J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by premont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on February 14, 2009, 12:19:35 PM
Totally disagree.  There are many dozens of excellent Bach organists.  Another thing - if you want a wide variety of the best of Bach organ recordings, you need to get off the "complete set" kick.

Besides my seven complete sets, I do have many CD's by individual organists.  I happen to have a good number of CD's of Bach organ works by Daniel Chorzempa, who I have found to be an excellent organist and an American.  I also have a good number of CD's by Payne, Preston and Heiller.  I am pretty well covered ...

Coopmv

I am aware that Ton Koopman is a terrific organist.  I only have his recordings on organ works by Handel and John Stanley and do not have one CD on Bach organ works by him.  Perhaps I should get started with Koopman.  I have Sweelinck's organ works by Herrick and Liszt's Complete Organ Works by Stefan Johannes Bleicher and again no Bach organ works by either.  Stefan Johannes Bleicher is a promising German organist and will probably record the set at some point.

Coopmv

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on February 14, 2009, 12:28:43 PM
Besides my seven complete sets, I do have many CD's by individual organists.  I happen to have a good number of CD's of Bach organ works by Daniel Chorzempa, who I have found to be an excellent organist and an American.  I also have a good number of CD's by Payne, Preston and Heiller.  I am pretty well covered ...

Have you looked into primarily organ labels including Loft, Pro Organo, Calcante, Priory and Gothic?  There's some gold from those labels that's every bit as good as the Bach organists we talk frequently about such as Walcha, Koopman, etc.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on February 14, 2009, 03:03:52 PM
Have you looked into primarily organ labels including Loft, Pro Organo, Calcante, Priory and Gothic?  There's some gold from those labels that's every bit as good as the Bach organists we talk frequently about such as Walcha, Koopman, etc.

I have CD's by some smaller labels such as ARCANA, OPUS111, Calliope, Priory, Chamade and Tactus, etc.  I just orderd the WTC by Jill Crossland on Signum, the first time I purchased CD's released by this small English label.  I have been collecting the organ works by Johann Ludwig Krebs on the Priory label and I think I am 1 CD away from completing the set of his recorded works on Priory.

Antoine Marchand

I got the Herrick's set (Hyperion, 16 cds) two or three days ago. In the fourth cd of the set -named The Toccatas and Passacaglia- a strange noise is clearly listened in the 3rd track (1:15), at the beginning of the beautiful Toccata, Adagio and Fugue BWV 564  :'(. Is just my cd? Or a recording fault?

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 15, 2009, 10:15:21 AM
I got the Herrick's set (Hyperion, 16 cds) two or three days ago. In the fourth cd of the set -named The Toccatas and Passacaglia- a strange noise is clearly listened in the 3rd track (1:15), at the beginning of the beautiful Toccata, Adagio and Fugue BWV 564  :'(. Is just my cd? Or a recording fault?

No clue, I do not own the set.  It could also be a defect in certain production batch where you set came from.  The member who has 29 versions of Bach Organ Works has this set.  Maybe he can check his set for you ...

premont

I will try a listen to my item of this CD to morrow and report back to you, but there is no noise - as far as I can recall.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bulldog

I just checked it out.  I don't have the set, but I acquired the Toccatas and Passacaglia disc when it was first released.

You are correct, Antoine.  I hear that snippet of interference exactly at 1:15 of the 3rd track; only lasts a fraction of a second.

Antoine Marchand

What a pity because it's a beautiful performance! But at least I'm not the one guy in the world with that horrible noise  >:D. Thanks, guys; especially, Bulldog.

BTW, Premont, what do you think about Corti's recordings? I have heard some pieces and they sounded very, very engaging.

Bulldog

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 15, 2009, 12:23:53 PM
What a pity because it's a beautiful performance! But at least I'm not the one guy in the world with that horrible noise  >:D. Thanks, guys; especially, Bulldog.

You're welcome.  Whenever 1:15 is coming up, lower the volume. 8)

premont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 15, 2009, 12:23:53 PM
What a pity because it's a beautiful performance! But at least I´m not the one guy in the world with that horrible noise  >:D. Thanks, guys; especially, Bulldog.

BTW, Premont, what do you think about Corti's recordings? I have heard some pieces and they sounded very, very engaging.

I like his playing, informed, fresh and filled with emotion. I am not that happy about the Tamburini organs, he uses, and even if they are "classical" in layout, I find their sound less than ideal for Bach. And the actual sound of some of the recordings is rather diffuse (the Art of Fuge maybe the worst), but still the interpretations are rewarding listening.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Thanks, Premont. I was considering The Art of Fugue and The Little Organ Book, but –after your words about the acoustics- I'll search some examples.

premont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 15, 2009, 01:54:10 PM
Thanks, Premont. I was considering The Art of Fugue and The Little Organ Book, but –after your words about the acoustics- I'll search some examples.

I am not sure, that compressed examples will be sufficiently illustrative.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

That is a real problem  ???. It seems that the compressed files don't work very well with some ancient instruments (clavichords, lute-harpsichords, organs). And those discs are rather expensive and not readily available... the worst of all possible worlds.

It will be interesting to read that old thread; thanks, Premont.

Coopmv

Anyone familiar with the organist Margaret Phillips?

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on February 16, 2009, 09:50:33 AM

I have heard this double CD once - half a year ago, when I got it. Since then I have acquired the three other double CDs, she has released so far. But they are in my listening queue, at the moment I concentrate upon LvB´s String Quartets.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on February 16, 2009, 10:21:04 AM
I have heard this double CD once - half a year ago, when I got it. Since then I have acquired the three other double CDs, she has released so far. But they are in my listening queue, at the moment I concentrate upon LvB´s String Quartets.

I will need to finish listening to my 60-CD set of Bach Cantatas by Harnoncourt before I make any new sizable CD purchase.  The Cantatas set is still in its cellophane.

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on February 16, 2009, 09:50:33 AM

I have vols. 3 and 4 from her cycle.  Very enjoyable performances, but nothing special.