively to organ works by Bach. Did you actually listen to the same two sets all the time?

Of course not.  Most of my listening was through single or double discs.  As you know, there's a ton of Bach organ recordings that have been made.  Just last night, I was listening to some Rogg, Koopman, Phillips, Walcha, Richter, Suzuki, Vernet and Hurford.

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on February 14, 2009, 10:12:53 AM

Totally disagree.  There are many dozens of excellent Bach organists.  Another thing - if you want a wide variety of the best of Bach organ recordings, you need to get off the "complete set" kick.